PFF on Ifedi

D-train

PFF on Ifedi

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:40 pm

31. OT GERMAIN IFEDI, SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
Career-high PFF Grade: 55.6 in 2018

The broken record continues to play. Another 2016 first-rounder chock full of potential, traits, tools, etc., Ifedi has yet to turn any of it into high-end, stable production in the NFL. His career-best grade (55.6) is a career-low for other starters in the NFL, and his three-year overall grade (52.8) ranks 63rd among the 66 offensive tackles 1,200-plus offensive snaps in the last three years, barely eclipsing the efforts of Bobby Hart (52.1), Julie’n Davenport (51.2) and Breno Giacomini (45.4). His pass protection has improved of late, but he’s a complete liability in the run game – a bad thing to have as your Achilles heel in an offense that values the run more than any other team in the NFL.
Are the Hawks biased because they don't want another 1st round bust on their record or is this assessment BS?
dt

D-train

Re: PFF on Ifedi

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:40 pm

I think the fact that we didn't pick up the option is evidence they are starting to accept reality.
dt

XpertDBA

Post by XpertDBA » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:46 pm

He's just so bad....in almost every respect.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:10 pm

Neither one of the previous comments is true. It would have cost 10 mil to pick up Ifedi's option. If you look around the league almost no one from that draft class is getting their 5 year option picked up. That's a Pro Bowl player.

As far as Ifedi behind " bad" Hawks had #1 rushing offense in the league. 26 points per game ( 3rd highest in Hawks history) , 30 points per game second half of season. They didn't do that in spite of Ifedi. I give two s**** what PFF says. They aren't pro scouts or coaches and to truly evaluate a player they would have to know his assignment on every play. They don't. I will say this. PFF refers to him as a liability in the running game. That is 100% BS . It makes me question have they ever seen his film . Any Hawk fan can tell you Ifedi struggled with pass protection until a few games into last year.

This will be Ifedi's 3rd year at RT one year inexplicably he played G ( I hate Cable) I expect great things from him.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:37 am

i too think Cable is largely to blame for Ifedi's struggles, not that he's Art Shell or anything. no coincidence that his best year was last year, his first under Solari instead of Cable. just another one of those trends that PFF doesnt pick up on.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:09 pm

We shall see if he is able to sustain his incredible success of last season........
dt

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:50 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:09 pm
We shall see if he is able to sustain his incredible success of last season........
He won't regress. The problem with Ifedi is there is no longer a hierarchy between LT and RT anymore. Teams pass predominantly out of Shotgun now. There is no blindside. RT are getting paid just as much as LT now. That's alot of money to invest in Ifedi.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:11 pm

ThePro wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:50 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:09 pm
He won't regress. The problem with Ifedi is there is no longer a hierarchy between LT and RT anymore. Teams pass predominantly out of Shotgun now. There is no blindside. RT are getting paid just as much as LT now. That's alot of money to invest in Ifedi.
Completely true. used to be most of the premier rushers rushed from RDE (LT, Derrick Thomas, Bruce Smith in particular) against the blindside. but in cyclical NFL fashion then all the premier pass blockers became LTs, so now you see the better rushers coming from the LDE spot - witness Von Miller and Khalil Mack last year as Exhibit A.
If Ifedi had played in an earlier era say from 1985 - 2005 he'd have been the prototypical RT.