What is an MVP?

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: What is an MVP?

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:27 pm

Quarterbacks have the most impact on the results of games, so wouldn't the best one also be the most valuable player? If you want the best player relative to other players at their position, that's another matter.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:44 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:27 pm
Quarterbacks have the most impact on the results of games, so wouldn't the best one also be the most valuable player? If you want the best player relative to other players at their position, that's another matter.
QBs do win it the most.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:11 pm

trharder wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:41 am
ThePro wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:58 pm
I could be wrong but I don't recall RGknee being an MVP candidate. For whatever reason the league and fans are more accepting of a dual threat QB then Wilson's early years. How ironic is it that Wilson might lose the MVP to a player he helped blaze the trail for. Without the success of Wilson there would be no Jackson.
According to wikipedia, RGIII was offensive player of the week several times during his rookie season. There was a ton of hype around RGIII before he even played an NFL down, so when he had success early, the hype train was rolling.

RW was down played for a long time because of being short. It was, and probably still is, believed all the running around is a result of him not being able to see his receivers over his lineman. I also agree that the previous narrative was the Seahawks were defense and Marshawn Lynch. RW was doing a lot of miraculous clutch shit ever since he's been here, but even his own teammates annonomously mocked him and were sparse with praise in public.

RW paved the way for Kyler Murray. Michael Vick and Randall Cunningham paved the way for Lamar Jackson.
Funny how time flies....I forgot about the issue with Russ's height. I remember the picture of him standing next to Drew Brees at the Pro Bowl. Drew looked like a little boy in comparison...not only a little shorter, but not nearly as thick! Maybe that was the issue with Russ versus RG, maybe it was draft position, but I always felt that RG took too many hits and was far too frail. That being said, he is almost exactly the same size as Lamar Jackson!

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:12 pm

ThePro wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:08 am
How good can you really be if your team is losing?
ThePro wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:22 am
We're not discussing being a good player.
Thanks for clearing that up.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:00 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:12 pm
ThePro wrote:
ThePro wrote:
These are your words..
"Davidgee24" wrote:That's the question you asked, that's the answer you got. If you don't think that winning DPOTY makes you a good player, then I don't know what else to tell you.

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:12 pm

I can barely remember who wins the Super Bowl let alone who won the MVP. The only MVP I remember is Shaun Alexander, because he was a Seahawk. I assume Brady wins it a lot. Who cares? It's an individual trophy for a team game. I do think Russ is typically the best player on the field every week, though, so I would say he deserves the award.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:43 pm

DanielVogelbach wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:12 pm
I can barely remember who wins the Super Bowl let alone who won the MVP. The only MVP I remember is Shaun Alexander, because he was a Seahawk. I assume Brady wins it a lot. Who cares? It's an individual trophy for a team game. I do think Russ is typically the best player on the field every week, though, so I would say he deserves the award.
Speak for yourself. I care. NFL MVP is one of the most prestigious awards in sports. I would love to see Russell win it. A final STFU to the few haters out there left. Brady has won it 3 times.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:54 pm

ThePro wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:43 pm
DanielVogelbach wrote:
Speak for yourself. I care. NFL MVP is one of the most prestigious awards in sports. I would love to see Russell win it. A final STFU to the few haters out there left. Brady has won it 3 times.
I am not a big individual award guy but Edgar in the HOF was and RW as MVP would definitely be the exception.
dt

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:58 pm

ThePro wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:00 pm
DavidGee24 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:12 pm
ThePro wrote:
ThePro wrote:
These are your words..
"Davidgee24" wrote:That's the question you asked, that's the answer you got. If you don't think that winning DPOTY makes you a good player, then I don't know what else to tell you.
Ooooooooookayyyyyyyyyy

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:02 am

DanielVogelbach wrote:
That's because in the NFL it's so much harder to quantify than it is in MLB and in the NBA. In MLB it's pretty easy to make that determination and in the NBA you usually have two or three guys who clearly stand out and of those two or three you can't really go wrong. Occasionally the writers might screw it up but usually the choices are someone just about everyone's on board with. In the NFL you rarely know if you really picked the right player.