Super Bowl

ddraig

Re: Super Bowl

Post by ddraig » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:10 pm

Well, one thing that goes in the favor of the team that plays defense first is that they do know how to play their offensive side. The first possession may or may not score. If they do, you know exactly what needs to be done to win the game or tie it. That means you utilize all four downs to make a first down if you need to. There is no tomorrow!

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:33 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:46 pm
I thought I was gonna win the one point in our CBS Pool this week. Had the 49ers and the lowest tie breaking point total amongst the 49er picks. I am shocked that after riding CMC like a rented mule all year long, they went away from him late yesterday. Then I look at the stats and he had 22 carries. Just glaring when he wasn't used I guess. They should have gone three and out in OT without him even getting a carry, but got bailed out by a defensive holding call. Then they leaned on him, and he got them into scoring range. That said? 22 carries is a decent amount, but 6 of them came in OT. In a game that was that close, 16 carries for CMC is not great.

He didn't manage the clock very well to finish the first half either. You have to give some credit to the Chiefs obviously, but 2 catches for 4 yards for Kittle? Debo had 11 targets and only 3 catches? Not a great day for Shannahan. That said? You don't have a punt bounce off a foot or your kicker makes the Xtra point? And I missed the Xtra point, it wasn't blocked? They kept saying he missed it....I saw the after math of them chasing the ball and just assumed it got blocked.
It was low and blocked because of it so Both.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:36 pm

douche wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:31 pm
From USA Today:

"Chiefs head coach Andy Reid said he doesn't think there's a correct or incorrect way to approach overtime in the playoffs, and he's not about to doubt Shanahan's decision to receive the ball first.

"I'm not sure there's a right answer, necessarily," Reid said. "Ours ended up being the right one. But that easily could've gone the other way. That's what we felt was the right thing to do."
What was the right think to do? Score a TD???? :roll:
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:38 pm

ddraig wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:10 pm
Well, one thing that goes in the favor of the team that plays defense first is that they do know how to play their offensive side. The first possession may or may not score. If they do, you know exactly what needs to be done to win the game or tie it. That means you utilize all four downs to make a first down if you need to. There is no tomorrow!
Yep and the flip side is if you score a TD on the first possession you are guaranteed to get two possessions to the other teams 1. Both options have pros and cons so I think it is completely fair. And the coin flip winner gets to choose so.....
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:26 am

D-train wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:36 pm
douche wrote:
From USA Today:

"Chiefs head coach Andy Reid said he doesn't think there's a correct or incorrect way to approach overtime in the playoffs, and he's not about to doubt Shanahan's decision to receive the ball first.

"I'm not sure there's a right answer, necessarily," Reid said. "Ours ended up being the right one. But that easily could've gone the other way. That's what we felt was the right thing to do."
People are killing Shannahan because he took the ball. The story is that the Chiefs were going to defer if they won the toss, so everyone is making Reid out to be a genius and Shannahan a dolt. I would question some stuff that Kyle did. Mostly only getting Run CMC 16 carries in regulation. But I am not sure there is a real right or wrong in the coin flip. Like I said, I asked a buddy of mine that coaches a lot, and he thinks the defense was gassed and he wanted to get them a breather. No one says shit if the 49ers didn't have to settle for three. Pretty good job by the Chiefs defense once the 9ers got into the Red Zone. KC played some damn good defense the past couple of months. Maybe? Two pretty good football teams played a game and one of them had to lose.

Again, if the Chiefs don't bow up on defense in the Red Zone? The 49ers get another shot, and as DT mentioned? Now they get two possessions to only one for the Chiefs, and the 49ers only need a FG to win. Then? Kyle looks like a genius!

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:04 am

D-train wrote:
douche wrote:
From USA Today:

Think what he was getting at was the decision to kickoff if they had won the toss
That can go either way," Reid said. "We would have kicked the ball off. The officials, actually, are on top of it right away. There were still a couple seconds on the clock and we had the extra officials on the sideline asking me what we would do, and I said we’ll kick off. Patrick was on the field and he was the one who had to do it, and then Dave Toub

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:31 am

Jrod
Attachments
Screenshot_20240213-192923.jpg

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:31 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:04 am
D-train wrote:
douche wrote:
From USA Today:

Think what he was getting at was the decision to kickoff if they had won the toss
That can go either way," Reid said. "We would have kicked the ball off. The officials, actually, are on top of it right away. There were still a couple seconds on the clock and we had the extra officials on the sideline asking me what we would do, and I said we’ll kick off. Patrick was on the field and he was the one who had to do it, and then Dave Toub
Thanks I missed that hypothetical....
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:32 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:04 am
D-train wrote:
douche wrote:
From USA Today:

So the coin flip didn't matter. Chiefs kick off to start OT regardless of how the coin landed. Wild.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:47 pm

A little odd of Reid to throw KS under the bus but I guessed they asked and he was honest.
dt