Re: Post Mortem: 2021 Playoffs - Seahawks v Lambs

Post by auroraave » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:26 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:35 pm
auroraave wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:10 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:55 pm

It may also just be one of Pete's kids. Hell, Danny O'Neil this morning was trying to point out that his kids actually hold him accountable. If it takes hiring a kid for some accountability? Fuck that.

I agree, this hire is totally going to lack any excitement. Right about now I have more faith in Jimmy Lake getting a good DC....and I have almost no faith in that!

One guy wants a power run offense, but runs every play out of the shotgun with no FB, and the other thinks that LBs and D Lineman are the devil!

I can't help but think, and maybe it's just me projecting this, that if this hire isn't widely embraced by the fans and 'pundits', I have a feeling fan interest in the Seahawks is going to decline quickly. From a marketing stand point, no one wants to watch old school ball. Regardless of the merits or lack of merits of Carroll's philosophy, at the end of the day, the Seahawks are nothing more than a consumable product, and if that product doesn't evolve out of the dark ages, I know I'm not going to have any interest in watching. With the cost of games, the politics, the injuries, all the things the league has going against it, PC's "holding on for dear life" philosophy is just not going to be embraced anymore, IMO. Not while watching other teams put their foot on the gas out of the gate. There is more to the game than his plodding along approach, and watching that same movie over and over again, well, no thanks. I can't watch that anymore. Life is too short. Beyond the x's and o's of the game, if this team does not evolve, I think they are going to be in real trouble - both in the standings, and in fan support. After the epic disaster this season ended in, trotting out the same old same old, is going to be a very slippery slope to sell the fans.
Did you see this:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... inclusion/

And one day later they announce they are going to interview a guy that has been a RB coach for 24 years without a single promotion who just happens to be black. Good news is Biden will be a huge Hawks fan.

It's 2021 - they have to, at the very minimum, go through all the 'minority candidate' interviews to appease certain segments, and I cannot imagine that guy is in anything more than checking that box, I just hope it's not because they really plan on promoting Canales up to OC. One of the strangest things i read was an ESPN article about how Wilson wants input into the next OC hire - what baffles me about this declaration, is that he's had three years under shotty to be heard. In his last presser he lamented how they 'maybe should've' gone to some tempo stuff - so while he is protecting his image and building his brand with safe soundbites, why wasn't he exercising is input power the last three years? What's he been doing besides being a yes man for, not only three season, but the disaster that ended the season? he knew what the Rams did on defense, did he not have ANY input the week of game planning, not to mention during the game itself? His statement makes no sense to me - who has more input than the QB? He said himself he'd have liked to do some different stuff - was he just telling Ciara that? He spends all day with the OC, so, at no point did it ever occur to him to say something? It's shit like this that makes me really question Russell Wilson.

RW will never be a GOAT - the GOATS are NEVER yes men. Wilson is too scared to go against his personal brand, to stir it up, to have the balls to take control and demand more, and that Wishy Washy routine is not what gets you a jacket into Canton. It'll get you a nice fragrance deal, though.

Nine years in the league and all of a sudden he wants input? C'mon, man!

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:16 pm

dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:18 pm

auroraave wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:26 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:35 pm
auroraave wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:10 pm

I can't help but think, and maybe it's just me projecting this, that if this hire isn't widely embraced by the fans and 'pundits', I have a feeling fan interest in the Seahawks is going to decline quickly. From a marketing stand point, no one wants to watch old school ball. Regardless of the merits or lack of merits of Carroll's philosophy, at the end of the day, the Seahawks are nothing more than a consumable product, and if that product doesn't evolve out of the dark ages, I know I'm not going to have any interest in watching. With the cost of games, the politics, the injuries, all the things the league has going against it, PC's "holding on for dear life" philosophy is just not going to be embraced anymore, IMO. Not while watching other teams put their foot on the gas out of the gate. There is more to the game than his plodding along approach, and watching that same movie over and over again, well, no thanks. I can't watch that anymore. Life is too short. Beyond the x's and o's of the game, if this team does not evolve, I think they are going to be in real trouble - both in the standings, and in fan support. After the epic disaster this season ended in, trotting out the same old same old, is going to be a very slippery slope to sell the fans.
Did you see this:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... inclusion/

And one day later they announce they are going to interview a guy that has been a RB coach for 24 years without a single promotion who just happens to be black. Good news is Biden will be a huge Hawks fan.

It's 2021 - they have to, at the very minimum, go through all the 'minority candidate' interviews to appease certain segments, and I cannot imagine that guy is in anything more than checking that box, I just hope it's not because they really plan on promoting Canales up to OC. One of the strangest things i read was an ESPN article about how Wilson wants input into the next OC hire - what baffles me about this declaration, is that he's had three years under shotty to be heard. In his last presser he lamented how they 'maybe should've' gone to some tempo stuff - so while he is protecting his image and building his brand with safe soundbites, why wasn't he exercising is input power the last three years? What's he been doing besides being a yes man for, not only three season, but the disaster that ended the season? he knew what the Rams did on defense, did he not have ANY input the week of game planning, not to mention during the game itself? His statement makes no sense to me - who has more input than the QB? He said himself he'd have liked to do some different stuff - was he just telling Ciara that? He spends all day with the OC, so, at no point did it ever occur to him to say something? It's shit like this that makes me really question Russell Wilson.

RW will never be a GOAT - the GOATS are NEVER yes men. Wilson is too scared to go against his personal brand, to stir it up, to have the balls to take control and demand more, and that Wishy Washy routine is not what gets you a jacket into Canton. It'll get you a nice fragrance deal, though.

Nine years in the league and all of a sudden he wants input? C'mon, man!
I honestly would not be surprised if Kirby Wilson is the guy they go with.

Hasn't even interviewed for an OC position in 7 years.

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/rai ... c-position
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:02 pm

If they end up makng a token black hire or some loser like Gase i will enjoy watching Carroll go down with the ship the next 5 years and exit Seattle under a cloud of enmity like he did at USC. I won't enjoy watching the ship go down though.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:18 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:02 pm
If they end up makng a token black hire or some loser like Gase i will enjoy watching Carroll go down with the ship the next 5 years and exit Seattle under a cloud of enmity like he did at USC. I won't enjoy watching the ship go down though.
I actually think the primary reason they hire him is because in 23 years he has never been exposed to the passing game :lol: AND he is a guy the PC can "mold" since he will be blown away by just getting the job. Being black is frosting on the cake to keep the new VP and the movement happy.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:23 pm

Wow, check out these one armed take downs by Reggie White. When his kid told the other kids on the playground that my Dad can kick your Dad's ass with one hand tied behind his back, he wasn't joking. :shock: :shock: :shock:

https://twitter.com/Super70sSports/stat ... 2404436993
dt

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:03 am

D-train wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:18 pm
I actually think the primary reason they hire him is because in 23 years he has never been exposed to the passing game :lol: AND he is a guy the PC can "mold" since he will be blown away by just getting the job. Being black is frosting on the cake to keep the new VP and the movement happy.

I would legit be shocked if they hired him. This is probably the biggest off-season of Carroll's career. His team shit the bed in the playoffs as a direct result of glaring coaching blunders. This is the fourth OC we are looking at now in his tenure. If it isn't a game changer, if there isn't some real sizzle to it - PC will be in trouble, IMO. This is a big moment of change for the franchise. If Carroll blows this, I think even Jody will have to make a change. That Giants game and Lambs games are beyond any kind of excuse making - those fall on PC and a complete nuclear-level failure to game plan or adjust. I think he's under a microscope going forward - I just cannot fathom some lame duck candidate getting the OC gig and PC being able to justify it to the fans or the league - or the team. We all know RW will 'yes-man' the shit out of whomever it is and give him lots of free fragrance samples, but if PC promotes Canales, or brings in a lame-duck retread or quota hire, his days have to be numbered. There will be a revolt. We're way past that point now.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:08 am

auroraave wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:03 am
D-train wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:18 pm

I would legit be shocked if they hired him. This is probably the biggest off-season of Carroll's career. His team shit the bed in the playoffs as a direct result of glaring coaching blunders. This is the fourth OC we are looking at now in his tenure. If it isn't a game changer, if there isn't some real sizzle to it - PC will be in trouble, IMO. This is a big moment of change for the franchise. If Carroll blows this, I think even Jody will have to make a change. That Giants game and Lambs games are beyond any kind of excuse making - those fall on PC and a complete nuclear-level failure to game plan or adjust. I think he's under a microscope going forward - I just cannot fathom some lame duck candidate getting the OC gig and PC being able to justify it to the fans or the league - or the team. We all know RW will 'yes-man' the shit out of whomever it is and give him lots of free fragrance samples, but if PC promotes Canales, or brings in a lame-duck retread or quota hire, his days have to be numbered. There will be a revolt. We're way past that point now.
It shall be fascinating. Who do you think would be a sizzle hire? I honestly don't know of anyone but Eric B. but why would he come here.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:12 am

PC would hire someone that isn't a sizzle hire for the same reason he does anything. His enormous ego has him believing his own bullshit.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:04 am

O'Neil thinks people are freaking out too much. Run game coordinator?..like with Bevel/Cable?...does seem like i have been hearing that around the league, teams with run game coordinators. I didn't think it was actually sharing the play calling
Wilson is a draw here, not a detriment, and it’s very possible that Seattle is moving back toward the power-sharing arrangement that used to exist on offense with a run-game coordinator and someone else calling the passing plays. In the meantime, everyone should take a deep breath. The Seahawks are exploring options, not running out of them.
https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1274096/ ... nclusions/