Total votes: 15

Michael K.

Re: Hawk HC poll

Post by Michael K. » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:51 pm

douche wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:32 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:40 pm
So they purposely look bad on national TV so they can improve their brand? Odd theory.
No. What I mean is that some players can be selfish. They're more about themselves than the team. Highly skilled, but not willing to sacrifice themselves or make a play for the sake of the team. But they're all over social media and they even have their own websites bragging themselves up. Misplaced priorities, in my opinion. Jamal Adams is a perfect example. He's been paid, his focus is no longer football.

I was reading an article recently about Jimmy Graham, which made me curious. Turns out he has his own web page. It's all about Jimmy. And if you ask me, there isn't much there. But he's giving it his best. Even his web page is called thejimmygraham.com because let's face it, he's not just any old Jimmy Graham, he's 'The Jimmy Graham'. :lol:
I get all of that, but I think those are two separate issues. Shitty tackling, in my opinion, has more to do with a lack of practice. Again, it happens now at every level. The fear of concussions has created this, and not that that is a terrible thing. That said, the guy that put the study out there that started all of this, iirc, has been on record as saying it might be blown out of proportion. Some of the changes are good. When I was still coaching Pop Warner, they not only limited the amount of contact we could have, but made us all relearn how to teach tackling. The rugby tackle became the way to go. It was pretty hard for me at first, the thought of putting your head BEHIND the ball carrier was a strange one. That was an arm tackle in my day.

It's now taught as "cheek to cheek". Wrap and roll, or better yet, when Pete Carroll and his staff (I swear the guys name was Rocky somethingorother), they called it Hawk and Roll. There are no more, or at least there aren't supposed to be anymore, long ass summer practices of bull in the ring and full speed tackling drills were each player gets a running start and tries to kill the other guy!

Some of that is good, but not practicing something you need to do to be good at your sport? That isn't done at any other level. Imagine limiting the number of reps Griffey Junior could get in batting practice? Telling Michael Jordan he couldn't shoot all that he wanted? No one would question why they weren't as good at their skill set if that happened. But we removed the amount of time these guys get to practice ANYTHING and even further limited the amount of live tackling, then acted shocked they couldn't tackle anymore.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:56 pm

As for Ray Lewis spouting off? The game has changed. Half the tackles he made would get flagged now! Not to mention no one lines up up and plays smash mouth anymore. Lewis would be running sideline to sideline playing pass defense and hating life. Lewis wasn't defending RPOs as much as these guys do, he wasn't trying to tackle guys like Tyreke Hill and that Achane kid in Miami. It always strikes me as funn when old school guys go on and one about "back in their day". Even in the NBA....guys saying it was too physical back then. OK, but when Pat Ewing had to go out to the three point line to guard guys like the unibrow and that dude in Denver? He won't get to be as physical. Will Clark was an amazing hitter, I wonder how many times he faced a guy throwing in the 100s with a sinker and a slider? The spin rates these guys have now? The game has changed.

The game evolves. Lewis was a stud, one of the greatest, that's why he is a Hall of Famer. But to act like these guys can't tackle because they are too busy filming Tik Toks seems off to me.

douche

Post by douche » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:09 pm

It's not all social media, by any means. These guys might be thinking, 'I don't want to get injured'. Or they simply decide to take a play off thinking that, 'I'll let the other guy tackle him'. Should that be happening at the professional level? No, but I'm sure it does.

As well, the league has changed. As per my earlier post about the NHL... do players not know how to body check anymore? No, I think it has more to do with the way the league has gone. It's become more of a finesse league.

When you say the game evolves, does it? It changes, but I'm not sure that evolve is the right word.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:31 pm

douche wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:09 pm

When you say the game evolves, does it? It changes, but I'm not sure that evolve is the right word.
Good point. I imagine for many fans it has evolved. This version where it's like basketball on grass seems to be making money. I think many fans, particularly the newer ones, love points.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:41 pm

douche wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:09 pm
It's not all social media, by any means. These guys might be thinking, 'I don't want to get injured'. Or they simply decide to take a play off thinking that, 'I'll let the other guy tackle him'. Should that be happening at the professional level? No, but I'm sure it does.

As well, the league has changed. As per my earlier post about the NHL... do players not know how to body check anymore? No, I think it has more to do with the way the league has gone. It's become more of a finesse league.

It absolutely has evolved. Joe Namath, a star and hero of his era had 50.1% completion rate 173 TDs and 220 INTs. Who F wants to go back to that??

Newer rules are about safety. Who would want the game to be less safe?
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:25 am

D-train wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:41 pm

It absolutely has evolved. Joe Namath, a star and hero of his era had 50.1% completion rate 173 TDs and 220 INTs. Who F wants to go back to that??

Another good point. I don't know that ALL of the rule changes needed to happen though. The game itself has evolved in the passing attacks. Hell, that started in the 80s with Bill Walsh. I do think sometimes it's gone too far though. Part of the reason the middle of the field is so easy is it used to not be an option, because the WR would get killed. Now? A QB can literally throw a Hospital ball, get his WR killed, and get 15 yards, even if the hit wasn't helmet to helmet. The evolution would have occurred anyway. Guys like Hill and Achane would have gotten this fast regardless of rule changes. \

They also weren't all to make the game safer. They cracked down on how DBs play pretty much only because the LOB was destroying offenses. I think the Super Bowl domination of Denver was the beginning of the end for that. The NFL didn't want loud and brash DBs ruling the game, they wanted the WRs and QBs lighting it up like a video game.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:31 am

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:25 am
D-train wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:41 pm

Another good point. I don't know that ALL of the rule changes needed to happen though. The game itself has evolved in the passing attacks. Hell, that started in the 80s with Bill Walsh. I do think sometimes it's gone too far though. Part of the reason the middle of the field is so easy is it used to not be an option, because the WR would get killed. Now? A QB can literally throw a Hospital ball, get his WR killed, and get 15 yards, even if the hit wasn't helmet to helmet. The evolution would have occurred anyway. Guys like Hill and Achane would have gotten this fast regardless of rule changes. \

They also weren't all to make the game safer. They cracked down on how DBs play pretty much only because the LOB was destroying offenses. I think the Super Bowl domination of Denver was the beginning of the end for that. The NFL didn't want loud and brash DBs ruling the game, they wanted the WRs and QBs lighting it up like a video game.
Imagine Pete Carroll's offense with 1970s pass defense rules. :lol: QB would probably go 2-17 for 3 yards and 5 INTs. lol
dt

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:08 am

douche wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:13 pm
In many ways, the NFL is following the same path as the NHL. Ask yourself... what is the NHL now? Well, for me it's a slick, highly skilled non-contact beer league. Not much in the way of body contact. Just highly paid players racing around the ice. And most of the penalties that are called hardly qualify as actual penalties.

NFL... highly skilled players who are either averse to tackling or afraid of it. As aurora mentioned, it's more about their 'brand'. And in some instances (Jamal Adams, for example) it's more about social media and the size of their soapbox. I sometimes wonder if these players believe that if they don't tackle at all, then they can't be accused of not knowing how to do it properly.
Not ever a hockey fan before, just starting to become one, but doesnt that make for a better product now though? more free-flowing action where true talent is highlighted, not bullied. As an NBA comp, I'll take the excitement of the Splash Brothers in Golden State over the Bad Boys Detroit Pistons thuggery any day if you're just talking actual game play.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:22 am

57reasons wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:08 am
douche wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:13 pm
In many ways, the NFL is following the same path as the NHL. Ask yourself... what is the NHL now? Well, for me it's a slick, highly skilled non-contact beer league. Not much in the way of body contact. Just highly paid players racing around the ice. And most of the penalties that are called hardly qualify as actual penalties.

NFL... highly skilled players who are either averse to tackling or afraid of it. As aurora mentioned, it's more about their 'brand'. And in some instances (Jamal Adams, for example) it's more about social media and the size of their soapbox. I sometimes wonder if these players believe that if they don't tackle at all, then they can't be accused of not knowing how to do it properly.
Not ever a hockey fan before, just starting to become one, but doesnt that make for a better product now though? more free-flowing action where true talent is highlighted, not bullied. As an NBA comp, I'll take the excitement of the Splash Brothers in Golden State over the Bad Boys Detroit Pistons thuggery any day if you're just talking actual game play.
Exactly. There are sports like Boxing and MMA that are focused on that for those that get into that type of thing.
dt

HawkandMariner88

Post by HawkandMariner88 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:14 am

Again the pussification of America. Football is a gladiator sport & should be played as such. You don't wanna get hit, don't play WR, RB or QB. The goal is to get the ball back for your team. At some point it seems almost unwatchable it really does. In this modern era of Fantasy & stats. It's just not the same, I can see why fans get turned off of it. That being said my 3 picks for coach are:

-MacDonald

-Slowik

-Johnson

Ah, maybe throw Smith in there too.