Thomas' Days in Baltimore Over?

ThePro

Re: Thomas' Days in Baltimore Over?

Post by ThePro » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:17 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:03 pm
Yeah, it really is a quick trip for him and AB. Brown has taken some hits in his day, maybe hasn't taken as many head jolts as a guy like Thomas that flies around the field throwing his body around like a missile, but remember the hit Burrifect put on AB a few years back? I get frustrated by this kind of BS, but then remember all the shit I've seen and read about head trauma and am left to wonder.
He was a dipshit before that hit.. They were keeping everything under wraps just like Hawks and the Smothers Brothers

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:25 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:00 pm
It just sucks that this is how a great player like Thomas turns out, and Bennett and Baldwin before him. It's like Jerry Seinfeld said, with those guys we were cheering for their clothes. GO, #29 SHIRT!!!

At the same time I'm wondering how bad all those shots to the head have been for Thomas, he's supposed to be older and more mature, but he's not just going in the opposite direction, but exponentially devolving.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we-L7w1K5Zo
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:22 am

ThePro wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:17 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:03 pm
Yeah, it really is a quick trip for him and AB. Brown has taken some hits in his day, maybe hasn't taken as many head jolts as a guy like Thomas that flies around the field throwing his body around like a missile, but remember the hit Burrifect put on AB a few years back? I get frustrated by this kind of BS, but then remember all the shit I've seen and read about head trauma and am left to wonder.
He was a dipshit before that hit.. They were keeping everything under wraps just like Hawks and the Smothers Brothers
That is the way I am leaning also. I think Social Media is the worst thing for these athletes. They all have a voice, most of them shouldn't be heard! LOL

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:35 pm

Calkins:
Truth, Part 1: Earl Thomas is the most honest, candid NFL player I can remember interviewing. The former Seahawk’s unfiltered responses were as refreshing as they were compelling.

I can’t recall the safety being rude or condescending or phony to the media during his time here, and when you’re playing a game as emotional and taxing as football, that’s impressive.

Truth, Part 2: Despite that, it seems somewhere along the way Thomas became an egomaniac whom the Seahawks were wise to let go.

On Sunday, the Baltimore Ravens cut Thomas as his unpopularity in their locker room appeared to reach a crescendo. The tipping point came after he punched fellow safety Chuck Clark during practice last week.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said he felt bad for Thomas, which isn’t surprising given how Carroll speaks incessantly well of his former players. But Thomas isn’t a sympathetic figure here. He just got hit with an overdue shot of humility.

Remember, in 2017, two years after the Seahawks had made him the league’s highest-paid safety, Thomas told ESPN that they “don’t respect me like they need to” when they refused to offer an extension. But this was simply standard practice in Seattle, where the brass never extends the contracts of players with more than one year left on their deals.

ADVERTISING

Nevertheless, after Thomas’ Seahawks beat the Cowboys on Christmas Eve that same year, the Texas native ran over to Dallas coach Jason Garrett and told him to “come get me.” The next year Thomas sat out the preseason in hopes of getting an extension but did not do so quietly.

Playing on a four-year, $40 million contract, he wrote on Instagram that “the disrespect has been well noted and will not be forgotten.” After returning to the team so as not to forfeit game checks, he admitted he sat out a practice that week to avoid risking injury. And a week later, after breaking his leg vs. the Cardinals, he flipped Carroll the bird while being carted off the field.

None of this means it was inevitable that Thomas would cause tension with the Ravens after signing with them in 2019. But the aforementioned acts suggest that Earl Thomas’ biggest fan was clearly Earl Thomas. So when reports emerged that he was abrasive with teammates or regularly tardy, it shouldn’t have come as a surprise. His final years in Seattle shed light on what Thomas was becoming.

“Easily the most disliked guy in that locker room,” a source told CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora in regard to Thomas’ relationship with fellow Ravens. “Not even close. They put up with a lot last year, but it’s all about trying to win a Super Bowl there now, and guys did not want him around. It was really bad way before the thing with Chuck Clark.”

Truth, Part 3: Thomas is one of the greatest safeties to ever play the game and may have been the most imposing member of the Legion of Boom. He is a likely Hall of Famer, and despite his unceremonious exit is a surefire future member of the Seahawks’ Ring of Honor.

For a good portion of the 12s, any character flaws are inconsequential, as he’ll never have to buy a drink in this town again. But if we’re being Earl Thomas-like honest, we have to recognize that something hasn’t been right with him.

ADVERTISING

People respond to adversity in different ways. A guy such as Richard Sherman tore an Achilles tendon and came back to be one of the most productive cornerbacks in the league. A guy such as Antonio Brown, well … not so much.

We’ll see what Thomas does. It could go either way. What’s certain is that he had to be cut.

The Ravens needed to do it, and frankly, Thomas needed it, too.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:40 pm

Truth, Part 3: Thomas is one of the greatest safeties to ever play the game and may have been the most imposing member of the Legion of Boom. He is a likely Hall of Famer, and despite his unceremonious exit is a surefire future member of the Seahawks’ Ring of Honor.

For a good portion of the 12s, any character flaws are inconsequential, as he’ll never have to buy a drink in this town again. But if we’re being Earl Thomas-like honest, we have to recognize that something hasn’t been right with him.
As I read that I was struck but he word Honor. Should he be honored for his amazing play? Absolutely. Did he conduct himself with honor the last couple seasons here? Hell no. Does he belong with the group of players currently enshrined in an entity based on Honor. Good question.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:22 pm

I'd rather he isn't a member of the Ring of Honor, at least that is my opinion right now. The Ring of Honor should mean something more than you were a real good player on a team that won.

If he was inducted it would be far from a crime, but I would rather he wasn't.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:23 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:40 pm

As I read that I was struck but he word Honor. Should he be honored for his amazing play? Absolutely. Did he conduct himself with honor the last couple seasons here? Hell no. Does he belong with the group of players currently enshrined in an entity based on Honor. Good question.
May have been the most imposing member of the Legion of Boom? Does Calkins even watch the Seahawks?

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:21 pm

Sherman? Chancellor? Thomas? Which one was imposing? I have a jersey with the name of the man who was imposing on the back. It wasn't Thomas. But admittedly, Thomas did allow the other two to concentrate on their jobs because he was very good as being the last line of defense. But imposing?

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:36 pm

ddraig wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:21 pm
Sherman? Chancellor? Thomas? Which one was imposing? I have a jersey with the name of the man who was imposing on the back. It wasn't Thomas. But admittedly, Thomas did allow the other two to concentrate on their jobs because he was very good as being the last line of defense. But imposing?
Chancellor without question

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:24 pm

How did you guess?