NFL discussing plan to incentivize minority hiring

D-train

NFL discussing plan to incentivize minority hiring

Post by D-train » Fri May 15, 2020 7:45 pm

If a team hires a minority head coach, that team, in the draft preceding the coach's second season, would move up six spots from where it is slotted to pick in the third round. A team would jump 10 spots under the same scenario for hiring a person of color as its primary football executive, a position more commonly known as general manager.
If a team were to fill both positions with diverse candidates in the same year, that club could jump 16 spots -- six for the coach, 10 for the GM -- and potentially move from the top of the third round to the middle of the second round. Another incentive: a team's fourth-round pick would climb five spots in the draft preceding the coach's or GM's third year if he is still with the team. That is considered significant because Steve Wilks and Vance Joseph, two of the four African-American head coaches hired since 2017, were fired after one and two seasons, respectively.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-to-present ... ooney-rule
dt

ThePro

Re: NFL discussing plan to incentivize minority hiring

Post by ThePro » Fri May 15, 2020 8:22 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:45 pm
If a team hires a minority head coach, that team, in the draft preceding the coach's second season, would move up six spots from where it is slotted to pick in the third round. A team would jump 10 spots under the same scenario for hiring a person of color as its primary football executive, a position more commonly known as general manager.
If a team were to fill both positions with diverse candidates in the same year, that club could jump 16 spots -- six for the coach, 10 for the GM -- and potentially move from the top of the third round to the middle of the second round. Another incentive: a team's fourth-round pick would climb five spots in the draft preceding the coach's or GM's third year if he is still with the team. That is considered significant because Steve Wilks and Vance Joseph, two of the four African-American head coaches hired since 2017, were fired after one and two seasons, respectively.

I'm black and I don't think that's fair. However something needs to be done. The jumping spots is a bit much.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 15, 2020 10:09 pm

ThePro wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:22 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:45 pm

I'm black and I don't think that's fair. However something needs to be done. The jumping spots is a bit much.
Yeah, it makes zero sense that there are so few minorities in those positions given the make up of the players in the league. But I agree, I don't see this as the way forward. I can't imagine being hired and everyone questioning whether it was because I was the most qualified and nailed the interviews or because I was almost as good at the other guy and gave them better draft position.
dt

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Fri May 15, 2020 10:42 pm

yeah, kind of like the Rooney rule, hard to figure out if it is helpful to solving the problem or the opposite. i think in general the Rooney rule has done more good than harm, but sure seems like an awkward deal for all sides at times particularly in cases where teams have a known desired target before they ever got rid of the old coach. but it was (is?) such on old boys club that something had to be done, this too perhaps.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 15, 2020 10:46 pm

57reasons wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:42 pm
yeah, kind of like the Rooney rule, hard to figure out if it is helpful to solving the problem or the opposite. i think in general the Rooney rule has done more good than harm, but sure seems like an awkward deal for all sides at times particularly in cases where teams have a known desired target before they ever got rid of the old coach. but it was (is?) such on old boys club that something had to be done, this too perhaps.
I just can not fathom making a critical hiring decision based on race. I know it has happened and happened a lot back in the day but its absolute lunacy.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri May 15, 2020 11:15 pm

Its interesting, I don't think it means a critical hiring would be based on race, nobody is going to decide to hire a HC just because they can move their 3rd round pick up six spots in two years. But it could at least lead to more candidates being looked at. I think its an incentive to make the effort to interview candidates, but the guy is still going to be hired on their merits

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 15, 2020 11:21 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:15 pm
Its interesting, I don't think it is going to lead to hiring a critical position based on race. I don't think it means someone getting hired because they are black, nobody is going to decide to hire a HC just because they can move their 3rd round pick up six spots in two years. But it could at least lead to more candidates being looked at. I think its an incentive to make the effort to interview candidates, but the guy is still going to be hired on their merits
That is my hope as well but rejected white candidates and their advocates probably won't see it that way and it could lead to racial tensions unfortunately.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri May 15, 2020 11:31 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:46 pm
57reasons wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:42 pm
I just can not fathom making a critical hiring decision based on race. I know it has happened and happened a lot back in the day but its absolute lunacy.
Beyond lunacy. I agree, I realize it happens, but sure don't understand why!

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Fri May 15, 2020 11:32 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:21 pm

That is my hope as well but rejected white candidates and their advocates probably won't see it that way and it could lead to racial tensions unfortunately.
Racial tensions. They weren't pissed when the bias worked in their favor. Tough shit. So Seahawks have a .500 season we were already talking about Eric Bienemy anyways. Hire him and Bucky Brooks. Trade Russell for more picks and draft Lawrence #1 . Might as well take advantage of that horseshit. That's why I think it's unfair. A team could make off like Bandits. Who wouldn't do that? I'd be pissed if they didn't take advantage of that rule.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 15, 2020 11:49 pm

ThePro wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:32 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:21 pm

Racial tensions. They weren't pissed when the bias worked in their favor. Tough shit. So Seahawks have a .500 season we were already talking about Eric Bienemy anyways. Hire him and Bucky Brooks. Trade Russell for more picks and draft Lawrence #1 . Might as well take advantage of that horseshit. That's why I think it's unfair. A team could make off like Bandits. Who wouldn't do that? I'd be pissed if they didn't take advantage of that rule.
True. True. I am more than ready for a fresh start.
dt