Post Mortem: 2021 Playoffs - Seahawks v Lambs

douche

Re: Post Mortem: 2021 Playoffs - Seahawks v Lambs

Post by douche » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:45 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:20 pm
I don't think there's that much of a drop-off from Lynch to Carson. I think the threat of Wilson running the ball was what made the offense work more than anything. Why they got away from that i don't know.
Together, Wilson and Lynch were dangerous.

And as for WIlson's running (or lack thereof), it could be partly due to age. Or perhaps they just don't want him running as much anymore now that they're paying him the big money.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:01 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:20 pm
I don't think there's that much of a drop-off from Lynch to Carson. I think the threat of Wilson running the ball was what made the offense work more than anything. Why they got away from that i don't know.
Lynch was better, and never left the field. But, you have a point. I really think the read option was a HUGE part of what worked. Lynch was amazing. How does anyone play like that and not get hurt? Right up until he broke down, he was SuperMan for what, five years?

They don't use the read option because they are afraid of Russ getting hurt, and I am not positive that wasn't at the request of Russ.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:04 am

douche wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:45 pm

And as for WIlson's running (or lack thereof), it could be partly due to age. Or perhaps they just don't want him running as much anymore now that they're paying him the big money.
Probably both. But, my point has been, Pete is in love with something he can't have back. Blows me away. No more Lynch, no more Wilson gouging defenses and making them honest in the run game, no more LOB and no more "arguably the best defense of all time", yet he thinks he can with the same way. SMH.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:26 am

Joe Fann and Danny Kelly discuss the potential OC candidates - they do not seem very hopeful. Good listen if you have 20 minutes. Or skip the first half, they delve into it more the last 10 minutes. Pretty much sums up my feeling on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCpCo-g-Bu4

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:32 am

kind of an interesting article here, though i mostly just skimmed it. Again, i think people are freaking out over this run more thing without really understanding what is on Pete's mind. Here is a look at how the run game is really pretty much a mess, including how they were running the read option. That is what Pete might have been thinking, they need to run the read option better and more. These guy argues that or just abandon it. I think its crazy to conclude that Pete has already decided that the answer to fixing things is to just run more.

He also points out in terms of lynch, that having RW on the read option was a big reason for Lynch's success, which I think is a really good point in terms of our Lynch nostalgia
How can one remain dangerous as a scrambler and turn into a virtual non-entity as a designed runner? I’m not smart enough to figure that out without oodles of time on my hands. I also don’t know how much of the switch to a power/zone blocking mix with Mike Solari compared to Tom Cable’s ZBS based approach is having an impact on the running game as a whole.

(Side note: This is not the point of my post but I believe one of the bigger failures of the Schottenheimer era was not getting Wilson out of the pocket more often on rollouts akin to what Sean McVay and Gary Kubiak and Kevin Stefanski love to do with their quarterbacks.)

The Seahawks have to either reincorporate Wilson into the rushing attack or readjust to a world where Russell is basically not involved anymore. There is no point in running read-options if teams don’t have to anticipate Wilson keeping it, and then when he does he turns the corner at a much slower speed than we’ve grown accustomed to seeing.

Speaking of Seahawks players scarcely running it, do you know how many carries Tyler Lockett had this season? Exactly. He had none. Schotty still kept motioning him to tease a handoff that never happened. Pre-leg break, Lockett memorably turned a jet sweep into a 75-yard touchdown. His subsequent 27 carries gained 122 yards over the next three seasons, including a robust -5 yards on four attempts in 2019. David Moore became the wide receiver runner of choice and turned half of his eight carries in 2020 to first downs.

Seattle’s style of running is just not as diverse as it used to be and I think it’s absolutely playing into a lot of the predictability problems that they experienced as the season progressed.
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2021/1/20/22 ... ris-carson

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:42 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:32 am
kind of an interesting article here, though i mostly just skimmed it. Again, i think people are freaking out over this run more thing without really understanding what is on Pete's mind. Here is a look at how the run game is really pretty much a mess, including how they were running the read option. That is what Pete might have been thinking, they need to run the read option better and more. These guy argues that or just abandon it. I think its crazy to conclude that Pete has already decided that the answer to fixing things is to just run more.

He also points out in terms of lynch, that having RW on the read option was a big reason for Lynch's success, which I think is a really good point in terms of our Lynch nostalgia
How can one remain dangerous as a scrambler and turn into a virtual non-entity as a designed runner? I’m not smart enough to figure that out without oodles of time on my hands. I also don’t know how much of the switch to a power/zone blocking mix with Mike Solari compared to Tom Cable’s ZBS based approach is having an impact on the running game as a whole.

(Side note: This is not the point of my post but I believe one of the bigger failures of the Schottenheimer era was not getting Wilson out of the pocket more often on rollouts akin to what Sean McVay and Gary Kubiak and Kevin Stefanski love to do with their quarterbacks.)

The Seahawks have to either reincorporate Wilson into the rushing attack or readjust to a world where Russell is basically not involved anymore. There is no point in running read-options if teams don’t have to anticipate Wilson keeping it, and then when he does he turns the corner at a much slower speed than we’ve grown accustomed to seeing.

Speaking of Seahawks players scarcely running it, do you know how many carries Tyler Lockett had this season? Exactly. He had none. Schotty still kept motioning him to tease a handoff that never happened. Pre-leg break, Lockett memorably turned a jet sweep into a 75-yard touchdown. His subsequent 27 carries gained 122 yards over the next three seasons, including a robust -5 yards on four attempts in 2019. David Moore became the wide receiver runner of choice and turned half of his eight carries in 2020 to first downs.

Seattle’s style of running is just not as diverse as it used to be and I think it’s absolutely playing into a lot of the predictability problems that they experienced as the season progressed.
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2021/1/20/22 ... ris-carson
Yeah I guess it iss crazy to listen to what a crazy man says when trying to understand what he is thinking. Great point.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:45 pm

I had been thinking of the criticism of press here in handling Trump, hanging on some comment of his and blowing it all out of proportion and all that, but yeah, dealing with a crazy man....

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:49 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:45 pm
I had been thinking of the criticism of press here in handling Trump, hanging on some comment of his and blowing it all out of proportion and all that, but yeah, dealing with a crazy man....
Good analogy. They have a lot in common.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:25 pm

Yep, Lockett was never motioned with a purpose. Check out the short TD pass to Adams the Packers had last week. That had more creativity in a one yard gain than anything Schotty ran all year. I just have a hard time believing any OC would run the boring ass shit we run without the order from above.

And, what a shock. People in here have been laughing at the read option for years because everyone on the stadium knew Russ wasn’t keeping it and we have all also wondered why they don’t move Russ around to get him away from pressure. If the author would have added in a question about why we can’t run a damn screen pass it would have almost been as if it was someone cherry picking ideas from here.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:14 pm

Mike Rob on the NFL Net right now breaking down what Green Bay did last week to create mismatches. It really is exactly what everyone in here said we should do against the Rams. So disgusting that we don’t have the ability to take our talent and use it.

Everyone talks about their O Line kicking ass and outs sucking? Green Bay created mismatches with motion and by getting to the line of scrimmage and giving Rodgers the chance to attack based on what the defense showed. Straight up rocket science....not.