Re: Hawk HC poll

Post by gil » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:27 pm

auroraave wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:19 pm
57reasons wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:41 am
D-train wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:30 am

No clue. And he is white so can't even blame it on the Rooney rule.
Speaking of the Rooney rule, seems to me that New England found their new coach Mayo pretty quickly after letting Bill go - any chance of a rule violation there? ;)
it was in Mayo's contract - he was next in line for the HC job. NE already had a succession plan in place for when Belichick exited. Pretty rare clause.
Would a clause like that be a way to get around the Rooney rule? If the next-in-line guy wasn't Black, I mean.

douche

Post by douche » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:33 pm

Some of you will disagree, but if Bill B. still has the fire I would not be averse to him coaching this team. As the article states, Schneider is solid in the management role. Let Coach be coach.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:00 pm

douche wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:33 pm
Some of you will disagree, but if Bill B. still has the fire I would not be averse to him coaching this team. As the article states, Schneider is solid in the management role. Let Coach be coach.
It would be intersting for sure - and i think his defense at the end was still pretty good. I'm one of the few who would fully embrace a defensive minded HC - this roster is not that far off and he could probably scheme it all up. we are still behind the 9ers talent wise, but we have the upcoming draft to address that and close the gap - and if anyone could scheme and game plan accordingly, it would be him. I would not hate the move, but I also wouldn't be all that excited. His OC hire would be key. One thing I want above all else with our new staff - discipline and acountability. Someone needs to teach these clowns posing as NFL players how to fucking tackle.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:10 pm

gil wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:27 pm
auroraave wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:19 pm
57reasons wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:41 am

Speaking of the Rooney rule, seems to me that New England found their new coach Mayo pretty quickly after letting Bill go - any chance of a rule violation there? ;)
it was in Mayo's contract - he was next in line for the HC job. NE already had a succession plan in place for when Belichick exited. Pretty rare clause.
Would a clause like that be a way to get around the Rooney rule? If the next-in-line guy wasn't Black, I mean.
Doubtful. The spirit of the clause is to keep your best talent in house. Realistically, no one cares about the rooney rule. race isn't an issue - no one is not getting hired because they're black. it's an outdated rule that is long past it's usefulness. The NFL approved the Pats doing this, and no one would try to 'get around the rooney rule' because the NFLPA and social media would explode - it would be a very very bad look. No one is saying "oh, he's the best candidate, but he's black, we only want a white guy". Nobody. It's like NATO - long past it's usefulness.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:16 pm

auroraave wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:00 pm
douche wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:33 pm
It would be intersting for sure - and i think his defense at the end was still pretty good. I'm one of the few who would fully embrace a defensive minded HC - this roster is not that far off and he could probably scheme it all up. we are still behind the 9ers talent wise, but we have the upcoming draft to address that and close the gap - and if anyone could scheme and game plan accordingly, it would be him. I would not hate the move, but I also wouldn't be all that excited. His OC hire would be key. One thing I want above all else with our new staff - discipline and acountability. Someone needs to teach these clowns posing as NFL players how to fucking tackle.
lol It is truly mind boggling. Never in my life did I think I would see such complete ineptitude from professional athletes. It would be like watching the Mariners and seeing 5 dropped fly balls and 7 grounders through the legs EVERY game.
dt

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:59 pm

Hmmm. Interesting. I did see the M's are inviting BIll Buckner to spring training. Coincidence? :D

Anyone watch the Manning Cast on ESPN 2 for MNF? best show on tv. Ray Lewis was on for the Eagles game last night - after the huge missed tackles he was going off on how these new young guys are so selfish - only playing for themselves - that they have no idea about taking proper angles - if they were playing team ball they would know better. I think it is symptomatic of the new NFL and the talent coming in from college - totally selfish, about their 'brand', no fundamentals, changing teams on the regular. The product is only going to get worse when they add another game and shorten preseason again - literally just ignoring preseason practising anymore. Where's the barf emoji?

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:08 pm

auroraave wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:59 pm
Hmmm. Interesting. I did see the M's are inviting BIll Buckner to spring training. Coincidence? :D

Anyone watch the Manning Cast on ESPN 2 for MNF? best show on tv. Ray Lewis was on for the Eagles game last night - after the huge missed tackles he was going off on how these new young guys are so selfish - only playing for themselves - that they have no idea about taking proper angles - if they were playing team ball they would know better. I think it is symptomatic of the new NFL and the talent coming in from college - totally selfish, about their 'brand', no fundamentals, changing teams on the regular. The product is only going to get worse when they add another game and shorten preseason again - literally just ignoring preseason practising anymore. Where's the barf emoji?
I wouldn't put it past them but might be awkward:
William Joseph Buckner was an American first baseman and left fielder in Major League Baseball who played for five teams from 1969 through 1990, most notably the Chicago Cubs, Los Angeles Dodgers and Boston Red Sox. Wikipedia
Born: December 14, 1949, Vallejo, CA
Died: May 27, 2019, Boise, ID
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:26 pm

auroraave wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:59 pm

I am always interested when an ex-player speaks to this. Wasn't Ray still playing when the new rules were adopted? The CBA that required an increase in the salary cap and a decrease in the actual time they practice? The one the players jumped at? Many people that DON'T make millions and millions playing a game they don't practice as much saw a problem with this. The players didn't have one single issue with that CBA until the commissioner started doling out major punishments for their big and small infractions, and they realized they had agreed to let Goodell be judge jury and executioner when they signed that deal. A funny thing happened....the union started trying to renege on the CBA. Guess what never changed though? The amount of time they practice.

Maybe Lewis wasn't a part of that CBA, but the evidence I have found in my quick search says otherwise. Deflate gate was 2015, which I thought happened shortly after that CBA. Lewis retired in 2013, believe it or not. Sure doesn't seem that long ago. When I Google NLF CBA, I see one in 2011 and the next one in 2020. Knowing that this particualar rule change happened before Deflate Gate, I have to assume it was 2011. So? Before Ray retired. So, I believe that Ray was a part of the CBA that decided they could practice less and make more. My guess is Ray wasn't bitching about it.

He can blame the new guys for not caring, but I completely believe that the product they are putting on the field, the one that doesn't show much defense, is because of two things. They never practice tackling because they don't have time and are afraid of getting hurt and because every rule was changed to benefit the offense. Ray didn't play under these rules. But I am pretty sure he played under these practice rules, and again, I don't remember him complaining about it back then.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:01 pm

for those interested - here's the Ray Lewis clip from Manningcast as the Eagles defense is getting torched by lazy tackling - 90 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87cgVOi ... roductions

douche

Post by douche » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:13 pm

In many ways, the NFL is following the same path as the NHL. Ask yourself... what is the NHL now? Well, for me it's a slick, highly skilled non-contact beer league. Not much in the way of body contact. Just highly paid players racing around the ice. And most of the penalties that are called hardly qualify as actual penalties.

NFL... highly skilled players who are either averse to tackling or afraid of it. As aurora mentioned, it's more about their 'brand'. And in some instances (Jamal Adams, for example) it's more about social media and the size of their soapbox. I sometimes wonder if these players believe that if they don't tackle at all, then they can't be accused of not knowing how to do it properly.