Clowney loves it here, but... can we afford him? I think so.

IStillLoveTheMs

Clowney loves it here, but... can we afford him? I think so.

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:36 pm

The cap situation:

I'm assuming they are going to let Britt walk... Just cannot justify a $12 million cap hit. They'll address center early in the draft with one of their selections.

I'm assuming the Hawks will not resign Britt, will release KJ Wright, Ansah will be gone, same with Ed Dickson. They're also gonna have Kam and DB's money off the books (thank God)...Add Russ's salary hit and you're looking at about $40 million in free cap space.

Also... I bet it's bye bye Ifedi (meaning no 2nd contract gain)... they'll just move Jamarco to right tackle.

The question becomes... what is Clowney's contract gonna look like? My guess is the Hawks will be comfortable paying him in the $18 million range per season. The highest paid DE in the NFL is Lawrence at $21 million. The Hawks are gonna make him a "home town, we know you love Russ and playing here" offer.

The next question is, what about Jarran Reed? I like that the Hawks have the advantage here. After the suspension I don't think he's got that much control of the market. I think Reed will command somewhere in $10-11 million per year area. He's not in the top-10 DT realm but he's good enough to get paid just below them.

So that's around $30 million in these 2 players I believe when all is said and done. Do-able, and justified in my opinion.

Draft is going to need to address some big holes:

C: Tyler Biadasz out of Wisconsin is a prototype for this offense. Best run blocking center to enter the draft in a while. He's expected to go in the 2nd round and would love to get him. Country strong, powerful man who just fits the Hawks mentality.

S: Marquis Blaire is expected to be a starter at some point, no question. I'll be surprised if after this season they'll continue with TT, Hill and McDougald. All 3 are liabilities on the back end. I'm in love with Xavier McKinney out of Alabama. He's a tackling machine.

TE: Didn't think I'd be saying this... but Dissly just went down again with a torn achilles it seems. Couldn't have happened to a better, likeable guy. So sad. Seems like a deep draft TE wise. Could get a quality player round 3-5...

OG: Iupati and Fluker are gettin' old and we don't have any depth... might be time to get some later round guys.

CB: I'd be pretty surprised if the Hawks don't draft a corner somewhat high this year. There's no depth at this position behind Flowers and Shaq.

Positions we don't really need:

WR: I think it's set... DK and Lockett are fixtures. Brown and Moore are cheap re-sign options with Jennings and Ursua on the cusp.

RB: As much as I hate Penny and hope he's gone... He won't be. I think they like Travis Homer. Prosise is done. They always draft a RB though.

DT: This is oddly deep assuming we sign Reed. Love Poona... re-sign Woods for cheap? Quinton Jefferson is also a re-sign candidate.

ILB: Bobby Wagner is signed for a while. Not much depth behind him (unless they like BBK)... so could go after a LB late in the draft.

OLB: KJ is in my opinion a cap casualty. Barton is the next man up... another candidate for a late round selection at the position.

OT: Have another year of Duane Brown before we need to draft one high. Jamarco Jones takes over at RT for Ifedi.

Hasslecracked

Re: Clowney loves it here, but... can we afford him? I think so.

Post by Hasslecracked » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:40 pm

I like your ideas and all but why would Clowney take a hometown discount here? He's going to want to be paid more then Lawrence and Clark i bet. No way he takes anything less

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:42 pm

Hasslecracked wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:40 pm
I like your ideas and all but why would Clowney take a hometown discount here? He's going to want to be paid more then Lawrence and Clark i bet. No way he takes anything less
Strikes me more as a guy who appreciates being in a great situation with a team he loves vs. making money for a team that sucks. But I could be wrong and I'm hopeful.

Hasslecracked

Post by Hasslecracked » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:47 pm

He wanted out of Houston cause they tagged him as a LB, and he wanted tagged as a DEnd to make a few extra million. I love watching him but his loyalties lie in his bank account. We may re-sign him yet but it's going to be a big contract if we do

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:49 pm

Hasslecracked wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:47 pm
He wanted out of Houston cause they tagged him as a LB, and he wanted tagged as a DEnd to make a few extra million. I love watching him but his loyalties lie in his bank account. We may re-sign him yet but it's going to be a big contract if we do
I agree... and I think $18 million seems plenty fat.

Hasslecracked

Post by Hasslecracked » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:53 pm

Just slightly less may get it done. Maybe something like 5 years, 100 mill with 50 mill being guaranteed

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:54 pm

Good job boys. Its nice to be easy and easy to be nice. :)
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:00 pm

Well, since Norton is too stupid to know how to use his players to generate a pass rush, what is the point in signing Clowny to some mega-deal? Branden Jackson can probably manage to get 1 sack every 4 games too.

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:12 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:00 pm
Well, since Norton is too stupid to know how to use his players to generate a pass rush, what is the point in signing Clowny to some mega-deal? Branden Jackson can probably manage to get 1 sack every 4 games too.
I like what Clowney brings in all aspects. He's terrific as a run defender... defends screens well. They just so seldom go to his side. I think the sacks will pick up w/ Poona in there. Plus what else are they are gonna spend money on?

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:24 pm

IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:12 pm
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:00 pm
I like what Clowney brings in all aspects. He's terrific as a run defender... defends screens well. They just so seldom go to his side. I think the sacks will pick up w/ Poona in there. Plus what else are they are gonna spend money on?
We have Reed back next week. That should help the dynamic.
dt