Post Mortem: Seahawks v Patriots

Michael K.

Re: Post Mortem: Seahawks v Patriots

Post by Michael K. » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:51 pm

What is even more confusing is I did a quick search on the play by play. Carson had 17 carries. He was once held to no gain. Twice he gained 2 yards. Three times he gained 3 yards. One time he gained 4. So, his worst carry of the game would have resulted in a punt and the Patriots burning a timeout. Otherwise, not only did he have 11 carries that gained 5 yards or more? Only one time did he ever have a run that would have resulted in us giving the ball back.

Hyde's carries were 1, 2, 3, 7 and 9 and Travis Home was 5,6,10.

Yes, I realize short yardage situations are different, but of 25 carries by a back, one single time would we not have converted. What would make you think a shot play is the best way?

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:52 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:41 pm

Take a shot. A shot at what? With the bomb to DK in ATL it gets us a touchdown which we needed. In this situation, a 30 yard pass has the exact same benefit as a 3 yard pass. And there is never a case where a 30 yard pass has higher probability of completion than a 3 yard pass. As was proven on that ball that wasn't even close to a completion.
I agree, as I say in the post above. Just run the damn ball. If you are going to pass I would have loved to see play action and roll out...give Russ the opportunity to simply run for the first or even just eat the sack. A sack is better than an incompletion as they have to burn a timeout. The only think worse than an incompletion on that play is an interception. The risk just wasn't worth the reward, IMO.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:55 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:52 pm
D-train wrote:

Take a shot. A shot at what? With the bomb to DK in ATL it gets us a touchdown which we needed. In this situation, a 30 yard pass has the exact same benefit as a 3 yard pass. And there is never a case where a 30 yard pass has higher probability of completion than a 3 yard pass. As was proven on that ball that wasn't even close to a completion.
I agree, as I say in the post above. Just run the damn ball. If you are going to pass I would have loved to see play action and roll out...give Russ the opportunity to simply run for the first or even just eat the sack. A sack is better than an incompletion as they have to burn a timeout.
Exactly. Hopefully he learns his lesson from that.
dt

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:26 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:18 pm
DavidGee24 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:02 pm

If that's the rule now we can't argue it, Diggs blasted that guy right in the mush. Imagine the other team doing that to one of our receivers, especially Lockett or Metcalf. We'd be crying bloody murder.
Yeah, like I said, I had a much bigger problem with the penalty on Lockett. Like I said, he just stood there and turned sideways...he could have absolutely blasted the guy and didn't. Basically the defender ran into him...what else was he supposed to do?
That penalty was complete nonsense. This is one of my major complaints about the NFL - this insane over-legislation of everything. It's a hollow attempt at sating the injury and concussion crowd, but it makes games unplayable and unwatchable and it's unfair. The Diggs call was fair, but the call on Lockett was really weak.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:29 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:55 pm
Michael K. wrote:
D-train wrote:

I agree, as I say in the post above. Just run the damn ball. If you are going to pass I would have loved to see play action and roll out...give Russ the opportunity to simply run for the first or even just eat the sack. A sack is better than an incompletion as they have to burn a timeout.
Exactly. Hopefully he learns his lesson from that.
I didn't like the pass either, but I would bet it was RW all the way on that one. You get the right match up on defense and he's burned them before - the GB NFCCG, against Philly last year, against the Falcons. Luckily this one didn't bite us in the ass, and perhaps RW was getting greedy, but I agree, that's when you trust your RB's to get a yard and keep the clock rolling. Also, the read option is a good formation there. Or, why not RW under center for a sneak? he never does that. zero chance NE had 'game planned ' for that one.

By the way, where's the Pro these days? He's strangely silent.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:17 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:27 pm
is nobody going to mention the worst play call in the history of play calls?
We've spent the last 5 1/2 years trying not to think about it.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:22 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:37 pm
You would think play calls would be most impacted by down and distance especially on 3rd and 4th down it is like we completely ignore the distance.

3rd and 6.......throw it 4 yards, 4th and 5, throw it 40 yards (got lucky on that one) 3rd and 1 needing two yards to end the game, throw it 30 yards.............. and why so we could kneel down in their territory instead of ours????
Especially when the tunnel to the locker room is behind you.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:29 pm

Michael K. wrote:
D-train wrote:

I agree, as I say in the post above. Just run the damn ball. If you are going to pass I would have loved to see play action and roll out...give Russ the opportunity to simply run for the first or even just eat the sack. A sack is better than an incompletion as they have to burn a timeout. The only think worse than an incompletion on that play is an interception. The risk just wasn't worth the reward, IMO.
And in getting to save the timeout, the Patriots ended up at the Hawk one-yard line with a final opportunity, whereas if they had to burn that timeout they're much more likely having to throw a Hail Mary. I swear, it's like most football coaches and players flunked math.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:44 pm

How about this guy from Field Gulls. WTF is he talking about FG range for??? We would have just taken a knee 3 times and the game is over.
I think the Seahawks should’ve at least considered going for it on 4th and 1 after that failed Tyler Lockett deep shot. Frankly I disagreed with the initial playcall to Lockett but I understand the idea — first down and likely into field goal range. With that said, 4th and 1 even at your own 31 has a benefit of a conversion that forces the Pats to use their second timeout and Seattle would burn up much of the remaining 1:50 if they didn’t get another first down. The downside sucks, which is a short field for New England, but they are not likely to use the entire clock to score from 31 yards out and Seattle would’ve had time (and hopefully timeouts) to either tie or win with a field goal.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:47 pm

Curtis Crabtree
@Curtis_Crabtree
· 34m
Carroll said Alton Robinson will be up this week for the game against the Cowboys.
dt