Yeah PCs game plans are fine. Nothing to see here.

ThePro

Re: Yeah PCs game plans are fine. Nothing to see here.

Post by ThePro » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:43 am

I don't understand the point of all this. The Hawks have won as many games as any franchise during Carroll's tenure.

The Titans are completely healthy. Do you think they would have upset the Ravens without Derrick Henry?

Frustrating loss but is this round of Carroll bashing valid? I mean Freddie Kitchens is available.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:41 pm

Because the exact same thing has happened four straight times. Health has little to do with it. This time was worse because we all knew coming in that there wasn't going to be much of a running game and that the Packers were vulnerable to the downfield passing game. Yet unnecessary running plays sacrificed two drives in the first half. You can't just forfeit drives in the playoffs.

Carroll's a great coach, but this Achilles Heel of his has already coat the franchise one Lombardi (oddly by letting Bevell call a pass play they had never tried) and maybe more. Someday he and Andy Reid are going to be sitting in the old folks' home lamenting the ones they let get away.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:30 pm

I don't think it's fair to downplay the health aspect of this team. If Carson and/or Penny were playing, Seattle probably runs away with this game. If Woods and Gordon don't shit the bed, even more so. But a ravaged offensive line is hard to overcome. The physicality it takes to run block is just not available with injured lineman.

What I would really like answers to is Seattle's annual shit-the-bed versus the Cardinals every single year - at home - with playoff implications on the line. It's at the point where we just pencil it in as a loss anymore. The fucking Cardinals. This team's personality is awfully predictable. Three and out first quarters! Wear out the punter! Shank a field goal! Ill timed off sides call! Play clock running down time outs in the first quarter!

But they have a great culture, a winning DNA, players seem to genuinely love it there, they have an enviable cap space situation that'll allow them to compete, as opposed to the Lambs who are in serious trouble, and a couple more years of RW in his prime. I;d be surprised if PC walks away while having that talent at that position.

Would Chris Peterson make a difference on defense?

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:31 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:41 pm
Because the exact same thing has happened four straight times. Health has little to do with it. This time was worse because we all knew coming in that there wasn't going to be much of a running game and that the Packers were vulnerable to the downfield passing game. Yet unnecessary running plays sacrificed two drives in the first half. You can't just forfeit drives in the playoffs.

Carroll's a great coach, but this Achilles Heel of his has already coat the franchise one Lombardi (oddly by letting Bevell call a pass play they had never tried) and maybe more. Someday he and Andy Reid are going to be sitting in the old folks' home lamenting the ones they let get away.
Health had everything to do with seeding and the playoff exit this year. Indisputable fact.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:52 pm

That's the whole point. If Carson and Penny were healthy and we had tried to run the entire first half there would be no reason for criticism. But we had two guys that ran for 19 yards on 17 carries vs. the Eagles and he still tried to force it THE ENTIRE FIRST HALF. Insanity.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:00 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:52 pm
That's the whole point. If Carson and Penny were healthy and we had tried to run the entire first half there would be no reason for criticism. But we had two guys that ran for 19 yards on 17 carries vs. the Eagles and he still tried to force it THE ENTIRE FIRST HALF. Insanity.
It’s and buts. I guess I missed the part where we game planned all week to have our top three running backs and then just before the kickoff they were all ruled out.

Coach the team you have, not the one you wish you had. Pete has coached the LOB every year he has been here. The LOB died on second and goal in the Super Bowl.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:10 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:00 pm
D-train wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:52 pm
It’s and buts. I guess I missed the part where we game planned all week to have our top three running backs and then just before the kickoff they were all ruled out.

Coach the team you have, not the one you wish you had. Pete has coached the LOB every year he has been here. The LOB died on second and goal in the Super Bowl.
Its like a guy that drives his car to work every day and one night as he pulls into his driveway the transmission goes out. Every other NFL coach would just call an Uber to get to work the next day. Given PC's philosophy of always taking his car to work every day and refusal to adapt he would just put it in neutral and start pushing it the 5 miles to get there. Then after taking him an hour and a half to push it 2.5 miles he would finally break down and call the RW Taxi service to try to get him there in time for the big meeting but alas he would be a half hour late.
dt

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:34 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:40 am
Yet the Titans went on the road and throttled the Ravens and the Texans jumped out to a 24-0 lead on the Chiefs. Apparently you can get off to a good start against a high seed.
You can get off to a good start. You can sometimes even win the game. But, winning a divisional round game as the road team is definitely one of the more difficult things to pull off in pro sports. The first half statistics may speak to Pete's preparation and gameplans for these games. However, it obviously also speaks to the strength of the opponents and the value of the bye week as well.

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:50 pm

ThePro wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:43 am
I don't understand the point of all this. The Hawks have won as many games as any franchise during Carroll's tenure.

The Titans are completely healthy. Do you think they would have upset the Ravens without Derrick Henry?

Frustrating loss but is this round of Carroll bashing valid? I mean Freddie Kitchens is available.
He's had a pattern of bad starts in these road divisional games. But, at the end of the day they almost beat Atlanta and they almost beat Green Bay. If Pete and Russ end up in another one of these things next year, I think they'll break through. I would rather bet on Pete breaking through next time than betting on a replacement. Best bet is to get the #1 or #2 seed, so you don't have to deal with the disadvantages of the WC path.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:53 pm

Falling behind by three scores makes a difficult task more difficult. Seems a coach would want to make adjustments. I feel a lot of deja vu when watching us. The same conservative bullshit over and over again hoping for a different result and then whining about how close we were and if just these guys hadn’t gotten hurt. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Mike McCarthy won as many Super Bowls as Pete Carroll. Kubiak has won AND lost as many as Pete Carroll. No one coach has made more of a name for himself off one than Pete.