Re: Prediction of defensive starts

Post by D-train » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:08 pm

ThePro wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:02 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:49 pm
D-train wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:46 pm

DeLamo and Thompson were part of that. I wonder if we played it less once Diggs got here.
So, we could play those Safeties in Base, but they couldn’t play safety in a nickel or dime package? Adding a DB and removing a LB shouldn’t change the safeties job that much...they just thought they had three studs at LB and somehow, despite it rarely working, wanted them on the field all the time.
I think Hawks want to play predominantly base 4-3 Under Cover 3. . I'm guessing but Blair wasn't an option at Nickel last year. The options were Taylor( ICK), Amdi (toast) or Thorpe(EGAD) . Now they can put Shaquill or Dunbar there. Much better personnel.
Or Flowers.... ;)
dt

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:15 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:08 pm

Or Flowers.... ;)
I don't think Flowers would do very well there. Best suited to outside.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:12 am

Michael K. wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:44 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:46 pm
and the defense wasn't very good last season
So, that was because we played base so much? I wonder why the genius coaching staff would have done that?
they played base because of their personnel and they admit it didn't work very well...
Heading into a new season, coach Pete Carroll remained non-committal about how much base defense Seattle would play in 2020. However, he admitted data indicated the defense didn't play as well as expected, which means changes could be on the horizon.

"We'll see on that one. We have real good stats on it, so we know what we got out of what we did," Carroll remarked on a Zoom press conference with local media. "Overall, we weren't as effective as we've been, so when we get back on the field, we'll see how things fit together."

As he stated numerous times during the course of last season, Carroll again pointed out the Seahawks decision to rely so heavily on their base look stemmed from their personnel.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:42 pm

So, they haven’t seen Blair or Amadi since last year, it somehow they know they are options this year?

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:35 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:42 pm
So, they haven’t seen Blair or Amadi since last year, it somehow they know they are options this year?
No they did see Blair and Amadi last year and I don't think they are comfortable with either option. A perfect nickel package for the Hawks would be Flowers and Dunbar on the outside with Griffin in the slot.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:51 pm

ThePro wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:35 pm
Michael K. wrote:
No they did see Blair and Amadi last year and I don't think they are comfortable with either option. A perfect nickel package for the Hawks would be Flowers and Dunbar on the outside with Griffin in the slot.
Wow, interesting. That's about the only combo that hasn't been suggested. I wonder if they would consider it.
dt

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:56 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:51 pm

Wow, interesting. That's about the only combo that hasn't been suggested. I wonder if they would consider it.
“I think Tre, for his skillset, is probably better as an outside guy … I think Dunbar could easily slide into the nickel,” Moyer said. “When he played for (Washington), he was inside at times … he’s got plenty of quickness and like I said, he can do anything. He does need to improve on his press type of technique and be more aggressive trying to take away their routes and shoulders and jam (the receiver) and all that stuff, but he’s certainly capable of it.”

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:12 pm

ThePro wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:56 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:51 pm

“I think Tre, for his skillset, is probably better as an outside guy … I think Dunbar could easily slide into the nickel,” Moyer said. “When he played for (Washington), he was inside at times … he’s got plenty of quickness and like I said, he can do anything. He does need to improve on his press type of technique and be more aggressive trying to take away their routes and shoulders and jam (the receiver) and all that stuff, but he’s certainly capable of it.”
You posted Griffin in the slot.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:16 pm

ThePro wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:35 pm
Michael K. wrote:
That is my point. They weren’t good enough last year, but now, with little training camp and no actual football they are?

It’s stupid. If they talked about playing nickel now, and Dunbar was the reason why? I’d buy it, but everytime the nickel package is discussed, Pete talks about Blair and Amadi. Why? Have they actually been practicing during quarantine and Pete sees that they are now capable? No...it makes zero sense to me. But then again, that is Pete. LJ could sit the sidelines for the first 14 games next year and Pete would tell us they are pleased with his progress.

I agree 100% that our best nickel package would involve Shaq, Flowers and Dunbar. But that is rarely discussed by Pete.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:19 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:12 pm

You posted Griffin in the slot.
I know and depending on the slot WR Griffin would do the best there. A combination of those 3 would be the best nickel package.