The Griffin conundrum

D-train

Re: The Griffin conundrum

Post by D-train » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:52 pm

ThePro wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:50 pm
Hanjag wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:06 am

I like to explore and listen to other peoples insight.
If Griffin does have something like 4.3-4.4 40 speed and 220# he could be a wonderful part time piece. Certainly a special teams standout. But the more I think about it a passing down speed menace. a Nickle or dime package linebacker against Back-receiver loaded packages seems like a nice weapon. The blitz instinct and the fact having him roving around presenting a threat to attack or drop in coverage seems like a nice wrinkle. I mean 4.3 speed taking advantage of a stunt opened window? Wam!

I like that chance and I think the Hawks are loaded at line backer.
220 is light for a LB. It was a hindrance for him. He does have good speed but it simply doesn't show up on game day. He is one of the worst instinctive LBs I have ever seen. Missed tackles and horrible angles to the ball. With that speed he should be making a Ricardo Lockette like impact on special teams. He doesn't. There can be no "Wam" if you react slowly to everything. I think Barton is a lock and BBK will demonstrate what instincts and desire truly are and beat out Griffin. For the Hawks to keep Griffin he would really have to put on a show rushing the passer pre season.
Do you think he would be on the team if his last name wasn't Griffin and he had two hands?
dt

Jack Merridew

Post by Jack Merridew » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:17 pm

Maybe he can get a bionic hand and use it to crush the limbs of anyone that attempts to block him. Other than that, i don't see him on the team beyond maybe one more season.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:28 pm

Jack Merridew wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:17 pm
Maybe he can get a bionic hand and use it to crush the limbs of anyone that attempts to block him. Other than that, i don't see him on the team beyond maybe one more season.
by the time Goodell got around to making a ruling on it he will have ended the careers of about 57 players.
dt

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:52 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:52 pm

Do you think he would be on the team if his last name wasn't Griffin and he had two hands?
Sometimes I wonder about that. Fifth round is pretty high to be pulling a nepotism/PR stunt. He was great in college. Griffin won AAC Defensive player of year. But that was in college. His hand is a non issue. Its more his weight ,reads and tackling angles that are the issue at this point.

He looked really bad the game they let him start. Hawks signed a player they knew was going to get suspended to avoid playing Griffin again. Think about that for a sec.

I hate to go there but unless there is a dramatic improvement I seriously question his intelligence and his desire to play football as opposed to being a celebrity.
Last edited by ThePro on Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:04 pm

He could probably make more money as a motivational speaking and wouldn't have to sit in a Jacuzzi tub and or ice bath after every speech.
dt

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:28 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:04 pm
He could probably make more money as a motivational speaking and wouldn't have to sit in a Jacuzzi tub and or ice bath after every speech.
More money than being a good LB?

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:14 pm

ThePro wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:28 pm
D-train wrote:
I don't see being a good LB as a viable career choice.
dt

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:48 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:14 pm
ThePro wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:28 pm
D-train wrote:
I don't see being a good LB as a viable career choice.
Ouch.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:33 pm

ThePro wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:50 pm
Hanjag wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:06 am

I like to explore and listen to other peoples insight.
If Griffin does have something like 4.3-4.4 40 speed and 220# he could be a wonderful part time piece. Certainly a special teams standout. But the more I think about it a passing down speed menace. a Nickle or dime package linebacker against Back-receiver loaded packages seems like a nice weapon. The blitz instinct and the fact having him roving around presenting a threat to attack or drop in coverage seems like a nice wrinkle. I mean 4.3 speed taking advantage of a stunt opened window? Wam!

I like that chance and I think the Hawks are loaded at line backer.
220 is light for a LB. It was a hindrance for him. He does have good speed but it simply doesn't show up on game day. He is one of the worst instinctive LBs I have ever seen. Missed tackles and horrible angles to the ball. With that speed he should be making a Ricardo Lockette like impact on special teams. He doesn't. There can be no "Wam" if you react slowly to everything. I think Barton is a lock and BBK will demonstrate what instincts and desire truly are and beat out Griffin. For the Hawks to keep Griffin he would really have to put on a show rushing the passer pre season.
hard to put on a show rushing QB in pre-season when touching the QB is off-limits. but will have to demonstrate at least some of that ability in fall camp or the alternative and prove himself an ST speed demon - i thought he was actually pretty good that way last year. likely comes down to him OR Mingo, whoever excels most in those two areas. but BArk needs to beat him by a fair margin, not just a little, given his age and higher cap number.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:53 pm

57reasons wrote:
hard to put on a show rushing QB in pre-season when touching the QB is off-limits. but will have to demonstrate at least some of that ability in fall camp or the alternative and prove himself an ST speed demon - i thought he was actually pretty good that way last year. likely comes down to him OR Mingo, whoever excels most in those two areas. but BArk needs to beat him by a fair margin, not just a little, given his age and higher cap number.
He can sack the QB pre season. Didn't get that. Mingo is in competition with Barton. No scenario where they cut Mingo to keep Griffin. He is in competition with BBK and The Insider and right now not looking good.