Penny

Michael K.

Re: Penny

Post by Michael K. » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:05 pm

I don't see saying he has improved as the insult you do. As for coming out of college? I have never looked at him as a power back.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:07 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:05 pm
I don't see saying he has improved as the insult you do. As for coming out of college? I have never looked at him as a power back.
It's not an insult as much as it is bullshit.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:47 pm

ThePro wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:07 pm

So, there are a few things that could have happened.

1. He improved
2. The coaches are punishing Carson for the fumbles
3. The coaches had no idea what they had in Penny and instead gave Carson more touches than any back they have ever had.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:28 am

If it wasn't for Carson playing well the narrative would have been quite a bit different, who knows. But it does seem Penny has had things he needed to work on, the thing is he has been doing it. I think they knew what they had in him. Playing time comes from rewarding practice as much as anything, as well as finding the opportunities. I think that was the case with Penny. They knew they needed to get him in games, the time had come. It was more coincidental it happening around some fumbles by Carson. Carson gave them the opportunity perhaps but they were getting prepared for it anyway...

PC, they were looking to reward his practicing, I think it was more wanting to get him in than it was wanting to get Carson out
The last three weeks have been his best three weeks of practice. We really wanted him to play (Sunday) and get him in there and see what would happen because he's looked so good in practice. So I thought [running backs coach] Chad Morton did a really good job of rotating him and looking for his opportunity with the intent of getting a shot out there.

trharder

Post by trharder » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:09 am

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:14 pm
His coach is saying that, and Penny is saying that. You think that he hired a nutritionalist this offseason and gave up Big Macs because he simply wanted to, or he needed to get better? I don't think there is any doubt he has gotten better, even since week five or so of this season.
When I see Penny I'm still seeing a baby face kid. People mature at different rates. I don't think he's a dumb kid, just taking longer. The reason I mention the weight is because Penny himself is always talking about the weight. If it got away from him a little bit earlier this year, it could explain why he wasn't being used. I get it that when Carson is killing it that would naturally limit Penny as well. I really like him as "Robin" to Carson's "Batman". Since I don't participate in draft prediction and evaluation, it doesn't bother me that he was a first round pick. If the Seahawks could go back in time would they take him in that spot again? I doubt it, but that doesn't mean he can't be a weapon in the future.

trharder

Post by trharder » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:16 am

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:47 pm
ThePro wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:07 pm

1. He improved
3. The coaches had no idea what they had in Penny and instead gave Carson more touches than any back they have ever had.
MK, I think your posts may be getting better. That was a dagger. LOL.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:40 am

Seems weird that 230 vs. 238 would make that much of a difference. That is only like 3% less weight. Me thinks its between the ears which is fine. Whatever works.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:23 am

if Carson doesn't recover from his leg injury and Penny is tossed into the fray last season he may very well have seemed a much better back, but would he really excel, be motivated to be the best? I asked the other day, can you rush a football player, if that is what happened with Ifedi? That rookie season is when you really have a guy's attention, if they are not competing in practice can you really get through to them on wanting an edge?

I am thinking this is how Pete actually could like it, I mean in terms of needing to get an immediate impact out of a guy their rookie season. Pete wants competition, and a chance to teach, its like bpj's, not handing a guy a job thing. Penny has had to come in and compete for his carries. Sure the eight pounds might not have been that big a deal, but its an edge. And Penny wants every edge he can get now, they have convinced him of the need for that, and they did it by having Carson ahead of him. If he is starting maybe you are not convincing him of the importance of dropping a little weight, of really watching his diet. In the end it come make him a better back than if they had just rolled him out as a starter

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:41 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:47 pm

1. He improved
Neither of those scenarios have any probability. #3 is the most preposterous because the Seahawks drafted him. Schneider doesn't make draft picks without input from his coaches.

As far as #2 Carroll came out and said that Carson wasn't going to be "punished" for his fumbles

Ah, the classic save face maneuver ( more like manure) Penny improved. Did you know the past two games were career highs for Penny in rushing attempts? His previous high was 12 against the Rams last season and surprise he had a 100 yards rushing while eating Big Macs and slow learning the playbook .

Inexplicably you are under the impression a player can beat out another player in practice. Not possible at all. What if I made the statement " Ursua is a bust. He can't beat out Malik Turner " . Well how can he? He can't insert himself into the lineup. He can't demand more playing time. All he can do is wait for an opportunity.

Why can't Phil Haynes beat out Iupati? Jamarco Jones beat out Ifedi?

A team is not going to supplant a veteran in practice...ever.
There had to be a in game opportunity for the younger player to impress. The only reason DK is getting an opportunity is because Baldwin retired . You think he would be getting those kind of targets with Baldwin on the roster?

What changed the coaching staff's mind? Why go to Penny more? Carson was ineffective against Philadelphia. Their defense made a conscious effort to shut him down and they did . They were forced to go to Penny . During the Minnesota game in the 1st quarter it looked like Carson had a serious neck injury. They were forced again to go to Penny.

More carries= more production. That simple. No magical improvement. No miraculous diet that is making him faster. A opportunity arose and he took it.

It was ridiculous from the start to evaluate a RB that barely touches the ball. Penny is not even through his season yet.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:57 pm

So, he didn't improve, the coaches just don't know what they are doing and waited until game 11 of his second year to get him more involved. Got it.

Sorry, I am not buying it. Penny himself has talked about how he has gotten better. As a result he has been rewarded with more playing time and touches. Penny was having a great game, and in your opinion the coaches still went to Carson, even though they thought he had a serious neck injury?

Thank god for the fumbles and injuries, otherwise these coaches may have never known what they had in Penny! I mean, it's been there all along.
Last edited by Michael K. on Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.