Bold predictions..

57reasons

Re: Bold predictions..

Post by 57reasons » Tue May 28, 2019 3:44 am

my bold prediction: Carson gets nicked up early, Penny assumes the primary role, topping 1,000 yards for the season. and MK2 stills calls his selection a wasted draft pick. oh wait, that's not so bold. :)

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Tue May 28, 2019 12:26 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 2:14 am
seven sacks might not be that far fetched...PC seems intent on using him differently, seems to feel he screwed up not using him more as a pass rusher last season, his more natural role. It would have to work of course, the role change but if it does, who knows

How is that his natural role?

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue May 28, 2019 2:14 pm

maybe more customary than natural, how he was used in college
To be fair to Griffin, he was tasked with playing as an off-ball linebacker in Seattle’s scheme — something relatively new to him given that he played mostly as an edge defender in college. As a linebacker for the Seahawks, Griffin’s role had much more to do with coverage than as a pass-rusher, and it deprived the side of his best facet of play. The question is, after experimenting with Griffin at edge during OTAs, will head coach Pete Carroll be willing to use him as an edge defender more in 2019?
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... e-for-2019

a knack for it that Pete seems to feel he didn't take advantage of...
Among those strengths, Carroll admitted at March’s league meetings that Seattle needs to do a better job deploying Griffin as a pass rusher, as he recorded nearly 20.0 sacks during his last two seasons starring for the Knights.

“We need to show him more there,” Carroll said. “We need to see more. He didn’t get enough opportunities even in practice as we look back. Just because he had a knack for it, we need to uncover that, make sure we know what we’ve got.”
https://footballmaven.io/seahawks/news/ ... KyV55jbYA/

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue May 28, 2019 9:44 pm

57reasons wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:44 am
my bold prediction: Carson gets nicked up early, Penny assumes the primary role, topping 1,000 yards for the season. and MK2 stills calls his selection a wasted draft pick. oh wait, that's not so bold. :)
So, now 1,000 yards is what it takes to be a successful 1st round pick at RB ? What does that make Chris Carson then? A 7th rounder that gains 1,150 all while missing two starts and parts of other games? This argument is tired. Penny was a wasted pick because it was a reach, because we had bigger needs, because of the large number of talented RBs that hadn't come off the board yet, and because until mid November he couldn't even beat out Mike Davis to be second string.

I get it, many fans want to fall in love with their own guys. But we had needs that were bigger than a third RB. Yes, I realize they didn't draft him to be a 3rd RB, but isn't that the problem?

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue May 28, 2019 9:45 pm

ThePro wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:26 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 2:14 am
seven sacks might not be that far fetched...PC seems intent on using him differently, seems to feel he screwed up not using him more as a pass rusher last season, his more natural role. It would have to work of course, the role change but if it does, who knows

How is that his natural role?
Didn't he rush the passer a lot at UCF? I feel that he was much more pass rusher in college than he was WLB.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Tue May 28, 2019 10:12 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:44 pm
57reasons wrote:
So, now 1,000 yards is what it takes to be a successful 1st round pick at RB ? What does that make Chris Carson then? A 7th rounder that gains 1,150 all while missing two starts and parts of other games? This argument is tired. Penny was a wasted pick because it was a reach, because we had bigger needs, because of the large number of talented RBs that hadn't come off the board yet, and because until mid November he couldn't even beat out Mike Davis to be second string.

I get it, many fans want to fall in love with their own guys. But we had needs that were bigger than a third RB. Yes, I realize they didn't draft him to be a 3rd RB, but isn't that the problem?
He's not a 3rd RB.. Might be the starter this year.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed May 29, 2019 3:35 am

ThePro wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:12 pm
Only if Carson's knee becomes an issue.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Wed May 29, 2019 3:55 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 3:35 am
ThePro wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:12 pm
Only if Carson's knee becomes an issue.
Carroll made it clear it was open competition..

https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2019 ... aad-penny/
Still, even despite the considerable performance difference, coach Pete Carroll wouldn’t commit at the NFL combine to Carson being his No. 1 running back for 2019.

“A one-two punch, and I don’t know who’s one and who’s two, it doesn’t matter to me,” Carroll said. “I thought both guys did a really good job this year.”

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Wed May 29, 2019 5:16 am

Michael K. wrote:
57reasons wrote:

just tryin to get a rise out of you Michael - hadnt seen you on the board in a couple of days and considered the Penny pick my best bet to lure you back. Second option was to talk up the playcalling of Jonathan Smith. :)

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Wed May 29, 2019 12:38 pm

Michael K. wrote:
57reasons wrote:

Michael, this is the position of yours I have never understood. ALL of Seattle's RB's went down the season they drafted Penny. There was zero guarantee any of them come back 100% - you never seem to acknowledge that. The QB was the leading rusher. So, with no guarantees any starter returns to the position at 100%, how exactly is there a position of greater need? You 'falling in love' with some other player in the draft does not make them a higher priority for the team. And the 'they could draft him or anyone else later' argument simply is not valid. You do not know this, and you do not know how Penny graded out on their board. You also dismiss the long game aspect of the draft. You do not just draft for today, you draft for the long haul. You always dismiss all of these things to bang the drum about how much better of a draft guru you are. Penny was not drafted to be a third back - you're the only one making that (false) claim. The two backs in front of him were INJURED. By drafting Penny, the position went from a liability to a strength, but you won't look at the long game approach. I'm not going to argue with you, you'll never acknowledge any of these things, and that's what I don't get. Your continual banging of the hindsight drafting in concert with your false assumptions about drafting Penny as a third down RB, along with every single pick being a guaranteed superstar on day one is bizarre to me. Yeah, we get he was drafted in the first round - at the very bottom of it. It comes across like you're trying to force this false narrative, simply because you're looking for a reason to be pissed off at the front office. It's a hollow argument.