Post Mortem: Seahawks v Cardinals

auroraave

Post Mortem: Seahawks v Cardinals

Post by auroraave » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:05 pm

On display on Thursday night was everything we've come to expect from the Seahawks; the ceiling of this both units, the floor of both units, strong special teams play - and a missed extra point - a game that should probably be a blow out - but Seattle has to make everyone sweat it out to the bitter end while popping blood pressure pills, aka the latest from Modern Times (Premium Blend, in my case).

This team is trending up. That defense is going to be the story of the rest of the season. They are quickly improving - the back end needs to gel - and they need some starters back, but they looked LOB ferocious at times last night - often times followed up with some Tre Flowers bumbled coverage or whiffed tackle That dude is an enigma - wildly inconsistent. They were getting major pressure on Murray all game long.

DJ Reed is the biggest surprise of the season - led the team in tackles and is all over the field - even kick returns. He and Carlos Dunlap are already paying major dividends. Hats off to John Schneider for continually finding ways to upgrade the roster. Unfortunately, he drafted Malik McDowell 43 years ago, so he should obviously be fired. :roll:

The defense held that vaunted Arizona rushing offense to 57 yards - a week after holding the Lambs to 23 points - the unit is trending up - and they have reinforcements coming soon. This group should be deep heading into the stretch run of very winnable games leading up to the playoffs.
The key to it all is the secondary coming together - that group simply does not lack talent - they seem to lack a unity, an ability to think and play as one - like the LOB did. Takes time to find that chemistry.

They punished Murray last night. Be interesting to see how long he lasts in this league - will he get a second contract? Starting to see a pattern of QB's that could be one and done - he and Lamar Jackson may not be long for this league if they continue to take the punishment.

Things in life I do not need"
1. A Russell Wilson 'fragrance'. That is the lamest thing I have ever seen. I wonder if it smells like cheese. Dude spends far too much time working on branding crap like this while turning the ball over like it's got COVID. Hopefully he can skip the his and her tampons and concentrate on football.

DK Metcalf - we know you're a beast - just catch the ball. The guy is probably the most dangerous weapon in the league - if he can just catch the ball.

This team returned to it's smash mouth roots last night. Hyde was a great pick up - so was Scarbrough. They looked like men among boys as they plowed through AZ's defense, just punishing them for over 165 yards - to AZ's meager 57. And, they're going to get Carson and very likely Penny back for the stretch.

RW's two TD passes were classic RW; feed DK, let him do DK things, and drop a dime to Tyler in the corner. Boom. This unit leads the league in scoring. With Olson out - it's time to unleash the DISSLY.

Game ball to Damien Lewis. Wow. Just wow. A rookie forced to start at the most difficult position on the oline. Yeah, he had a couple hiccups, but what a fantastic performance. Overall, that unit looked really good.

This game didn't feel as close as the score. Well, except at the end when we had to sweat it out, because the Seahawks are gonna Seahawk. If not for some penalties, this game is likely a blowout. The outcome never really felt in jeopardy.

This team is trending up for the stretch run - a very favorable schedule along the way - with plenty of reinforcements coming.

Injuries have ruined the NFL. I have no answers and am pointing the fingers at no one - it's just the truth. One of the reasons I watch less and less football is because of it. Watching second and third stringers isn't great football. It's unfortunate, and I don't know what the league will do to address it, but it's completely destroyed the quality of the game.

Go hawks...

Nwadventure

Re: Post Mortem: Seahawks v Cardinals

Post by Nwadventure » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:12 pm

Great write up as usual- No idea what is going thru Wilsons head on some plays, wife thinks he could have had an unannounced concussion at some point and that hold on Lewis was complete BS-

But yay- 7/3 & 1st place. Hoping the Lambs stumble this weekend.

Dunlap a game changer, way overpaid for Adams but it is what it is.

Go Hawks !

maoling

Post by maoling » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:57 pm

Nothing less than spot on again, aurora.

When did we get Bo Scarbrough back? He's bounced around a bit and I really hope he finds a home here. I must admit to a slight man-crush on the the guy.

And nothing says smash-mouth Seahawks' football more than when your QB releases a new fragrance. Hope the Cardinals enjoyed a big whiff of it last night.

"Russell's R scent is a combination of bergamot, black tea, lavender, and patchouli, among other notes. Its bright and clean smell is a little more intense than C's, making it a surprising but welcomed wake-up call to the senses."

:roll:

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:12 pm

DJ Reed is the biggest surprise of the season - led the team in tackles and is all over the field - even kick returns. He and Carlos Dunlap are already paying major dividends. Hats off to John Schneider for continually finding ways to upgrade the roster. Unfortunately, he drafted Malik McDowell 43 years ago, so he should obviously be fired. :roll:
Reed and Dunlap were good short-term acquisitions but you can't sustain a high level of talent this way. Schneider has sucked in the draft since 2013 and without quality players on rookie contracts they have to keep patching the roster with players drafted by other teams with looming contract issues.
DK Metcalf - we know you're a beast - just catch the ball. The guy is probably the most dangerous weapon in the league - if he can just catch the ball.
They only targeted DK five times last night. Shit-in-head'er needs to draw up more plays where he is the first option. Just asinine how they aren't using him.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:35 pm

Definitely the best game of the season, topping their performance against the Doltphins (who haven't lost since). Just like last week's game, it wasn't as close as the final score indicated except this one was in our favor. Take away the BS holding call on Lewis, DK's two drops and Diggs' brain fart and, the Butterfly Effect notwithstanding, this game is likely a two- to three-TD blowout.

So in the recent thread on how we thought this season would end up it seemed that most of us figured we'll get whooped in the playoffs. I wonder how many of us are at least somewhat changing our tune on that. I know I'm feeling a lot better today.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:38 pm

maoling wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:57 pm

When did we get Bo Scarbrough back? He's bounced around a bit and I really hope he finds a home here. I must admit to a slight man-crush on the the guy.

And nothing says smash-mouth Seahawks' football more than when your QB releases a new fragrance. Hope the Cardinals enjoyed a big whiff of it last night.

"Russell's R scent is a combination of bergamot, black tea, lavender, and patchouli, among other notes. Its bright and clean smell is a little more intense than C's, making it a surprising but welcomed wake-up call to the senses."

Mr. Chairman! This may have been Bo's first game for Seattle. Did you see him do the splits last night? Yikes. How's all with you?

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:43 pm

Great comments in here. I will add this about the defense. Diggs made a mistake, it was an aggressive mistake, so a little more excusable, but a mistake no less. If that doesn't happen, the Cards would have had four of their first six possessions end in three and out. I did not get the hate for the defense last night. That is as good as they have played all year. I know that doesn't say much, but really it is two weeks in a row where the defense was not an issue.

I have always liked Scarborough, so I hope he is OK. Ever since he dominated a very good Husky defense I have been intrigued by him. Many forget, but Alabama was completely in control of Clemson the next week before Bo got hurt.

I still don't like the 3rd down defense. Because of how Adams plays it is pretty much a base defense....they just take a LB off the field and replace him with their SS. We get it, Adams is a stud at rushing the passer. FINE, put in two DBs and take out two LBs. Leave one with Adams, but there were two or three times last night were an easy third down conversion for the Cards was because one of our LBs was in coverage....it isn't necessary.

DK has to catch the ball. Those were two huge drops and to criticize the play calling for not getting more targets to a guy that dropped 40% of the targets he got seems strange. Especially since one drop cost us four points and the other probably would have been a long catch and run. Maybe we know see why Josh Gordon was the guy we went to for slants. Sorry, that was a terrible drop. Thank GOD Olsen came back with an amazing grab. I don't think enough was made of that catch. Russell threw a freaking bullet, and Olsen reaches back and makes the grab with just his hands. I really felt that ball was thrown too hard....great catch, and saved the drive that DK just about ruined.

I liked the RB duo last night, really did. As I said, I sure hope Bo is OK, and Hyde ran like Carson used to. They just flat out can't pay Carson, someone is going to over pay for a guy who, IMO, is going to miss more snaps than he plays from now on. BUT, maybe Penny comes back next year and Hyde and Bo are affordable options? The salary cap is going down, let someone else worry what injury designation to make Chris Carson every single week.

I thought it was interesting that the guy we signed to play the George Fant Fat TE roll, who basically has never played this year, came in at RT after Shell's injury and we didn't hear his name once. That is a good sign. I won't say I was watching the O Line closely, but if we don't hear about a lineman, that is usually good.

You hate to just make assumptions, but it sets up pretty good for us to go into the Rams game with an 11 and 3 record. Have you guys looked at the Rams and Cardinals schedule? Damn, I really wish we hadn't blown the first Cardinal game and the Bills knew how to defend a Hail Mary, because the Cards would be done, but they might be anyway! A lot of talk today about the Cardinals not wanting to tackle, not wanting to defend the run, and it showing up last night. They still have to play the Pats who are going to pound it at you and the Rams twice. Even if they split with the Rams, that means by the time we play the Rams the Cards could be two games back. They also play the 49ers again who are going to be out for blood and can certainly run the ball. The Rams play the Bucs this weekend. Lose that and split with the Cards? And we are also two games ahead of them heading into our rematch at home.

The 49er game to finish the season may not even matter for the division. I am more worried about this upcoming game with the Eagles than many, not sure why, I just am. But seriously? The schedule sets up well for us. Hell, imagine if either the Cards or Rams sweep each other but lose to the 49ers!?

I really like our chances, but DAMN, I wish we hadn't blown that Cardinal game. The Mayowa penalty on the FG will haunt me to my grave. If they only get three there we win because they would have finished the game like they did last night...needing a TD and not a FG. My sone keeps going back to Russ' INT that DK caught Budda, and yes, that took points off the board. BUT, that happened in the first half...we still held a ten point lead in the 4th quarter. Mayowa's penalty was even dumber than Bobby's, but the two cost us 11 points, in a game we lost by 3 in OT. If we don't blow that game the NFC West race is pretty much over right now and we are eyeballing a bye!

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:46 pm

auroraave wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:38 pm
maoling wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:57 pm

Mr. Chairman! This may have been Bo's first game for Seattle. Did you see him do the splits last night? Yikes. How's all with you?
I was pretty sure he played a few games a year or two ago for us, but just looked and was wrong. The Lions signed him off the practice squad and he played 6 games, started 5 of them and averaged 4.2 per carry. I wonder how much this kid lost with that injury to Clemson in the NC game a few years back. Seriously, he looked like Derick Henry Junior before that!

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:47 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:35 pm
Definitely the best game of the season, topping their performance against the Doltphins (who haven't lost since). Just like last week's game, it wasn't as close as the final score indicated except this one was in our favor. Take away the BS holding call on Lewis, DK's two drops and Diggs' brain fart and, the Butterfly Effect notwithstanding, this game is likely a two- to three-TD blowout.

So in the recent thread on how we thought this season would end up it seemed that most of us figured we'll get whooped in the playoffs. I wonder how many of us are at least somewhat changing our tune on that. I know I'm feeling a lot better today.
The error people are making is expecting Seattle to hit their ceiling the first half of the season and coming unglued when they don't. No game Seattle has played makes any difference or has any impact on how they will fare in the playoffs. Zero. A million things will happen between now and then - especially injuries. How many Saints fans are now expecting a deep playoff run? You play the game in front of you - literally nothing else matters. Anyone making assumptions now, for games happening in January, are wildly misguided and shortsighted.

Last nights game was useful in projecting two things - the defense is absolutely getting better, and the offense can win with the ground game. Also, note the excellent game plans by both Shotty and Norton, and the brilliant acquisitions by JS. The most important thing to remember is that Seattle has a massive amount of playoff experience and DNA. Not many other teams do. They walk into the playoffs with that advantage.

Losing to the Rams in November will make no difference in January. None. With the depth this team has accumulated, and the guys coming back, people should be looking at the potential - and there is a LOT. You don't need to peak in November, you need to peak in January, and that is a very realistic possibility for Seattle. the offense is stacked and the defense is trending up.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:22 pm

Seems my Dachshund Henry and Carlos have a lot in common. lol

https://twitter.com/michaelbjargon/stat ... 7307688960
henry.jpeg
dt