Hawks get the man I like at OC

IStillLoveTheMs

Hawks get the man I like at OC

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:29 am

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/307 ... oordinator

Anyone who has watched the Rams passing game has to salivate wondering what Russ can do in it.

Fantastic hire imo.

Lamda

Re: Hawks get the man I like at OC

Post by Lamda » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:37 am

I admittedly didn't follow this search to much other than seeing what names were being put out there. I wonder about this hire though. We passed over a couple of fired head coaches, some other notables, and went with a guy that I don't even remember being mentioned. Knee-jerk reaction is - did Pete hire another quiet guy that will just follow what he says so he can keep 'meddling' in the offense? I thought we had a real opportunity to hire a guy to come in and create some hugely dynamic offense that would be hard to stop - is this guy it? Or is this just more of the same? Thoughts?

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:01 am

Lamda wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:37 am
I admittedly didn't follow this search to much other than seeing what names were being put out there. I wonder about this hire though. We passed over a couple of fired head coaches, some other notables, and went with a guy that I don't even remember being mentioned. Knee-jerk reaction is - did Pete hire another quiet guy that will just follow what he says so he can keep 'meddling' in the offense? I thought we had a real opportunity to hire a guy to come in and create some hugely dynamic offense that would be hard to stop - is this guy it? Or is this just more of the same? Thoughts?
I like that it's not some boring, failed head coach.

I'd much rather have a guy who is young and excited to prove himself than some conservative old fart.

I've always been jealous of the Rams O. It's no secret that the Rams run an offense that throws the opposing D off and there's often breakdowns. I just wanna see something where Russ doesn't have to be constantly fighting an uphill battle to be successful. My hope is this guy can design some stuff that free's up Russ... give him some easy completions for once.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:02 am

Yeah, sounds like an interesting hire, about as good as one might hope. And for as much as you might like McVays passing game his run game is very strong. But what I like is he sounds like a young guy that can both communicate and innovate

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:45 am

I'm not sure we should assume he's going to run an offense like McVay's. Carroll will decide how much of the playbook is changed and he kept 70% after hiring Schottenheimer according to the article. Plus, his only play-calling experience seems to have been as a highschool OC for one year.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:14 pm

IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:01 am
Lamda wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:37 am
I like that it's not some boring, failed head coach.

I'd much rather have a guy who is young and excited to prove himself than some conservative old fart.

I've always been jealous of the Rams O. It's no secret that the Rams run an offense that throws the opposing D off and there's often breakdowns. I just wanna see something where Russ doesn't have to be constantly fighting an uphill battle to be successful. My hope is this guy can design some stuff that free's up Russ... give him some easy completions for once.
Hey, watch it you young whippersnapper! :)

Totally agree with your points.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:45 pm

Yeah, don't think it's gonna be about installing McVays offense, that's not going to happen. Rather getting what the hawks have running more efficiently, the adaptability aspect

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:10 pm

I like it. The Rams use of formation and motion to create mismatches is exactly what this team has lacked. Now let's see if Grampa Pete let's him loose.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:18 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:10 pm
I like it. The Rams use of formation and motion to create mismatches is exactly what this team has lacked. Now let's see if Grampa Pete let's him loose.
Again, those were McVay's concepts and Waldron had nothing to do with them. His job was to make sure Goff executed those plays to the best of his ability and i'm not sure he did a great job of that. I certainly hope he will bring that offensive philosophy with him and that Carroll would allow him to install it. Hopefully he will at least be able to get Wilson to stop bailing out of the pocket for no reason and get rid of the ball quicker.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:25 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:18 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:10 pm
Again, those were McVay's concepts and Waldron had nothing to do with them. His job was to make sure Goff executed those plays to the best of his ability and i'm not sure he did a great job of that. I certainly hope he will bring that offensive philosophy with him and that Carroll would allow him to install it. Hopefully he will at least be able to get Wilson to stop bailing out of the pocket for no reason and get rid of the ball quicker.
We will definitively find out this year whether our assessments of PC are too harsh or accurate.
dt