Let's Ride! Broncos' Country Amusement Thread

SeattleAddict

Re: Let's Ride! Broncos' Country Amusement Thread

Post by SeattleAddict » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:34 pm

I don't know anything about him, but Lloyd Cushenberry III sounds more like he should be sippin' tea and wearing a monocle than an NFL lineman.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:02 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:56 pm
So,
If Russ has another horrible season and get's benched (and traded for a 3rd round pick) does he still [someday] make the HOF?
I don't think so. Think back to this time last year, or about fourteen months ago. It was all sunshine and roses, RW had weapons he had never had before (even though his WRs were in Denver were, IMO, closer to Baldwin and Kearse than DK and Ty), he was getting away from an aging dinosaur coach with an outdated offense and going to Hackett, who was the best thing for Aaron Rodgers. He was finally going to have an O Line. Everything was lining up for him. I don't give a shit that all of that was bullshit, that was the perception. If he not only can't get it done last year, but can't get it done with Sean Payton?

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:34 pm

Then no HOF for him. Right now, I'd say the jury is out. If he has a good to great season, then the HOF is within reach. If he has another bad to horrible season, even average for NFL QB's, then no HOF and I won't cry for him. Somehow, I think he was a product of the system and his mobility. As he aged, his mobility suffered. The result? It was always someone else's fault!

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:52 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:56 pm
So,
If Russ has another horrible season and get's benched (and traded for a 3rd round pick) does he still [someday] make the HOF?
minor note: if he is horrible and get's benched they won't get a 2025 7th rounder for him given his salary.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:56 pm

He currently has an AV of 167. Dan Fouts got in with only 163. If he completely tanks as is done he might have a hard time getting in but that would surprise me...
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:34 pm

It's an interesting question. The NFL hof is different than the MLB. It is more about narrative. Yeah, he has numbers but the narrative is being threatened. It could be like the opposite of the lynch situation. It's argued Marshawns numbers are light but he's got the narrative

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:52 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:56 pm
He currently has an AV of 167. Dan Fouts got in with only 163. If he completely tanks as is done he might have a hard time getting in but that would surprise me...
If the collapse continues, the argument that he survived because of an elite run game and All Time defense will only strengthen. I have a hard time seeing him get in if he ends up falling on his face the way he has since his unbelievable start in 2020. The end of 2020 until now he has been at best a below average NFL starter.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:56 pm

I've never understood the "wilson for HOF" narrative outside of the homer glasses. Loved him in his time in Seattle - but how is he HOF? Never had an MVP vote, never really carried the team, never led the league in passing, put up good stats over a 10 year career - but what about the playoffs? He threw for 206 in the SB win and threw the most famous int in SB #2. Last playoff game I saw he had less than 200 yards passing and contributed a brutal pick 6.

Objectively - WTF qualifies him? I have never understood this. While he had plenty of highlights and exciting finishes - he simply isn't that great. And when the donkeys go back to a run-first offense and take the game out of his hands - running the SAME exact offense he had in Seattle - how the fuck does that qualify him as a "HOF" QB? Being the best Seattle has ever had doesn't qualify him. Sean Payton's other deciple, Drew Brees is a first ballot guy for sure, but he was a premiere passer in a premiere passing league. Wilson cannot do what Brees did.

This isnlt meant to suggest wilson was not great in Seattle - absolutely was - but how many three and outs? How many times did that clock run down? Could not ever recover from defenses going to a cover two look that crushed "let russ cook". Broken play heroics does not mean you are HOF - steady play over the long haul, carrying a team, MVP votes, leading the league in passing stats, etc. are what need to be looked at - not his hype machine and cherry picked ESPN highlights. Go back to that 30-20 loss to the lambs in the playoffs and tell me that's a HOF QB. Go back to last season as Wilson missed wide open receiver after wide open receiver - and then let Hackett take the fall for his inability to execute. HOF? Please. You're insulting the Dan Marino's of the world.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:05 pm

His HOF score is 83. It says the average inductee is 100 so he is currently a bit light. It is a counting stat so will go up significantly with more good seasons.

Other modern era notables:

Brady: 263
Rodgers: 192
Big Ben: 100
Rivers: 98
Mahomes: 86
Eli: 85
Stafford: 71

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/hof/hofm_QB.htm
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:08 pm

I don't think it's just homerism, here is the NFL HOF itself on the topic. And this is from like a week ago
https://www.profootballhof.com/news/202 ... ins-elite/