Penny

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: Penny

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:00 pm

ThePro wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:26 pm
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:01 pm
Most RBs don't have any trouble making the transition. Penny took a while to learn the lingo and lacked self discipline. I don't recall anyone doubting his athletic ability.
Most RB are given the starting position and don't have to compete with a top 5 back for playing time.
Carson hadn't established himself as a top 5 back going into the 2018 season. However, assuming it becane apparent to the coaches early on that he was, what does that have to do with Penny being slow to learn the offense and eating too many Bigmacs?

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:01 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:34 pm
last season Penny wasn't competing with Carson for carries, he was competing with Davis, he was 3rd behind Davis
What are you basing that on exactly?

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:07 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:53 pm
sometimes Penny would shine in his rookie season, sometimes he would falter, my point is PC wasn't abandoning him, he has been coaching him. Its not just about Carson fumbling, its also about Penny growing.
You be forgettin that they were looking to trade Penny two months ago and apparently didn't get a good enough offer.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:11 pm

no idea if they were trying to trade him or not, but what difference does that make? If they didn't get a good enough offer that must mean they value him doesn't it?

in terms of his being 3rd string...there was this from Henderson's article i posted
The bigger disappointment was Penny couldn't overtake Mike Davis as the clear-cut No. 2. As a result, he averaged about 13 offensive snaps in his 14 games. He played fewer than 10 snaps three times and didn't play at all in two of them, not counting the two he missed in December with a knee injury
https://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seaha ... kie-season

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:45 pm

Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:07 pm

You be forgettin that they were looking to trade Penny two months ago and apparently didn't get a good enough offer.
If they were looking to trade him they would have traded him. The same team that tried to trade for him draft day tried once again.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:50 pm

Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:00 pm

Carson hadn't established himself as a top 5 back going into the 2018 season. However, assuming it becane apparent to the coaches early on that he was, what does that have to do with Penny being slow to learn the offense and eating too many Bigmacs?
I don't think either of that is the case. A rookie doesn't have to master the offense to make an impact. As far as the big macs he did some amazing things last year while eating them.

Only problem with Penny is people that don't really know what they are talking about tried to make a definitive evaluation of a RB barely touching the ball. And are now trying to save face with "He got better"

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:13 pm

ThePro wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:45 pm
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:07 pm

If they were looking to trade him they would have traded him. The same team that tried to trade for him draft day tried once again.
Rumor is they were offered a 3rd rounder. That is pretty decent, so it is a good sign that they saw something in Penny, even this year while he appeared to be in the doghouse. I agree with you Pro, the hamstring injury that happened during a walk through seems odd. Maybe it was their way of giving him a wake up call? No idea.

The dude is freaking FAST. I thought it showed through on a few of the big explosive plays last year, but I don't think he looked as fast in those runs last year as he did in the big one last week and a couple last night. That screen pass!? That was the stuff Pro was telling us was coming. Is it me, or did he look like he hit top speed after about a step and a half!? And I have said it many times, I hated the negative runs. Someone posted an article from the Cowboys loss last year. He had one big run and then like three carries for minus 1. That happened a lot last year, and some more this year. That isn't happening as much, and he is doing what I didn't think he could. Getting the tough 2 to 5 yard runs that used to be losses or no gains.

There is no way this isn't a good thing. Even the biggest Chris Carson fan in the world has to agree that he needs some snaps and carries off. I mean, he came into last night averaging more touches a game than Beast Mode did in his big year. And that is after last week were Carson took a back seat. That is a lot of touches. This is the one two punch that we need.

I won't soften my stance that he underperformed for a year and a half, but obviously this organization saw something they liked. As I said, they had to expect this kind of production if they turned down a third round pick for him. Wasn't Prosise getting touches right before the trade deadline?

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:14 pm

ThePro wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:50 pm

Only problem with Penny is people that don't really know what they are talking about tried to make a definitive evaluation of a RB barely touching the ball. And are now trying to save face with "He got better"
His coach is saying that, and Penny is saying that. You think that he hired a nutritionalist this offseason and gave up Big Macs because he simply wanted to, or he needed to get better?

I don't think there is any doubt he has gotten better, even since week five or so of this season.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:56 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:14 pm
ThePro wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:50 pm

His coach is saying that, and Penny is saying that. You think that he hired a nutritionalist this offseason and gave up Big Macs because he simply wanted to, or he needed to get better?

I don't think there is any doubt he has gotten better, even since week five or so of this season.
He gave up Big Macs because Chris Carson doesn't eat Big Macs.. That's who he is competing with. And no he didn't "get better" Exact same player as always.

He runs funny ok. That's it. Probably drives the coaches nuts. Out of all the Backs coming out in the draft that year I did not want him. He glides, he stops. Not physical at all. No spin move. No straight arm. Rarely lowers his shoulder.

Some were saying last year after the draft . " Beast Mode 2.0" and " He just trucks over people " . I was like I'm pretty sure you've never seen him play not even once.

Penny is one of the most unorthodox RB I've ever seen. His style is like a cross between Alexander and Le'veon Bell.

But what he does do well is that subtle cut . A fake inside and then bounce to the outside. Elite. His acceleration...elite. There are guys that cam match and surpass his top gear but very few can go from 0-60 like that. So now all of a sudden he s fast because he stopped eating at McDonald's?

More touches = greater production. I would love to see him get 20-25 carries. He could hit for 200 plus easy.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:07 pm

Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:01 pm
Most RBs don't have any trouble making the transition. Penny took a while to learn the lingo and lacked self discipline. I don't recall anyone doubting his athletic ability.
He definitely had a bigger transition going from non power 5 to NFL. Power 5 Defenses might be closer to NFL defenses than they are to the defenses he was facing.
dt