Post Mortem: 2021 Playoffs - Seahawks v Lambs

DavidGee24

Re: Post Mortem: 2021 Playoffs - Seahawks v Lambs

Post by DavidGee24 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:18 pm

On this week's episode of "Contrarianism Gone Wrong" starring Donn Beach as "The Contrarian"...
Michael K. wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:21 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:24 am
give a break with the up-tempo crap. What i saw was lousy preparation and poor execution. That team couldn't run the offense they had effectively, you think they could run an up-tempo one?
Yes. Have you never watched a Seahawks playoff game? Carolina? Green Bay? Are you seriously going to say you have never watched this team go three and out all first half while looking absolutely lifeless, then run tempo and start lighting up the scoreboard? Come on man.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:28 pm

The fucking QB asked for it all offseason, and got it...to the tune of 5 and 0. Pete just couldn’t stand it. He was actually more comfortable playing his brand of football, to a 7 and 5 finish than he was going uptempo and high flying and being 5 and 0. If that isn’t just asinine!

And now? The QB doesn’t even wait for the off season, but mentions it in the post game!

He isn’t uncomfortable winning 17 to 14 he says....but apparently he is in winning 38 to 25. That was the Atlanta score...and Pete complained immediately. Good Lord.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:33 pm

Only to Pete would holding on for dear life at the end of the game be better than winning by 13!

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:47 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:33 pm
Only to Pete would holding on for dear life at the end of the game be better than winning by 13!
Its a total control thing. He couldn't stand all of his antiquated philosophies getting shredded. He's obsessed with proving his way is the best way and wants to be fully responsible for any success.
dt

Gametime

Post by Gametime » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:23 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:47 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:33 pm
Its a total control thing. He couldn't stand all of his antiquated philosophies getting shredded. He's obsessed with proving his way is the best way and wants to be fully responsible for any success.
Yes, Pete and his Rah Rah--my offense and defense philosophy has always worked---until the last 5 years in the playoffs isn't working in the most important part of the year.

Pete's lack of ability to come off his old philosophies is hurting this team. We will see going forward, we will see when Russ is another year older if this offense can make it the same old way Pete likes it.

Hope it changes, just don't think it will (or it would have over the past 5 years).

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:48 am

DavidGee24 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:18 pm
On this week's episode of "Contrarianism Gone Wrong" starring Donn Beach as "The Contrarian"...
Michael K. wrote:
Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:24 am
give a break with the up-tempo crap. What i saw was lousy preparation and poor execution. That team couldn't run the offense they had effectively, you think they could run an up-tempo one?
Yes. Have you never watched a Seahawks playoff game? Carolina? Green Bay? Are you seriously going to say you have never watched this team go three and out all first half while looking absolutely lifeless, then run tempo and start lighting up the scoreboard? Come on man.
its being contrarian to not believe it would have worked Saturday?...fine with me. I don't think running up tempo fixes the issues with this offense, i don't see it as being that simple

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:37 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:48 am
DavidGee24 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:18 pm
Michael K. wrote:

its being contrarian to not believe it would have worked Saturday?...fine with me. I don't think running up tempo fixes the issues with this offense, i don't see it as being that simple
Running up tempo has a lot of advantages:
1. it makes the defense play vanilla, nothing exotic, making the reads much easier
2. it takes away defensive substitutions, allowing better matchups and causing fatigue
3. it allows the QB to focus on the attacking the defense without the distraction of what the coach is thinking.
4. it allows plenty of time to audible to a better play and avoid wasted timeouts - what a concept!
5. it puts the defense on its heels in react mode rather than attack, with little time to communicate.
6. it should allow an experienced vet QB to play with more confidence as he is running his own play call - no chance for dissonance there.

and last but not least in this particular case, it takes Carroll out of the equation.
which is why sadly here it has failed to get much traction.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:50 am

I am aware of the advantages of an up-tempo offense, there are also disadvantages to it or everybody would be doing it, i am not debating up-tempo offense. I am saying the issues with the Hawk offense run deeper than whipping out up-tempo...Lets say Eric Bieniemy is hired to run the offense, or even the team. You think his answer would be, heck lets run up-tempo, problem solved?

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:22 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:50 am
I am aware of the advantages of an up-tempo offense, there are also disadvantages to it or everybody would be doing it, i am not debating up-tempo offense. I am saying the issues with the Hawk offense run deeper than whipping out up-tempo...Lets say Eric Bieniemy is hired to run the offense, or even the team. You think his answer would be, heck lets run up-tempo, problem solved?
i'm convinced that the deeper part mostly centers around PC. not saying we couldnt use some better OL, or more maturity from your WR1, a more dynamic TE and a 3rd down back, but the biggest problem is him not getting out of the way.

I'm also not saying we need to run up tempo all game every game, but if that were the only alternative choice to the Carroll offense now, i take that all week and twice on Sunday.

maybe next year instead of Let Russ Cook it should be Make Pete Chafe.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:29 am

I am the last thing as a football offense expert, my understanding is they run a very simplistic offense by today's standards, just running it faster to me wouldn't be the answer.