Wilson 6th highest paid athlete worldwide

ThePro

Re: Wilson 6th highest paid athlete worldwide

Post by ThePro » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:22 am

D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:25 am
Its lazy. You don't earn an entire signing bonus in year one of a multi year contract.
It is guaranteed at signing...

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:41 am

yup, its a function of agreeing to the contract, doesn't seem unreasonable to me to account for its earned at the signing

A signing bonus or sign-on bonus is a sum of money paid to a new employee by a company as an incentive to join that company.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:13 am

If the Seahawks tried to expense that whole signing bonus in the year it was sign you would see a special IRS luxury Suite to buy off all the agents that would swarm the VMAC shortly thereafter.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:14 am

And if NFL accounted for it that way we'd be over the cap right now.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:33 am

really don't see why Forbes needs to take into consideration how the Hawks or NFL expense a signing bonus but that's just me. Federer is pretty much the exact opposite, he has 86 mil in endorsements, and 7 mil in salary

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:47 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:33 am
really don't see why Forbes needs to take into consideration how the Hawks or NFL expense a signing bonus but that's just me. Federer is pretty much the exact opposite, he has 86 mil in endorsements, and 7 mil in salary
Because if you rank the pay of NFL QBs based on including the entire signing bonus in the 1st year of the deal then every year the top QBs will be the ones that signed their deals that year and then the next year they will drop near the bottom of the rankings when only their salary is being considered. Like I said, RW won't even be on the list next year with just his $18MM salary. Does that mean he isn't a top paid QB any longer and that Teddy Bridgewater and Mariota will be the top paid QBs because they happened to sign their deals in 2020?

Even overthecap.com add a prorated portion of his bonus next year. Its the way the entire world accounts for such things so it is pretty shocking that a supposedly respected finance oriented publication would not bother to do it that way especially since it only requires 4th grade math.

https://overthecap.com/player/russell-wilson/1569/
dt

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:15 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:47 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Because if you rank the pay of NFL QBs based on including the entire signing bonus in the 1st year of the deal then every year the top QBs will be the ones that signed their deals that year and then the next year they will drop near the bottom of the rankings when only their salary is being considered. Like I said, RW won't even be on the list next year with just his $18MM salary. Does that mean he isn't a top paid QB any longer and that Teddy Bridgewater and Mariota will be the top paid QBs because they happened to sign their deals in 2020?

Even overthecap.com add a prorated portion of his bonus next year. Its the way the entire world accounts for such things so it is pretty shocking that a supposedly respected finance oriented publication would not bother to do it that way especially since it only requires 4th grade math.

Teddy Bridgewater? Mariota maybe but Teddy ain't even gonna come close to a contract like that.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:32 pm

ThePro wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:15 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:47 pm
Donn Beach wrote:

Teddy Bridgewater? Mariota maybe but Teddy ain't even gonna come close to a contract like that.
I was just throwing out some lesser 2020 FA QB names but my point is if you include their entire signing bonus along with their 2020 salary it will be higher than RWs 2020 $18MM salary but it would be nonsensical to say that they are more highly paid than RW because of it.

dt
dt

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:18 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:32 pm

I was just throwing out some lesser 2020 FA QB names but my point is if you include their entire signing bonus along with their 2020 salary it will be higher than RWs 2020 $18MM salary but it would be nonsensical to say that they are more highly paid than RW because of it.

dt
And yet they do it every year with Brady...

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:05 pm

yeah, you are right, if some other QB has a big signing bonus next season then he would be high on their list and RW won't be there. I feel I understand what they are getting at if you don't. Its comparing earnings over different types of sports. Its comparing RW scoring a huge contract bonus to Merryweather jr getting a huge fight prize, its how you can compare the two. He earned the signing bonus in 2019 so they are going to include it.
Last edited by Donn Beach on Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.