Home Field Advantage

Michael K.

Re: Home Field Advantage

Post by Michael K. » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:25 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:20 pm

Speaking of crazy words. I once got a work email from a woman that said, "We have made allotta progress. Not joking.
Text lingo has taken over the world. I am guilty of it when texting, maybe even facebooking or commenting in here....but in a work email? Oops.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:31 pm

The one that bugs me is how "would have" is morphing into "would of". Failure of the school system.

maoling

Post by maoling » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:17 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:31 pm
The one that bugs me is how "would have" is morphing into "would of". Failure of the school system.
A Business MBA once told me he was thinking about purchasing a financial instrument which he referred to as:

"Anannuity"

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:49 am

its interesting with the crowd noise, its engineered to be appropriate, booing the calls against the Hawks or whatever

in terms of this, I would call it SSS, it does get studied, here is a soccer study on home field advantage based on data from 72 leagues
CONCLUSION

In the present study, It has been determined
that crowd support and crowd density are
important variables that contribute to the home
field advantage in football.

https://aassjournal.com/article-1-806-en.pdf

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:06 am

maoling wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:17 am
A Business MBA once told me he was thinking about purchasing a financial instrument which he referred to as:

"Anannuity"
Oh for the love of God...no way! That is too funny.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:14 am

Michael K. wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:06 am
maoling wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:17 am

"Anannuity"
Oh for the love of God...no way! That is too funny.
My favorite was back when the Nebraska Cornhuskers were a big deal, and someone asked the question "What does that giant red N on their field stand for? the answer: "nowledge"

trharder

Post by trharder » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:27 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:36 pm
This season in a completely empty Home stadium the Hawks are 5-0 and in empty or sparsely attended road games they are 2-3. As I suspected the constant emphasis on how important our fans are is just promotional fluff to get fans more engaged and falsely instill in them the notion that they actually impact the outcomes of games. D-train 1 Lazy thinking 0
Yeah, nah. The impact of the "12th man" has been, at times, a totally legit phenomenon.
Has it been over-stated by media and exaggerated by Pete Carrol and Russell Wilson et al, especially in recent years? Yes of course.
But the reason Pete will falsely beat the drum is because he can't say something like "I felt the 12's had a rather lackluster performance today".
Pete has been in the stadium when it absolutely DID make a difference. He wants it back and positive feedback of it's effect is his only tool.
There are about 3 levels of volume and intensity at Qwest/CLink/Lumen, but lets just call it 2.

1. There is average NFL game - pretend-to-give-a-fuck level, which I've especially observed over the last several years of games I've been to. Sure, there are quite a few people who believe and try to burn out both lungs, but the average person there is just a bandwagon. They are really more concerned about their next beer and what the other people they came to the game with are doing. This BS effort by Seahawk fans is exacerbated by the stadium itself; with ridiculous cartoon car races etc. on the big screen - posting of numbers to text to report unruly fellow fans to security - trying to coordinate volume when the stadium wants it, in between commercial concerns and virtue signaling public service announcements etc.... Especially if its raining and windy, the RW Seahawks would be better off playing on the road in good weather or in a dome.

2. Seahawk lore has it that Qwest/CLink/Lumen was designed by Paul Allen to be loud. 67k capacity when a lot of stadiums are built for 100k.
I was born in WA, but left for quite a few years. I remained a Seahawk fan always. I returned to the Seattle area in 2007. I couldn't wait to go to a game in person. I'm here to state the rep of the 12th man is built on legit savage fandom. I was shocked at how loud it actually gets when the stadium is fully participating. (Watching on TV, there is really no way to tell if it's loud or not.) There are undoubtedly countless examples and I've never been a season ticket holder, but I will give four examples of actual games I've been to where I'm positive the 12th man made a difference.
a. The first year of Pete Carroll , I'm pretty sure it was San Diego. Hasselbeck was still the QB and the offense was almost 100% ineffective. The defense was young and hungry. The Seahawks won that game strictly on two kick returns for TD by Leon Washington and defense. Jesus it was loud.
b. Beast Quake. - The Saints had won the SB the year before. They were just as good the next year. Hasselbeck was poised to fuck up that game, even though he had had a good game. The Seahawks had a losing record and had no business even being in the playoffs. This is the game that propelled the Seahawks from a bottom dweller to a perennial danger. The entire stadium was randomly hugging complete strangers.
c. I attended a game the year we won the SB against the Rams. The Seahawks had destiny that year. The Rams came in with a big angry chip on their shoulder. The Rams tried, bless their hearts, but talent of the Seahawk defense coupled with deafening volume by the 12s ruined them. The best highlight was a Ram being kicked out of the game and him slamming his helmet to the ground with guts flying out of it everywhere. The taunting on his walk to the locker room was epic.
d. The NFC champion game against the 9ers the year we won the SB. Even though the Seahawks felt destined, the 9ers had been to the SB the year before. They were really fucking good and that bastard Krapperdick was dangerous as hell when he took off running. On top of that, 49er fans are among the most vile creatures on earth and there were quite a few that somehow made it into the stadium. I don't know how else to describe it other than to call it electricity in the stadium. We knew we were about to witness history. As evidence I offer that RW inexplicably dropped his opening snap on his first drive. The tension was so high before that drive those in the stadium knew why. That first miscue broke the tension just enough, but the 12th man definitely made a difference against a very talented and well coached team that day.

I could go on, but that's already a pretty long post.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:47 pm

and is loudness the only attribute fans bring to a game?

trharder

Post by trharder » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:36 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:47 pm
and is loudness the only attribute fans bring to a game?
That's a pretty wide open question. Do you mean in general, or as a home field advantage?

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:14 pm

The most obvious one is the 2005 game against the Giants where they had ELEVEN false start penalties. Considering that the crowd had to have caused almost all of them and the fact that the Giants totally outplayed the Hawks that day, that crowd made a very visible difference and probably won that game. Well, with a little help from Jay Feely.