Jones Ifedi and Myles Garret

D-train

Re: Jones Ifedi and Myles Garret

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:50 pm

Joe Fann
@Joe_Fann
·
3h
Jamarco Jones said Aaron Donald didn’t talk any trash to him.

“He just stares at you.”
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:40 pm

JaMarco profile:
RENTON — Jamarco Jones could make his first NFL start Sunday in Cleveland in something of a homecoming — he played his college ball about two hours up the road at Ohio State in Columbus.

Jones, who will likely get the call to play right guard if D.J. Fluker and his balky hamstring is unable to play, will have lots of friends and family in attendance.

But if that sounds like a potentially overwhelming situation for a first start, Seahawks coaches aren’t worried.

Jones could hardly have been thrown into a hotter cauldron than last Thursday. Two series into the game, he had to replace Fluker, getting not only the first snaps of his NFL career but at a position he had only practiced seriously for a few weeks and often going against maybe the NFL’s best defensive lineman, Rams tackle Aaron Donald.

Jones’ calm manner in that situation impressed coaches and teammates the most.

“In that moment, the moment wasn’t too big for him,’’ said offensive line coach Mike Solari. “He went in and he executed beautifully.”

ADVERTISING

Here are five other things worth knowing about a player who could become a big part of Seattle’s future.

He really had never played guard in a game before Thursday
The Seahawks drafted Jones in the fifth round in 2018 out of Ohio State, where he played left tackle.

Moving young offensive linemen around early in their careers is not uncommon, showing teams how they look at different positions.

But Jones missed almost all of last season with an ankle injury and was pretty rooted at the two tackle spots throughout training camp this year. He didn’t really do much at guard until early in the regular season, when Ethan Pocic — the main backup at both spots — suffered neck and back injuries.

Jones’ snaps a few weeks ago were the first he’d ever taken at guard. Other than some defensive line play early in his high school career, he says he’d always been a tackle.

So, what’s the difference between the two?

“Things just happen quicker (at guard),’’ he said. “At tackle, there is more space between you and the defensive line. It is more of a patient game.’’

ADVERTISING

Jones has what coaches call ‘FBI’
The fact that things “just happen quicker’’ at guard may make that spot a better fit for Jones, who, at 6 feet, 4 inches and 293 pounds, was regarded by some scouts as not necessarily having a classic tackle’s physique.

Solari says the Seahawks learned quickly that Jones is a quick learner and quick processor of what he sees on the field.

“He’s got great, we call it FBI — football intelligence,’’ Solari said. “He just has a great feel for the game and awareness and he is able to kind of slow the game down.’’

Your dose of local sports news. Delivered Monday through Friday.

Solari says the Seahawks noticed that early on in practices whenever things would break down — what Solari calls “unscouted looks,’’ or things that haven’t been practiced — Jones still somehow usually was in the right position.

“He has a nice feel for understanding angles and adjustments,’’ Solari said. “Not everybody has it.’’

He had a 4.2 GPA in high school
If Jones can be said football smart, he also has proven to be book smart. He had a 4.2 GPA at the De La Salle Institute in Chicago, a school that opened in 1889 and is roughly three blocks from where the Chicago White Sox play. Among its famous alums are former Chicago mayor Richard Daley and announcers Bryant and Greg Gumbel.

ADVERTISING

At Ohio State, he majored in family resource management, graduating in Dec. 2017, with an eye toward someday working in finance. “Just always been interested in money and financial planning and things like that,’’ Jones said.

Jones’ fall in draft may be Seattle’s gain
Jones is making a little bit of money these days, in the second year of a four-year rookie deal paying him up to $2.7 million.

But he might be making a lot more — and maybe playing for someone else — had he not turned in a performance at the Combine in 2018 that raised a few red flags for some teams and caused his fall to 168 overall.

Most Read Sports Stories
One reason for Seahawks’ road success? Everybody getting on the same bus to games
Jadeveon Clowney is ‘very, very happy’ to be with the Seahawks — and sees a breakthrough coming
Five numbers that tell us a lot about the Seahawks’ 4-1 start | Analysis
Richard Sherman to apologize? What, did the sun just rise in the west? | Matt Calkins
Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Specifically, Jones ranked in the bottom three in vertical leap (24 inches), the 40 (5.5) among all offensive linemen.

“His Combine was awful,’’ an anonymous NFC exec was quoted as saying in his official NFL.com pre-draft scouting bio.

“It was just a bad day,’’ Jones says now of the Combine. “I don’t feel like those Combine numbers are the numbers I’m used to putting up. But I think I’m a good football player and I don’t think that would determine if I could go out there and play offensive line or not.’’

ADVERTISING
Ad
Washington’s women: 7 rule breakers and risk takers
Advertising Content from YWCA Seattle | King | Snohomish

The Seahawks were swayed by what they saw on film of his two seasons as a starter at Ohio State as well as what they said was encouraging reports from people close to Jones that the Combine was an outlier.

“Not everyone goes to the Combine and kicks butt,’’ general manager John Schneider said on the day Jones was drafted. “We had some really good information on how he’s been working and improving since (then).’’

He’d never attended an NFL game until he was drafted
Though Jones grew up in a city with an NFL team, he never once went to a Bears game (he says he was actually more of a fan of the Colts because of Peyton Manning).

So, the first NFL game he ever attended was the first one he played in a year ago in the preseason against the Colts, in which he suffered the injury that held him out the rest of the year.

“Crazy, huh?’’ Jones said.

Maybe not quite as crazy as standing up to Donald in what was his first actual NFL action last Thursday and holding his own — Pro Football Focus gave Jones the highest grade of any of Seattle’s offensive linemen and judged him the only one not to allow at least one pressure.

After the injury of 2018, Jones said he was just glad to play football again (his last significant action had been in the 2017 Cotton Bowl when he spent a fair share of the day going up against current Seattle teammate Rasheem Green).

As for Donald, he knows he’ll see him again.

“He didn’t really speak that much during the game,’’ Jones said. “He just stared at me.’’

Maybe like everyone else, trying to quickly figure out what the new guy on the line is all about.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:53 pm

Garrett has a 41 inch vertical leap. That would have been 3rd best in the................NBA combine. Dude weighs 275lbs. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:03 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:53 pm
Garrett has a 41 inch vertical leap. That would have been 3rd best in the................NBA combine. Dude weighs 275lbs. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
He is a stud.......pass rusher. He was average on Monday night against a team that ran the ball. I am a homer, but am I the only one that doesn't see a way that the 49ers are any better running the ball than us? Would you honestly trade Carson and Penny for Breida and Coleman? Breida, against a pretty poor run defense, had an 83 yard TD run...was hyped up all night, yet finished with barely over 110 yards. Not much going on after the one break out.

I agree, the 49ers ran the ball very effectively. But, I don't understand how that isn't a good sign for us. I would gladly take Myles Garrett. But I just didn't see him being very effective when asked to play run defense. We hammered away at the Rams talented D line, in three straight games now. If we can run and mix in the play action and utilize the quick passing game we used after the first two series Thursday Night? The Browns will need over 27 to beat us...and I don't see that happening with Broken Mayfield playing QB.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:45 pm

Hopefully Carson is ready to go. His injury is concerning.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:28 pm

Just got a fantasy football alert saying Carson was upgraded from questionable to healthy.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:56 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:28 pm
Just got a fantasy football alert saying Carson was upgraded from questionable to healthy.
Nice. My fantasy has come true.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:14 pm

Tim Booth
@ByTimBooth
#Seahawks have now listed Ethan Pocic as OUT for Sunday.

Also Duane Brown and DJ Fluker did not practice all week.

As evasive as Pete Carroll was, guessing Seattle's line on Sunday will be:
LT - Fant
LG - Iupati
C - Britt
RG - Jones
RT - Ifedi
dt