Post Mortem: Seahawks v Patriots

auroraave

Post Mortem: Seahawks v Patriots

Post by auroraave » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:28 pm

"Shoulda passed the ball!" -- what every Pats fan is crying today. Oh, the irony.

How many epic finishes from the one-yard line have these two teams had? Legendary battles between the leagues best franchises.

The league saw several teams already decimated by injuries - and this is only the second week. This is EXACTLY why adding games is a terrible idea. The quality is SHIT. Imagine roster decimation by week 17. And the NFL expects fans to pay for that? Sorry, that's wrong.

Saw the game. "Thank you", HDTV antenna! Also, "f*ck you", from my nerves. I remember this recipe from last season - kill off fans with heart attacks and emotional distress. That 17th game is not going to be a wise decision for many people's health plans.

Greg Olsen - you need to donate your game check. Not your best day.

This offense looks unstoppable - and they still have weapons not being utilized yet. How awesome is Tyler Locket?

At this rate, Wilson could run away with the MVP. Dude looks like the best gunslinger in the League right now. His command of the offense and understanding of the defense is second to none right now. Seattle is lucky to have him - and he is very likely the reason PC is talking extension. You don't walk away from a talent like that in it's prime. 5 TD's against a Billichick coached defense.

Does Billichick's son remind anyone else of Joe Dirt? is that just me? How that brilliant film didn't win more awards is a travesty of justice. I'm taking a knee in protest and putting his name on the back of my helmet. #joedirt

Because of Wilson's complete domination in the passing game, Seattle had the quietest 154 yards rushing of all time.
DK Metcalf may have a future in this league. Dude is a thoroughbred. Made the reigning DPOY look silly. I enjoyed that.
Travis Homer has a serious burst. I really want to see more of him - dude is shifty with some high end gears on him.
O-line looked pretty good. Pass pro was better than I expected. They'll get better with more time together - but it's good they have depth.
Seattle receivers like highlight reel catches. David Moore seems to come out of nowhere on occasion to make us all smile.
Not a lot of three-and outs. Except when it was critical. We didn't need the long bomb dagger - we needed a yard. That Patriot defense was tired.

Seattle's last drive of the first half was a perfect example of what makes every Seahawk fan cringe. Penalties, bumbling, a critical opportunity pissed away. Everything that triggers the gag reflex was on display right before the half.

Okay, now to the defense.

Lano gets to wear a cape around Seattle this week.

"Hello. My name is Jamal Adams. I am your entire defense this year. Also, please consider me for DPOY."
Got my first look at that defense. I'm sending it back to finishing school - they look like shit.
To be fair - Cam is an enigma to game plan for because of his unique skill set. He reminds me of Kaep, but with a better arm.
I don't think that front four could bully a corpse. Clearly not a strength of the defense. Gotta find a better way to scheme.
For the Clowney fans - he had two tackles yesterday. Nothing special.

I thought our secondary was supposedly a strength? WTF was that? Did Diggs departure have that much impact? That hit was worthy of disqualification, unfortunately. I suppose when the QB has time to order drinks and appetizers and roll a few calls, that eventually someone is getting open. And that someone, was Julian Edelman. Ugh. Dude's out there with a walker setting reception records - and Adams gave up some big plays. He was probably getting tired of doing everything.

Ken Norton - gotta find a way to rethink the pass rush. I get that this is the roster, and we have guys waiting to get healthy, but that was as bad as I have ever seen on an NFL team. Let's hope the young guns, when they get back, can make a difference. Run defense looked decent. Except when Cam ran - so hard to contain that.

Those Patriot jersey's were pretty sweet. Their old school red ones may be the best in the League. Aren't you glad you ain't a Falcons fan?

Dallas this week - Seattle D better step the F up.

Go hawks...

maoling

Re: Post Mortem: Seahawks v Patriots

Post by maoling » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:32 pm

Thanks aurora...could have lived without that cardiac finish and that opening drive Pick 6 clank by Greg Olsen made me throw up some beer in my mouth.

A buddy who works in the FO texted me a tweet this morning: Cam Newton has rushed 19 times from the one-yard line and had never lost yardage until he got inverted last night.

I'm not sure if this town was ready to see him mugging in a Pat's jersey with a winning last play TD. That's horror movie shit. Thanks for the analysis! 8-)
Last edited by maoling on Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:48 pm

Agree with just about all of that, good write up AA.

I will say, while I don't know if adding a game to the schedule is a great idea, I do think the injuries are more a result of no pre-season and abbreviated training camp than just how things are now. All the talk in fantasy football land leading up to week 1 was how soft tissue injuries were going to be a bitch because guys haven't had a chance to get ready. Who knows? Maybe if they had a pre-season all of these issues would have occurred anyway. I just know from experience, when you jump right in to an activity and go hard right away? It is a hell of a lot harder on your body.

The finish was epic, but I sure wish we would have done things different on the final three offensive plays to make sure that the finish was just our QB taking a knee! Agreed, Olsen was bad, not so sure he shouldn't see significantly fewer snaps. He looks like a guy more suited to holding a microphone than a football. I mean, that was potentially disastrous. Instead? We shook it off and went right up the field again.

Heck, besides the end of the second quarter clunker, when didn't the offense move right up the field? OH, the last drive! haha. Offense looks impressive, and I agree, good night for the O Line. Really? Two pretty darn good games by the O Line. I was hard on Shell last night, and I still think he is probably not the answer...but when the biggest complaints from the O Line are a penalty or two from the rookie Guard and a few eff ups by the new RT? Not too shabby. Same can be said about the offense as a hole. A clunker before the half, Carson sliding instead of picking up more yards and an odd decision to throw on third and one? Otherwise? Olsen's drop...that's it. Two straight works of art by the offense.

The defense scares me. Basically never heard Shaq's name, which tells me the other guys were getting worked over. Besides the INT, Dunbar looked bad, real bad. Amadi wasn't terrible, but not great either. If Blair is gone for a long period, he needs to get better. New England must have done some creative stuff too, because a time or two I saw Edelman matched up on a LB. Sorry, that is just not fair!

That being said, the D Line is really bad. There were a few times that I think Newton stood, in one spot, for like six seconds before throwing. We could have Deon Sanders, Dave Brown, Kenny Easley and Ed Reed, all in their prime, and not be able to stop a passing attack that way. Adams is a hell of a player, the plays behind the line of scrimmage are huge, but last night he looked like a guy who had never tried to tackle a guy like Newton. Two different times it looked like he had a sack and whiffed, and they had a big play. Knowing we have two dates with Kyler Murray ahead, and one with Dak coming up next? He might need to dial it back a little and break down on those. Still, should a Safety be our best pass rusher? Anyone else watch last night and think "This is exactly the type of game that Clowney would impact greatly." IMO, it could have been like the 49er game, if he is healthy.

seattlefan-daBronx

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:28 pm

Great to have a game like that in the beginning of the season.
This experience will only galvanize this team. The kids were super pumped a few times in this game.
Nice goal line stop at the end but why oh why Pete do we need the additional drama??? You made me stand the final 2 minutes of the game!!! :lol:
I think the ejection on Diggs is total B.S. My Lord what have they done to the game of football?
You just can't hit anyone anymore. There was no way he could've changed his trajectory at that point.
Some plays are simply unavoidable collisions. I digress.
Wilson is some special player and he is keeping us in these games no doubt but I believe the games are ultimately won/lost in the trenches.
Wow. He is like Zorn to Largent on steroids with those long ball spirals to the endzone. Just poetry.
The O-line did a good job despite fighting themselves with ridiculous penalties. Rookie mistakes too. They will get better.
D-Line will get better but we all know lacks TALENT/DRIVE whatever and lacks a freakin pass rush.
Granted, I've watched N.E. over the years and drooling over their front line who just gave Brady all day to throw year after year.
Belacheat knows how to protect his quaterback.
Now Cam benefits from a well put together offensive line. He went through all his throwing options several times yesterday.
Not acceptable or sustainable for the Seahawks. Wait til they face a KC or Greenbay. We could've used Clowney today. UGHHHH!
With Diggs in the game the secondary was better. All I have to say is thank God we have Jamal Adams. That dude is a beast!
He was literally everywhere making plays yesterday. IMHO he will be better than E.T. for us.
Nice to see some receivers break out like Moore and Swain and a HEALTHY Lockett. I actually don't mind them going for the 3rd a 1 to Lockett.
He was playing great and 9 out of 10 times Wilson to Lockett they make that play. One to grow on I guess. Pete the gambler. Know when to hold 'em.
DK is a beast. I hope he smacked the shit out of Gilmore at the bottom of that pile on the sideline. What a battle that was!
Poona Ford is becoming a star too imho. We need like two more guys like him on the line and we'd be nasty.
Can't wait to kick the absolute crap out of Dallas. There are few teams I hate with a passion and Dallas is one them!
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:32 pm

The biggest thing we got out of this game was the last play. Our defense was gassed, beaten, reeling...and when everything was on the line, they went through the Pudriot blockers like bowling pins, and in fact Fig literally went down like a bowling pin. Huge, HUGE win.

Oddly, the first pass to Olson appears to be one of only two passes thrown to tight ends all game, the other a nine-yard completion to Dissly.

Our pass rush is horrible, you'd think that they'd get a few pressures on the QB just on accident but they don't even do that. Our linemen are getting successfully blocked almost 100 percent of the time and I'd bet that's happening to no other defensive line in the league.

Our running game on designed runs got 113 yards on 25 rushes and it seemed like almost all of the rushes gained the average. No big runs but very few stuffs and what few there were happened on first down. It seems like they're using the pass to set up the run and that's how you hang 35 on a good defense.

Speaking of which, giving up all that yardage to the Falcos and their All-Pros was one thing, but last night Fig was throwing mostly to scrubs. I'm very worried about next week's game against the Tomboys. They're going to be on a huge emotional high after their miraculous season-saving victory and they've got offensive weapons similar to the Falcos. We're going to have to win another shootout.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:39 pm

49ers blaming injuries on the new "long and sticky" turf at Met Life. In an amazing coincidence they have to go back and play the Giants there this Sunday.
dt

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:41 pm

I'm really wondering if Jamal isn't having a negative effect on the secondary. he's a generational talent, for sure, but is his freelancing and movement all over the field disrupting the others? It is causing assignment confusion? Guys were WIDE open all night. Yes, the meek pass rush is a huge factor in that, but is he hurting an otherwise talented unit? Like a Russell Westbrook - big numbers, but he's not necessarily making the guys around him better.

Someone tell me it's just the meager pass rush. Please.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:51 pm

auroraave wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:41 pm
I'm really wondering if Jamal isn't having a negative effect on the secondary. he's a generational talent, for sure, but is his freelancing and movement all over the field disrupting the others? It is causing assignment confusion? Guys were WIDE open all night. Yes, the meek pass rush is a huge factor in that, but is he hurting an otherwise talented unit? Like a Russell Westbrook - big numbers, but he's not necessarily making the guys around him better.

Someone tell me it's just the meager pass rush. Please.
Interesting theory. The Jets were 17th in Passing Yards allowed with him in 2019 and are 17th this season after two games.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:56 pm

seattlefan-daBronx wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:28 pm

I think the ejection on Diggs is total B.S. My Lord what have they done to the game of football?
You just can't hit anyone anymore. There was no way he could've changed his trajectory at that point.
Unfortunately, that is the letter of the law. Helmet first and hits the other guys helmet? Penalty and ejection. The one I hated was the block on Lockett. Seriously? All he did was stand there and then turn so the guy hit his shoulder pad!

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:02 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:56 pm
seattlefan-daBronx wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:28 pm

Unfortunately, that is the letter of the law. Helmet first and hits the other guys helmet? Penalty and ejection. The one I hated was the block on Lockett. Seriously? All he did was stand there and then turn so the guy hit his shoulder pad!
If that's the rule now we can't argue it, Diggs blasted that guy right in the mush. Imagine the other team doing that to one of our receivers, especially Lockett or Metcalf. We'd be crying bloody murder.