Playoff seeding ruminations

Oso Dorado

Playoff seeding ruminations

Post by Oso Dorado » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:39 pm

Right now, we are the two seed. With NO and SF playing next week, a key piece of playoff seeding will be determined.
If NO wins, they remain the #1 seed. SF drops a game behind us (yes, assuming we beat the Rams). But does that help us? If SF beats us in week 17, we would be equal in all tiebreakers down to strength of victory. That is the composite records of all the teams each team has beaten.
Our schedules are fairly similar, except that we've played The Vikings and Philly while they've played GB and the Skins. Fortunately, the Skins suck, so we'd win that tiebreaker.
So if NO wins, we can get the two seed even with a loss to SF, and if SF wins, we can get the #1 seed overall, but would need to beat SF to do it.
Not sure who to root for exactly.
Note that a 13-3 Packers team would lose the head to head with SF and be eliminated.

ThePro

Re: Playoff seeding ruminations

Post by ThePro » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:30 pm

You root for the Hawks 1st and then root for the Niners to beat NO that simple. You want Hawks to play a playoff game in NO for NFC championship or Century Link with them coming here?

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:19 pm

There are too many games left to believe that who ever wins the Saints versus 49er game will not lose again. I simply can't root for teams like the 49ers and Rams, too much hatred there. The Cardinals not as much anymore now that that fat turd is coaching Tampa Bay.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:24 pm

I am torn. I think we might drop another one before we face the Niners. I think that making sure you have a stranglehold on the division might be more important than taking a flyer on winning out and getting the one seed.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:26 pm

To me it makes more sense to root for the Saints in that game. It's more important to have that "breathing room" within the division as opposed to having it come down a winner-take-all game in Week 17 in which the loser ends up having to go on the road three times.

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:16 pm

Saints 9ers is close to a 50/50 in my view. #1 seed has been good to the Hawks in past seasons, so a third loss for Saints is good. A third loss for 9ers is good also. I'm feeling a bit greedy... 9ers beat Saints, Hawks beat 9ers.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:44 pm

I am rooting for a tie. 8-) :ugeek: :mrgreen:
dt