We're #1 per ESPN, Pro football talk and the Sporting News

D-train

We're #1 per ESPN, Pro football talk and the Sporting News

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:42 pm

ESPN: No. 1
The Seahawks are 5-0 despite a historically leaky defense. They allowed a combined 1,292 passing yards over their first three games, easily the most to begin a season in NFL history. … The 2,356 yards Seattle has given up are the most by any team through five games since the 1950 Colts, according to ESPN Stats & Information research. The Seahawks’ saving grace has been forcing turnovers — they’re tied for second in the NFL with 10 — and getting stops in critical moments, like the stuff on fourth-and-1 against the Vikings on Sunday.

The Ringer: No. 3
Seattle has still never played a normal game, and it’s become abundantly clear that it’s less a coincidence and more a manifestation of Pete Carroll’s personality. The energetic 69-year-old is an adrenaline junky who’s established a rallying cry around the idea one can only win the game in the fourth quarter.

Pro Football Talk: No. 1
The Seahawks have made it to 5-0 for the first time ever. Far more importantly, they’ve made it back to No. 1.

Yahoo Sports: No. 5
We’ll run out of nice things to say about Russell Wilson before the season is over. There isn’t a situation in which you’d bet against Wilson. He faced two fourth downs on Seattle’s final drive against the Vikings and made both of them look easy.

Bleacher Report: No. 2
The Seattle Seahawks just keep finding ways to win.

For a good portion of Sunday’s game with the Minnesota Vikings, it looked like the Seahawks were about to be toppled from the ranks of the unbeaten. The Seahawks fell behind 13-0 and trailed by five with less than two minutes remaining.

But then Russell Wilson got to cooking.

Sporting News: No. 1
The Seahawks have some defensive issues, that’s for sure, but who doesn’t in the NFL in 2020? But they’re still making plenty of big plays in key times and even when the offense has a “off night”, guaranteed NFL MVP Russell Wilson makes it spectacular one in the end.
dt

D-train

Re: We're #1 per ESPN, Pro football talk and the Sporting News

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:54 pm

Our opponents are 7-17 and our point differential is 6th. Yeah not seeing best team in the NFL either.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:51 am

How does Yahoo have us fifth!?

I agree DT, we have gotten some wins against bad competition...but not bad offenses. New England still had Cam, and a pretty good defense. Atlanta hadn't decided to give up on the season yet, and the Vikings made it just as far in the playoffs last year as we did. I am not ready to look at the records of our opponents just yet. I mean, it is a little better at 7 and 12 if you look into just the wins against the rest of the league. And it is 7 and 7 if you take out an Atlanta team that has flat out quit. The Vikings, Cowboys and Patriots were all playoff favorites, if not favored to win their division, about five weeks ago!

Hanjag

Post by Hanjag » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:39 am

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:51 am

I agree DT, we have gotten some wins against bad competition...but not bad offenses. New England still had Cam, and a pretty good defense. Atlanta hadn't decided to give up on the season yet, and the Vikings made it just as far in the playoffs last year as we did. I am not ready to look at the records of our opponents just yet. I mean, it is a little better at 7 and 12 if you look into just the wins against the rest of the league. And it is 7 and 7 if you take out an Atlanta team that has flat out quit. The Vikings, Cowboys and Patriots were all playoff favorites, if not favored to win their division, about five weeks ago!
Yes I pretty much agree with the last few comments but that turnover margin is something. I mean the make them drive the length with no big plays strategy is a thing. I would like to see a little more risk. I have noticed the 10-15 yards off the line on 3rd and medium downs. It is tough to really evaluate what this D could be later in the year if they get healthy. Dunbar vs Flowers is a big improvement. Getting Brooks, and Taylor back, Adams, and if Snacks is more toward 2017 2018 vs 2019.
I have seen our edge guys make some plays (Moore, Robinson, Mayowa, even LJ has made a "small" contribution. ? Is Green coming back this year?

Also, Brooks and Taylor were the top 2 picks so they should have the most impact. The 3rd rounder Lewis has looked like a great pick so far. What if Taylor really was the best edge from the SEC in the draft.

I still want to bring back the ex Falcon HC.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:48 am

Michael K. wrote:
The Vikings, Cowboys and Patriots were all playoff favorites, if not favored to win their division, about five weeks ago!
this is an excellent point. The Seahawks have beaten teams that have poor records, but aren't poor teams. In contrast, the 49ers' only wins are against the NY/NJ teams that are just awful. I mean, they're so bad the wins should count as half.

In fact, I expect at least 2 of the 3 teams mentioned to be in the playoffs. I'm going on record now to say the Cowboys will be better with Andy Dalton than they were with Dak. Why? Because Dak is Matt Ryan. All stats until the game is on the line, then they fk up. With Dalton, they'll ride Zeke to victories.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:52 pm

Michael K. wrote:

Yes, good points. I was flabbergasted to see that record and agree its misleading. Feels like we have played at least an average schedule so far.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:53 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:48 am
Michael K. wrote:
The Vikings, Cowboys and Patriots were all playoff favorites, if not favored to win their division, about five weeks ago!
this is an excellent point. The Seahawks have beaten teams that have poor records, but aren't poor teams. In contrast, the 49ers' only wins are against the NY/NJ teams that are just awful. I mean, they're so bad the wins should count as half.

In fact, I expect at least 2 of the 3 teams mentioned to be in the playoffs. I'm going on record now to say the Cowboys will be better with Andy Dalton than they were with Dak. Why? Because Dak is Matt Ryan. All stats until the game is on the line, then they fk up. With Dalton, they'll ride Zeke to victories.
Interesting take. Looking forward to following this.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:01 pm

I was just looking at the Cards and it looks like they are pretty well balanced on Offense and defense and middle of the pack or better. Then looking at their opponents and they are 7-17 as well. Only difference is the Cards lost two of those games. Weird and wacky season.
dt

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:37 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:01 pm
I was just looking at the Cards and it looks like they are pretty well balanced on Offense and defense and middle of the pack or better. Then looking at their opponents and they are 7-17 as well. Only difference is the Cards lost two of those games. Weird and wacky season.
The Cards kinda scare me. #1 for some reason they always seem to give us trouble and #2 they are set up to be one of those teams that on any given Sunday will be world beaters. If Murray/Hopkins/Fitz are clicking, they are impressive... and we all know our weakness.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:56 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:37 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:01 pm
The Cards kinda scare me. #1 for some reason they always seem to give us trouble and #2 they are set up to be one of those teams that on any given Sunday will be world beaters. If Murray/Hopkins/Fitz are clicking, they are impressive... and we all know our weakness.
We will never know what the Cards will will tell...........
dt