Post Mortem: Seahawks v Cardinals

Donn Beach

Re: Post Mortem: Seahawks v Cardinals

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:34 am

Smith on the secondary picking it up in that last game

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/se ... turnaround

cutting down the mistakes
While the front four deserves immense credit, however, one of the overlooked story lines coming out of Thursday's victory was the surprising play in secondary. On the outside, Flowers and Reed both vastly exceeded expectations in coverage and contributed against the run as well, while safety Quandre Diggs turned in his best game of the season.

"We didn't make any of the [mistakes] - with one exception they checked down for a 20-yard play and it should have been nothing - there wasn't any plays out there," coach Pete Carroll said last Friday. "The guys did great, they were very consistent, they did stuff right the whole night, and played aggressive football for us and fit together with what we were doing up front."

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:37 am

The 49ers' FO has to be kicking themselves for letting Reed get plucked away by a division rival.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:00 pm

yeah, its kind of an under the radar move, but its the sort of thing winning teams do, I think JS deserves some credit for it

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:38 pm

True, but let's not forget why he was scouring the waiver wire for cornerbacks late in the pre-season.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:07 pm

ohhhh...because they are always looking for talent?

In snagging Reed, the Seahawks appear to be keeping a long-term view in mind. 49ers general manager John Lynch told Bay Area reporters earlier this week that Reed likely won't be able to play in 2020 due to his injury, with the soonest he could come back being November.

He'll be added to Seattle's Active/Non-Football Injury List. Reed would've reverted to the 49ers' injured reserve had he gone unclaimed off waivers.

Reed should factor into the Seahawks' nickelback competition in 2021. He has the physical profile of a Pete Carroll slot cornerback, listed at 5 feet 9 and just over 180 pounds. He also played free safety and did some punt-and kick-return work for the Niners.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:20 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:07 pm
Too bad they can't seem to find it in the draft.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:46 pm

they hit on some occasionally, the draft is weighted against teams that win, its supposed to equalize, that the Hawks continue to win speaks to some success at it

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:51 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:20 am
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:00 pm

When was the last time the Seahawks destroyed anybody? I'll believe it when i see it.
I don't know when the LAST time was, but this was the BEST time.

Watch and instantly feel better. Always works for me anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLo_tgdwX9w
Duh! I said Russ' rookie year. Oops. My favorite game of all time. The next Super Bowl, I really enjoyed three quarters of it.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:13 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:20 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:07 pm
Too bad they can't seem to find it in the draft.
this is just a homer perspective not backed by facts.

A quick look at the roster shows about 37 players drafted by the Seahawks actually still on the Seahawks roster. Considering the team is 7-3, and is continually at or near the top of the league, it's pretty clear they've found talent in the draft.

It's a lot more likely to find superstars when you're drafting in the top 10, but the Seahawks have regularly drafted near the bottom of the 1st round if at all.

There have been some busts, and definitely some top picks that were head scratchers, but every team in the NFL can say that.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:19 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:13 pm

There have been some busts, and definitely some top picks that were head scratchers, but every team in the NFL can say that.
Very true, but as a fan of this team it blows me away how EVERY first round pick since Earl Thomas has illecited a "huh?" from everyone who is paid to research and cover the draft. It is not just a couple of times. You would think they would re-think the early round decisions. I broke it down a few months ago, they have not only passed on big time talent, but big time talent at positions of need, AND drafted a guy at that position that wasn't as good as the guys left to choose from. I am not in their War Room, non of us are, but it reeks of "we are smarter than everyone else". When it comes to the first round they have proven they in fact are not.

Someone please watch a Nick Chubb highlight film and tell us Penny was the right choice. This is not hindsight, it was mentioned by many after the draft. I am not going to say I was one of them, because at that time I said I was willing to wait and see, but I HATED taking a back in the first round. With this team I might have to change that opinion. We STUNK on offense with Dallas and Homer. The Cards had no answer for us with Hyde. RB might not be a plug and play position like I believed. Maybe we can sign Hyde this off season and have him be a 1 2 punch with Penny? I have no idea, but I know they are going to have to find someone, and that someone can't be Carson. He just can't stay on the field.