Free Agency thread

douche

Re: Free Agency thread

Post by douche » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:57 pm

4. The lack of activity at linebacker suggests Macdonald didn't love this free agent crop, may be higher on draft class than experts.

That may be the case, but make no mistake... there are no draft 'experts'.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:10 pm

Well can we all agree there are probably no OGs or LBs worthy of a #16 pick. And there will be at least 4 QBs taken befofe that pick. The signing of Williams also probably means they won't be looking at D line there. Have to hope they can turn that pick into a late 1st and mid 2nd.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:11 pm

douche wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:57 pm
4. The lack of activity at linebacker suggests Macdonald didn't love this free agent crop, may be higher on draft class than experts.

That may be the case, but make no mistake... there are no draft 'experts'.
Well there are, they work for the Seahawks and the other clubs. Funny to call bloggers experts

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:42 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:45 pm
I really don't like that Williams contract. The line last year didn't look any better after he joined the team, alrhough that may have been due to Nwosu going down and facing tougher competition.

Maybe it's about Nwosu, or maybe it is yet another indictment on the dogshit outdated system that was run? We knew one way to play football, and as long as you have Bennett, Avril, Clemons and Irvin off the edge, a huge End like Red Bryant, underpaid fast LBs and the LOB behind them? It was great. I am not the only person that has complained about this horseshit scheme for years. The players have too.
In any case, he didn't look that special to me. Seems to me they overpaid to justify what they gave up to get him, which is the same mistake they made with Adams. Disappointed in Schneider there.
So, Williams was great before he got here, just like Adams. But it must be his fault that he wasn't great after he got here? I am going to lean towards the fact that he is returning and his coaches aren't as enough proof that someone inside the organization agrees with me.

This feels like a step back year to me. That is why they have some role players on short deals. But I am going to be excited to see the changes in scheme. This death by a thousand cuts bullshit Pete employed was awful. It was like he somehow felt that if you give up a TD, but it takes them nine minutes to score it? They get fewer points. Let's not force turnovers, let's not force punts, let's just let them gain five yards every play and hope they either stall in the RedZone or make a mistake!

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:45 pm

I really don't like that Williams contract. The line last year didn't look any better after he joined the team, alrhough that may have been due to Nwosu going down and facing tougher competition. In any case, he didn't look that special to me. Seems to me they overpaid to justify what they gave up to get him, which is the same mistake they made with Adams. Disappointed in Schneider there.
He had an impact
Immediately making an impact in the trenches, Williams stood out as a rare bright spot for the Seahawks in his 10 games after the trade, particularly as an interior pass rusher. Along with tallying four sacks, he finished with 11 quarterback hits and 32 pressures, consistently harassing opposing signal callers. For the season, he finished 13th among defensive tackles in pressures (54) and fifth in quarterback hits (11).

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:57 pm

Fairly certain Williams was 2nd in QB pressures among interior linemen behind only Justin Madibuke following the trade.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:09 pm

He had a 76.2 pass rush grade from PFF which, although above average, is hardly elite. And his run D grade was 68.5 which is in the average range for a starting DT.

He's a good player but on the downside of his career.

Hasslecracked

Post by Hasslecracked » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:10 pm

Giving up a 3rd for Sam Howell might be the dumbest move John Schneider has ever made

Total Deal:

Howell, 4th and a 6th for a 3rd and a 5th

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:08 pm

Hasslecracked wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:10 pm
Giving up a 3rd for Sam Howell might be the dumbest move John Schneider has ever made

Total Deal:

That is not the same as giving up a 3rd though...
dt

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:21 pm

Hasslecracked wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:10 pm

Total Deal:

It is actually a pretty solid deal to get salary relief from a position of need.Howell is not that different from Lock and he makes $3mill less