Geno's Future

auroraave

Re: Geno's Future

Post by auroraave » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:38 pm

So much is made of 'winning in the fourth quarter' on here and complaining about it. You can disagree with it all you want from your keyboard, but maybe y'all should listen to KJ Wright talk about it and what that exact mindset does for the team. Really interesting perspective - reinforcing Carroll's philosophy. As a fan is it maddening? Yup. But it might still be the correct position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG17AZS ... ttleSports

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:03 pm

auroraave wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:38 pm
So much is made of 'winning in the fourth quarter' on here and complaining about it. You can disagree with it all you want from your keyboard, but maybe y'all should listen to KJ Wright talk about it and what that exact mindset does for the team. Really interesting perspective - reinforcing Carroll's philosophy. As a fan is it maddening? Yup. But it might still be the correct position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG17AZS ... ttleSports
I can't imagine the mindset of "fuck it, let's wait until late in the game to try" is a good one. There is a difference between preaching that you never give up, and acting like you don't give a fuck about the beginning of the game. Look at damn near every single playoff loss and tell me if we had not been blown out of the water early, we wouldn't have won? I can't tell you how many games I watched us struggle early, with a game plan that had no shot at succeeding, only to make a valiant comeback and lose. When that happens, you don't wait until your next comeback a month later and act like you can't win in the first, second and third quarters, because you look like a dipshit. You can't win, but you sure can lose, and we do that very often.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:30 pm

My problem has never been if the players buy in. I really don't think any football player with half a brain believes that getting their asses kicked for three quarters is the best way to win football games. My issue is these fucking coaches seem to believe that if we just settle for punts for four quarters, we can fall down by two scores and make it up in the end, when it matters. The guy takes SO MUCH PRIDE in spouting that Bullshit after comebacks, he flat out forgets how many times it didn't work.

Maybe KJ bought in, but there are obviously plenty that didn't, or we wouldn't hear about Kumbaya and Rah Rah meetings when players leave. After the Super Bowl win, we started out pretty poorly. I mean, .500, I think it was 3 and 3 or 4 and 4, something like that. It was a players only meeting that turned it around, not some buy in come to Jesus talk with Pete. Again, KJ would know more, but sometimes I think he is toeing the company line when I hear him speak. He also said that Pete was fed up the players, and Pete didn't seem to care for him saying that. There are plenty of reports that would seem to say his message is being missed, because it is over and over again.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:18 pm

I rarely agree with Russ, but I sure did back then. This statement by him is awesome, and more evidence that all the players doin't believe the game begins in the fourth quarter!
August 2020: Before the 2020 season, Wilson was ranked No. 2 on the NFL’s Top 100 list voted on by players. About the same time, as the “Let Russ Cook” catchphrase gain traction, Wilson said he “definitely” agreed with the sentiment that the passing attack should be more involved in game plans earlier in games. “I mean, rather than us having to be in the fourth quarter to be able to make stuff happen,” he said. “I think we have a crazy stat of 56 and 0 when we have the lead by halftime. I think getting ahead is the key.”
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... subscriber

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:47 pm

You gather info in first 3Q. You generally win or lose in the 4th quarter. There is no first inning 3-run home run in football.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:38 pm

DanielVogelbach wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:47 pm
You gather info in first 3Q. You generally win or lose in the 4th quarter. There is no first inning 3-run home run in football.
2 TDs in the first quarter is pretty damn close to a 3 run home run in the first inning. I would be shocked if we did that more than a handful of times in the PC era
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:11 am

Haven't been do so badly lately 2023, 8th in first quarter scoring, 2022, 6th, 2021, 11th.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/1 ... 2021-02-08

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:51 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:11 am
Haven't been do so badly lately 2023, 8th in first quarter scoring, 2022, 6th, 2021, 11th.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/1 ... 2021-02-08
Yeah, I posted all the by quarter numbers earlier. Literally NOTHING to suggest Pete’s bullshit about winning in the fourth quarter.

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:59 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:38 pm
DanielVogelbach wrote:
2 TDs in the first quarter is pretty damn close to a 3 run home run in the first inning. I would be shocked if we did that more than a handful of times in the PC era
Run the numbers. 14-0 is much easier to overcome than 3-0. Especially if you’re the superior football team. In baseball the superior team loses to the inferior team much more easily. Also baseball doesn’t use the first 3q to gather info. Football comes down to the 4th very often whereas baseball is often a 90% + win for one team after the 7th inning. Not even close on this comparison. Basketball is similar. You win in the 4th a large percentage of the time.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:40 pm

DanielVogelbach wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:59 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:38 pm
DanielVogelbach wrote:
Run the numbers. 14-0 is much easier to overcome than 3-0. Especially if you’re the superior football team. In baseball the superior team loses to the inferior team much more easily. Also baseball doesn’t use the first 3q to gather info. Football comes down to the 4th very often whereas baseball is often a 90% + win for one team after the 7th inning. Not even close on this comparison. Basketball is similar. You win in the 4th a large percentage of the time.
Except that the best teams in the league have the best point differentials. Many of them with blowouts over quality teams.

The Seahawks are destined to be an early exit in the playoffs because they don't have what it takes to be dominant. Their average margin of victory is 7 points and they haven't won a game by more than 4 points since October 29th.

They'll run up against a juggernaut they can't play the 4th quarter BS with and lose by 2 TD's... they're simply not good enough to play this way.