The Griffin conundrum

ThePro

Re: The Griffin conundrum

Post by ThePro » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:19 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:05 am

ohhhhh because he manages to take his team to the SB on a fairly regular basis?...they say the NFL is the copycat league, i don't mind some copycatting. Its probably not an issue now anyway since Pete seems interested in trying Griffin as a pass rusher but I am kind of curious why it took a season to come around to it.

It's not a revelation by Carroll or a "different " position . Griffin was not prepared. That's his fault. Instead of working on his technique, studying his playbook and watching game film he was writing children's books, commercials and special appearances. Belichick, Buddy Ryan or Tom Landry cannot fix this . It is difficult to rush the passer and play SAM too. Griffin is going to have to put in the work and start practicing and preparing like a pro or the same struggles will continue

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:27 pm

If that is the case why are they changing his position?...why doesn't PC just tell him to get his ass in gear and study the playbook?

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:53 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:27 pm
so why are they changing his position?...why doesn't PC just tell him to get his ass in gear and study the playbook?
Isn't a paycheck enough for motivation? His problems run deeper than just knowledge of the playbook. This isn't Friday night lights. The position change happened out of necessity. Griffin can't make reads or cover so blitz him off the edge. That is not easy either.

Cody Barton and BBK should be all the motivation Griffin needs. If he doesn't improve. He won't be on the team. That simple.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:12 pm

well somewhere along the line coaches are responsible for utilizing their players effectively, Pete himself is saying he didn't do that with Griffin, so if the coaching staff can get that ironed out maybe we can see if he is studying the playbook or not

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:20 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:12 pm
well somewhere along the line coaches are responsible for utilizing their players effectively, Pete himself is saying he didn't do that with Griffin, so if the coaching staff can get that ironed out maybe we can see if he is studying the playbook or not
Griffin is still playing LB. He is still going to have the same responsibilities .Like I said his problems are not only due to not knowing the playbook. There aren't tackling instructions in the playbook. There aren't techniques for how to drop etc.. a coach can only do so much. I got one for you. Maybe Griffin isn't good enough to play in the NFL.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:34 pm

yup a coach can only do so much, but they are supposed to try and put players in a position to succeed, at least the great coaches. I have no idea if Griffin can play or not, you say he can't, ok. I am waiting for Carroll to find out, he says he didn't give him enough opportunities to succeed last season, so give them so you can be proven correct.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:10 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:34 pm
yup a coach can only do so much, but they are supposed to try and put players in a position to succeed, at least the great coaches. I have no idea if Griffin can play or not, you say he can't, ok. I am waiting for Carroll to find out, he says he didn't give him enough opportunities to succeed last season, so give them so you can be proven correct.
Carroll never said that.. This is what he said..
“It has been really a good deal for him,” Carroll said. “We see how much background he has on the edge. He’s played safety and outside linebacker for the most part in his career. He’s just more comfortable out there. That doesn’t mean that he can’t play behind the line of scrimmage. He’s gained a lot there, but you can see him on the edge, in space and coming off the edge and pressures and stuff like that, that it’s a good spot for him. So he has had a very, very good offseason with us.”
They put him at weakside LB to simply things for him last year. He has more responsibility this year.
In an effort to best utilize Griffin’s athleticism—he ran a blazing 4.38-second 40-yard dash at the NFL scouting combine—and to avoid putting too much on his plate in Year 1, the Seahawks had Griffin stick to the weakside linebacker spot where he started one game while spending most of the year as a backup to K.J. Wright and Mychal Kendricks.

To get the most out of Griffin’s speed and pass-rush background, however, the Seahawks are looking to do more with him this year, using him as a strongside linebacker in the base defense—a position that involves some pass-rushing—and a weakside linebacker in nickel packages.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:20 pm

I was speaking to this...make sure you know what you got, that to me is a pretty basic aspect to coaching, hopefully they accomplish it
Among those strengths, Carroll admitted at March’s league meetings that Seattle needs to do a better job deploying Griffin as a pass rusher, as he recorded nearly 20.0 sacks during his last two seasons starring for the Knights.

“We need to show him more there,” Carroll said. “We need to see more. He didn’t get enough opportunities even in practice as we look back. Just because he had a knack for it, we need to uncover that, make sure we know what we’ve got.”

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:26 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:20 pm
I was speaking to this...make sure you know what you got, that to me is a pretty basic aspect to coaching, hopefully they accomplish it

Among those strengths, Carroll admitted at March’s league meetings that Seattle needs to do a better job deploying Griffin as a pass rusher, as he recorded nearly 20.0 sacks during his last two seasons starring for the Knights.

“We need to show him more there,” Carroll said. “We need to see more. He didn’t get enough opportunities even in practice as we look back. Just because he had a knack for it, we need to uncover that, make sure we know what we’ve got.”
You are trying to make this point that the coaching staff failed him . Griffin just was not prepared. Maybe he will improve. I am skeptical because the things he needs to improve on should have been a given at this point.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:09 am

I am not making the point, that is Pete talking. Whether he was prepared or not is a different issue, that is Pete saying he regrets how they handled him. I think Pete has always been pretty open and honest about things like that, probably what makes him a great coach. They need to understand what they have in a player, hopefully they get it figured out.