Re: Jamal retiring?

Post by auroraave » Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:55 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:12 pm
auroraave wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:59 am
maoling wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:50 am

Yup, Percy, Jimmy G...PC was in on those and also some weird reaches and reclamation projects. Everybody misses in the NFL on trades sometimes.

Just ask the Broncos.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I feel better already.
I don't understand the Jamal hate, but I guess that is some people's thing. If he can play, I would love to see how macdonald could utilize him correctly.
Couldn't agree more. Percy? Jesus H. Christ, JS gave PC and Bevell a Porshe and they tried to convert it into a Jeep! I remember the game after his trade the Jets hit him on a bomb like sixty yards down field. I wonder if Bevell's mind exploded knowing he could run a route past the line of scrimmage!? Jimmy? I loved the move when we made it. The weapon we were lacking, a Red Zone threat. I hated it as soon as Jimmy got to camp and PC spent weeks trying to teach him how to play with his hands in the dirt! You basically traded for a giant slot receiver and decided he needed to do something else!

Everyone ignores this when I say it, but when the Jets DC Greg Williams said Adams would hate it here because we wouldn't know how to use him? We scoffed....but now everyone forgets that and just assumes that it's all Jamal's fault. The dude was a fucking All Pro the two years before he got here and the first year he was here. Then we decided he was a cover Safety. Dumb.

IMO we are all about to see what these cats we have on defense can actually do when they are playing football and not being asked to play "prevent the big play" ball.

I like all those trades - especially Harvin. The team was stacked and wilson was given arguably the scariest offensive weapon in the league. Didn't pan out how we wanted, but what he did in the Super Bowl was jaw dropping. Yeah, they messed up Graham and overpaid for jamal. Curious how they didn't really maximize the production of either offensive weapon and seemed to have misused Jamal - which spans several different coordinators, leaving me wonder if the problem has been carroll all along. maybe not, but the same issues seem to have remained in Seattle regardless of who departs. The reality is Seattle was 9-8 last year playing some really putrid football. Seems to me just scheming better defensively should make a huge difference. In our division, it's going to be about which defense can stop the Lambs and Chardonnay nation.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:06 pm

Agreed AA. As you all know, most of this I blame on the one guy that has been around for all of this. It's just math. PC always wants a bright shiny toy, then rarely knows how to play with it, so he just plays with it the same way he did his old one. I can see that dude trying to put Atari cartridges into an X Box and just throwing up his hands in frustration! LOL

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:08 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:06 pm
Agreed AA. As you all know, most of this I blame on the one guy that has been around for all of this. It's just math. PC always wants a bright shiny toy, then rarely knows how to play with it, so he just plays with it the same way he did his old one. I can see that dude trying to put Atari cartridges into an X Box and just throwing up his hands in frustration! LOL
Only would be the opposite with PC....
dt

douche

Post by douche » Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:13 pm

auroraave wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:55 pm
leaving me wonder if the problem has been carroll all along. maybe not, but the same issues seem to have remained in Seattle regardless of who departs. The reality is Seattle was 9-8 last year playing some really putrid football. Seems to me just scheming better defensively should make a huge difference.
PC as the common denominator reveals a lot.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:27 pm

Carroll was just a motivational speaker the past several years. Why do you think he promoted guys to DC that had been defensive position coaches with him earlier? He wanted guys that knew the system because he didn't want to be coaching scheme to them. So blame him for putting incompetent guys in charge of implementing his D, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was a bad scheme.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:10 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:27 pm
Carroll was just a motivational speaker the past several years. Why do you think he promoted guys to DC that had been defensive position coaches with him earlier? He wanted guys that knew the system because he didn't want to be coaching scheme to them. So blame him for putting incompetent guys in charge of implementing his D, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was a bad scheme.
So, he hired guys that already knew his scheme, they continued to coach his scheme, but it didn't work....and it couldn't possibly be the scheme? :shock:

Honestly? I think it was the fact that he DID try to change, and he couldn't handle it. He tried to change to a 3 - 4, and we never figured it out. He brought in an OC that was very different from what he had had, and he couldn't handle it and got in the way. We had an above average defense midway through last year, and Pete admits to changing it for fear of the big play. We SUCKED after that. The guy knows one way to win football games, the NFL adapted to that one way, and he has NEVER recovered.

trharder

Post by trharder » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:54 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:10 pm
So, he hired guys that already knew his scheme, they continued to coach his scheme, but it didn't work....and it couldn't possibly be the scheme? :shock:

Honestly? I think it was the fact that he DID try to change, and he couldn't handle it. He tried to change to a 3 - 4, and we never figured it out. He brought in an OC that was very different from what he had had, and he couldn't handle it and got in the way. We had an above average defense midway through last year, and Pete admits to changing it for fear of the big play. We SUCKED after that. The guy knows one way to win football games, the NFL adapted to that one way, and he has NEVER recovered.
Bad scheme or not bad scheme, it looked like shit at times where they gave up easy 1st downs on 3rd and long and tackled like a bad
Jr. High team. Carroll wrote a book on how he went from fired NFL coach to legendary college coach that emphasized competition.
There was no competition at HC here. He was the anti-theseus of his book. He was lying to himself. Kind of sad actually. I really like Pete.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:07 am

Competition at head coach? How would that work? :?

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:01 am

I think what really happened to Carroll was he went to two SB's fairly quickly and became an instant legend who existed in a power vaccuum. It's understandable, there was a lot of success, but then it became fleeting, then untenable as the defense was flat out embarrassing and the team lacked any identity, as if in a permanent 'state of transition'. I donlt know if PC was ever really challenged up until the end. I heard a rumor that PC had told Jody he was retiring at the enmd of the season - and at the end of the season he wanted to backtrack and stay and she said no. I think he knew it was over lpong before the end of the season. I hate to think his legacy will diminish quickly in the rear view - he was great - but how long was he REALLY great for? How many season's out of 14 was he really great? I guess that'll be debated for some time.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:46 am

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:10 pm
Well okay, i guess you called my bluff then. It was mainly speculation, but i thought i would throw it out there and see if it struck a chord with anyone. :ugeek: