It's the Defense

trharder

It's the Defense

Post by trharder » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:23 pm

There's been lots of hand wringing over the offense. I get that.
But what is more likely; Pete and RW changing how they approach the offense, or
building the defense back to what it was when we went to two SBs?

It the good ol' days for the defense I think they pretty much used the same scheme as now, but they
were fundamentally sound, fast, athletic, violent and intimidating. Very intimidating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlnBOezEFhY

Compare this with the current defense; Now I'm just praying they make the tackle, which often they don't.
This is an "oops" and "oh my gosh" type defense.

I hope Pete and JS can strike gold with the draft and FA. It's the best hope.

DanielVogelbach

Re: It's the Defense

Post by DanielVogelbach » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:34 pm

Aren't they also mostly young players? Maybe can get some improvement just through more coaching. Seemed like in some cases it was more being out of position than being too slow, weak, or unskilled.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:32 pm

Yeah, Sherman and Chancellor weren't that fast. But Thomas was and that allowed them to play with just one guy over the top or whatever the jargon is. Also, Kendrick has FS speed and agility. I wonder if he could play the position. If they re-sign him..

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:36 pm

It is the defense. But they can fix what ails the defense in FA. People are upset over the conservative 2st half nature of the offense. I for one am tired of the substandard Oline play. Almost a guarantee they will make changes to the defense.
Last edited by ThePro on Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:43 pm

I wouldn't mind if they took 6 OL in this draft or trade up in the 1st round for a future LT. Of course they won't. That Bad-asz dude would be a nice addition though.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:52 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:43 pm
I wouldn't mind if they took 6 OL in this draft or trade up in the 1st round for a future LT. Of course they won't. That Bad-asz dude would be a nice addition though.
The beauty of this draft is they don't have to trade up to get LT of the future. If they come out of this draft without a Center and a Tackle F them... :lol: :lol: Not the best choice of words but it would be worse than passing on Ramczyk, Robinson and others over the years.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:09 am

IMO, winning with Russ as the focal point is more likely than building another LOB. Russ has a few more years left in him, the LOB is long gone!

And last year's group was the worst tackling defense Pete has ever coached...including USC.

trharder

Post by trharder » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:50 am

DanielVogelbach wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:34 pm
Aren't they also mostly young players? Maybe can get some improvement just through more coaching. Seemed like in some cases it was more being out of position than being too slow, weak, or unskilled.
I pray to God Pete and Schneider are not thinking the same as you.

Oso Dorado

Post by Oso Dorado » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:47 am

trharder wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:50 am
DanielVogelbach wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:34 pm
I pray to God Pete and Schneider are not thinking the same as you.
I am in the middle here....I do think that the defense never gelled, and that there is significant talent there. The same group hardly even played together due to suspensions and injuries.
Still, a top corner and edge rusher from the draft or free agency would really help.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:51 am

think it was jelliing with Diggs, he was playing an ET kind of safety, that is what you need in PCs defense, the center fielder, after he was injured it came unglued again