Post by Donn Beach » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:07 am

most interesting qb matchup ever?...

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... v27hkyh6cs

D-train

Re: Conference Championships prediction thread

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:38 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:47 am
didn't watch the games, some interesting fg decisions...McDermott kicks a field goal in a two possession game, to make it...a two possession game. He did that to avoid being criticized? Criticized for what? That made no sense at all, try as i might, i can not come up with a contrarian defense for that wow...The Lafleur decision is more interesting. That is a Seahawk move, banking on your defense to get you the ball back. I think you have to go for the tie there, go for the TD. Of course if they were playing the hawks they would get the ball back and take it down to a nail biting chance to win it
You know it's a beyond horrible decision when......... ;)
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:41 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:01 am
The Bills screwed up by not kicking the extra point. Get it to 16, which is a two possession game, missing it kept it at 17, which was a three score game...and essentially over.
Yeah I was flipping back and forth to 90 day fiancée at that point and could not fathom how the score got to be a 17 point spread. How can there be so many idiots making millions in the NFL. PC definitely has company that somehow made their Conference championship games.
dt

douche

Re: Sunday perdictions

Post by douche » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:58 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:20 pm
Bucs 27
Pack 21

Chiefs 36
Bills 24
Impressive predictions.

D-train

Re: Sunday perdictions

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:32 pm

douche wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:58 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:20 pm
Bucs 27
Pack 21

Chiefs 36
Bills 24
Impressive predictions.
Damn straight.
dt

bhofferb

Post by bhofferb » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:43 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:16 am
Michael K. wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:50 am
Once people stop criticizing the call on fourth down, maybe they will look at the throw Rodgers made on third down when he probably could have run it in, instead of forcing a fourth and long that was damn near intercepted.

And yes, passing on Kelcee sucks, but he would have done nothing here because Pete would still be breaking him into the rotation while he works on bulking up to be a better blocker.
You can make a case for going for it, but 4th and 8 after three straight failures is really asking a LOT, even of Rodgers. I liked the Puckers' chance on D, especially with the shitty throws Brady was making.
I was working and listening to the game on the radio. From what the announcers described, the Packers were inexplicably trying to stall out the end of the first half instead of trying to score, which obviously backfired. Is this accurate? Was it a case of "trying not to screw up" instead of "trying to score points?"

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:24 pm

bhofferb wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:43 pm
DavidGee24 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:16 am
Michael K. wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:50 am
Once people stop criticizing the call on fourth down, maybe they will look at the throw Rodgers made on third down when he probably could have run it in, instead of forcing a fourth and long that was damn near intercepted.

And yes, passing on Kelcee sucks, but he would have done nothing here because Pete would still be breaking him into the rotation while he works on bulking up to be a better blocker.
You can make a case for going for it, but 4th and 8 after three straight failures is really asking a LOT, even of Rodgers. I liked the Puckers' chance on D, especially with the shitty throws Brady was making.
I was working and listening to the game on the radio. From what the announcers described, the Packers were inexplicably trying to stall out the end of the first half instead of trying to score, which obviously backfired. Is this accurate? Was it a case of "trying not to screw up" instead of "trying to score points?"
There were only two minutes left in the game. The thinking was that they had a better chance of holding the Bucs, getting the ball back and scoring a TD than scoring a TD on 4th and goal from the 8 AND converting the two point conversion.
dt

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:27 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:47 am
didn't watch the games, some interesting fg decisions...McDermott kicks a field goal in a two possession game, to make it...a two possession game. He did that to avoid being criticized? Criticized for what? That made no sense at all, try as i might, i can not come up with a contrarian defense for that wow...The Lafleur decision is more interesting. That is a Seahawk move, banking on your defense to get you the ball back. I think you have to go for the tie there, go for the TD. Of course if they were playing the hawks they would get the ball back and take it down to a nail biting chance to win it
The nature of football is that going for it on 4th down has historically been "gambling" and that it's a tougher decision than punting. If you go for it on 4th down and fail, it's the coach's fault for "gambling". If you punt, it's the players' fault for failing on the first three downs. Gregg Easterly of ESPN used to harp on this in virtually every single article he wrote and was almost always in the right.

Of course, football has wised up in recent years to the more correct concept that going for it on 4th down is actually more playing the percentages which are in your favor, but the original concept that kicking in short yardage situations is the coach playing it safe and covering his own ass still stands.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:33 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:24 pm
bhofferb wrote:
There were only two minutes left in the game. The thinking was that they had a better chance of holding the Bucs, getting the ball back and scoring a TD than scoring a TD on 4th and goal from the 8 AND converting the two point conversion.
He was talking about the first half. I didn't catch what the Puckers did, but the worst thing that should have happened was the Butts kicking a long FG, and instead Kevin King let the receiver just run right on by him. That was four to seven completely free points.

bhofferb

Post by bhofferb » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:46 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:33 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:24 pm
bhofferb wrote:
He was talking about the first half. I didn't catch what the Puckers did, but the worst thing that should have happened was the Butts kicking a long FG, and instead Kevin King let the receiver just run right on by him. That was four to seven completely free points.
Right- I turned the game on with about 3 minutes left in the first half. GB had the ball and the announcers were commenting that the Packers did not seem to be in any hurry to move the ball or attempt to score, which they seemed to think was odd.