Post Mortem: 2021 Playoffs - Seahawks v Lambs

D-train

Re: Post Mortem: 2021 Playoffs - Seahawks v Lambs

Post by D-train » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:58 pm

Gametime wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:16 pm
League has evolved, Pete and his high energy is great, but won’t or hasn’t evolved. How many playoff wins does he have over the last 5 years? His philosophies don’t work in the playoffs. Unless he has elite DE and the Lob.

Either his philosophy doesn’t work or Russ can’t deliver it.
Since the miracle win vs. Green bay in the NFC championship game six years ago, we have 3 playoff wins.

1. vs. Viking thanks to Walsh's missed chip shot
2. vs. the Lions, quite possible the worst playoff team in NFL history
3. vs. the Eagles with an 87 year old back up QB.
dt

Gametime

Post by Gametime » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:10 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:58 pm
Gametime wrote:
League has evolved, Pete and his high energy is great, but won’t or hasn’t evolved. How many playoff wins does he have over the last 5 years? His philosophies don’t work in the playoffs. Unless he has elite DE and the Lob.

Since the miracle win vs. Green bay in the NFC championship game six years ago, we have 3 playoff wins.

My point exactly.

The issue is, Russ is overrated and not a lead dog or Pets Philosophies are out of date. It has to be one.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:59 pm

Gametime wrote:

Ick...straight up hate both those options. I want to hope for the best, but listening to Pete talk about the run game is like when my dad tells me about what he used to pay for whiskey!

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:27 am

Gametime wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:10 pm
D-train wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:58 pm
Gametime wrote:

My point exactly.

The issue is, Russ is overrated and not a lead dog or Pets Philosophies are out of date. It has to be one.
it's the latter. but not so much the general philosophy thats the problem, but lack of creativity within that, failure to pivot when Plan A isnt working, he incessant meddling, etc etc.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:02 am

Lamb's DC Staley heading cross town to the Chargers, 9er's Saleh off to the Yets. Off season already getting interesting. Two best defenses in the division just took a hit.

Seattle just interviewed Adam Gase - the dude that failed so hard in NY that even Jamal Adams wanted out. Jesus. Can you even imagine introducing him as the next OC? Nah, Carroll will promote Canales and the entire hawksnation will absolutely revolt. Pivotal moment for this franchise - if Carroll fucks this up and hires another retread, expect fans to start bailing on this team fast. At the end of the day, the NFL is nothing more than entertainment, and I cannot imagine anyone wanting to consume more of the same old bullshit that Seattle has been feeding them for too long.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:04 pm

By Matt Calkins
Seattle Times columnist
Reputations aren’t always fair. Sometimes you get smacked with a label early in your career and can do little, if anything, to shake it.

Sometimes you can be punished for your own success — such as consistently losing in the finals, whereas an earlier-round loss would have spared you the scrutiny.

But fair or not, Pete Carroll-coached Seahawks teams are developing a rep for being unable to make a deep playoff run. And it might, just might, be the difference between him making the Hall of Fame or not.

RELATED SEAHAWKS
Russell Wilson’s cooking days are over, as long as Pete Carroll remains the Seahawks’ coach | Calkins
Analysis: Before hiring offensive coordinator, Seahawks’ Pete Carroll must meet Russell Wilson in the middle
Seahawks’ wild-card playoff loss to Rams was a 60-minute choke job | Matt Calkins
More

For five straight appearances, the Seahawks have failed to get past the second round of the playoffs. Ever since that infamous interception in the final minute of the Super Bowl loss to the Patriots, they has been relatively stagnant in the postseason.

Again, the fact that they’ve been in the postseason every year but one since that defeat is an achievement unto itself. But given their talent levels over the years — with players such as Russell Wilson, Bobby Wagner, Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, K.J. Wright and DK Metcalf to name a few — you’d think they would have been able to re-crack the final four. But they haven’t. In fact, they haven’t gotten all that close.

In January 2016, the Seahawks fell behind 31-0 to the Panthers in their second-round matchup. Yes, they cut the deficit to seven via a Stephen Hauschka field goal with 1:12 to go, but they never stood much of a chance. In January 2017, the Seahawks lost to the Falcons in their second-round matchup, scoring on their opening drive before giving up 36 of the game’s next 49 points.

In January 2019 — after missing the playoffs the previous season — the Seahawks lost to the Cowboys 24-22 in their first-round matchup. In that one, Carroll faced criticism for his failure to abandon the run despite Dallas holding Seattle to 73 rushing yards on 24 carries.

Last January, the Seahawks lost to the Packers 28-23 in their second-round matchup. This was the closest they have come to reaching the conference championship game since that Super Bowl loss, but they were still outplayed. Green Bay led 28-10 at one point in the second half, and a last-ditch effort to take the lead fell apart when the Seahawks were forced to punt on fourth-and-11 with 2:41 to go.

It’s hard to characterize as any of the aforementioned losses as choke jobs considering all were on the road. But the Seahawks did look ill-prepared against the Panthers and the Falcons, and had a self-stifling offensive game plan vs. the Cowboys.

Then, of course, there was last Saturday’s 30-20 loss to the sixth-seeded Rams, which may have been the Seahawks’ most underwhelming playoff game since Carroll took over. Wilson was off and the Rams’ pass rush overwhelmed the Seahawks’ offensive line, but there was also a crucial clock mismanagement in the fourth quarter that led to a false start and a Seahawks punt. That falls on the coach.

Let’s be clear: Pete Carroll is not Marty Schottenheimer, the wildly successful regular-season coach who never reached the Super Bowl in any of his 13th playoff appearances. He is a Super Bowl champ, a Super Bowl runner-up and a threat to go back again.

ADVERTISING
Skip Ad

But if we’re talking about playoff reputations — one that started with that blunder vs. New England — Carroll is gaining one.

It’s possible that Carroll reaches the Hall of Fame regardless of future postseason success. In addition to that Lombardi Trophy, he has five division titles and eight 11-win seasons. Only New England’s Bill Belichick has been more consistent in the regular season among active coaches, and with Tom Brady gone, he may cede that title to Carroll.

But make no mistake — these early-round losses are adding up for Carroll. And fair or not, they are subtracting from his status.
dt

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:17 pm

Looks like Pederson is out of the running. Ugh. I have this gnawing feeling this OC hire is gonna be a disappointment. Maybe Seattle can just check some boxes and hire a female - ideally one who is a BLM/Antifa "peaceful protestor"! Check, check, check... :P That would be SO Seattle. Ohhhhh, then they can play some home games in Portland, too!

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:55 pm

auroraave wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:17 pm
Looks like Pederson is out of the running. Ugh. I have this gnawing feeling this OC hire is gonna be a disappointment. Maybe Seattle can just check some boxes and hire a female - ideally one who is a BLM/Antifa "peaceful protestor"! Check, check, check... :P That would be SO Seattle. Ohhhhh, then they can play some home games in Portland, too!
It may also just be one of Pete's kids. Hell, Danny O'Neil this morning was trying to point out that his kids actually hold him accountable. If it takes hiring a kid for some accountability? Fuck that.

I agree, this hire is totally going to lack any excitement. Right about now I have more faith in Jimmy Lake getting a good DC....and I have almost no faith in that!

One guy wants a power run offense, but runs every play out of the shotgun with no FB, and the other thinks that LBs and D Lineman are the devil!

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:10 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:55 pm
auroraave wrote:
It may also just be one of Pete's kids. Hell, Danny O'Neil this morning was trying to point out that his kids actually hold him accountable. If it takes hiring a kid for some accountability? Fuck that.

I agree, this hire is totally going to lack any excitement. Right about now I have more faith in Jimmy Lake getting a good DC....and I have almost no faith in that!

One guy wants a power run offense, but runs every play out of the shotgun with no FB, and the other thinks that LBs and D Lineman are the devil!

I can't help but think, and maybe it's just me projecting this, that if this hire isn't widely embraced by the fans and 'pundits', I have a feeling fan interest in the Seahawks is going to decline quickly. From a marketing stand point, no one wants to watch old school ball. Regardless of the merits or lack of merits of Carroll's philosophy, at the end of the day, the Seahawks are nothing more than a consumable product, and if that product doesn't evolve out of the dark ages, I know I'm not going to have any interest in watching. With the cost of games, the politics, the injuries, all the things the league has going against it, PC's "holding on for dear life" philosophy is just not going to be embraced anymore, IMO. Not while watching other teams put their foot on the gas out of the gate. There is more to the game than his plodding along approach, and watching that same movie over and over again, well, no thanks. I can't watch that anymore. Life is too short. Beyond the x's and o's of the game, if this team does not evolve, I think they are going to be in real trouble - both in the standings, and in fan support. After the epic disaster this season ended in, trotting out the same old same old, is going to be a very slippery slope to sell the fans.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:35 pm

auroraave wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:10 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:55 pm
auroraave wrote:

I can't help but think, and maybe it's just me projecting this, that if this hire isn't widely embraced by the fans and 'pundits', I have a feeling fan interest in the Seahawks is going to decline quickly. From a marketing stand point, no one wants to watch old school ball. Regardless of the merits or lack of merits of Carroll's philosophy, at the end of the day, the Seahawks are nothing more than a consumable product, and if that product doesn't evolve out of the dark ages, I know I'm not going to have any interest in watching. With the cost of games, the politics, the injuries, all the things the league has going against it, PC's "holding on for dear life" philosophy is just not going to be embraced anymore, IMO. Not while watching other teams put their foot on the gas out of the gate. There is more to the game than his plodding along approach, and watching that same movie over and over again, well, no thanks. I can't watch that anymore. Life is too short. Beyond the x's and o's of the game, if this team does not evolve, I think they are going to be in real trouble - both in the standings, and in fan support. After the epic disaster this season ended in, trotting out the same old same old, is going to be a very slippery slope to sell the fans.
Did you see this:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... inclusion/

And one day later they announce they are going to interview a guy that has been a RB coach for 24 years without a single promotion who just happens to be black. Good news is Biden will be a huge Hawks fan.
dt