Salary Cap

Hasslecracked

Salary Cap

Post by Hasslecracked » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:45 pm

Does it make sense to anyone else that the Rams and Chiefs are literally signing anyone with a pulse to huge deals but we can't afford anyone after paying Wilson and Wagner? What is Schneider doing wrong?

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: Salary Cap

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:36 pm

Didn't the Rams have to make a lot of cuts following their go-for-it Superbowl season? They'll probably have to again. Wasn't that what motivated the QB trade, trying to free up cap space from Goff's contract. And KC hasn't had to pay Mahomes yet. His cap hit goes from 5 mil to 25 mil in 2021 and increases every year through 2027 when it will reach an incredible 60 mil.

Hasslecracked

Post by Hasslecracked » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:47 pm

I believe they actually took on more salary from Goffs dead money cap hit and taking on Stafford

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:08 pm

Sibelius nailed this. Mahomes signed a contract that essentially gave the Chiefs this year for free so he'd have the best possible team around him. They were essentially in the position we were when RW was on his rookie deal. In a few years, they'll be in our situation, with Mahomes not quite as mobile, and costing half their cap. As for the Rams, I'm not sure who you think they are signing. Jalen Ramsey was the only big signing they've had in recent years. Whitworth signed a pretty cheap deal, and Aaron Donald and Goff were the only other big contracts they had. Of course, Aaron Donald seems like 3 guys on the field so that's a bargain.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:35 pm

Hasslecracked wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:47 pm
I believe they actually took on more salary from Goffs dead money cap hit and taking on Stafford
I don't think there is a dead cap hit from Goff. They are saving something like 3 mil this year and 8 mil in 2022.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:05 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:36 pm
Didn't the Rams have to make a lot of cuts following their go-for-it Superbowl season? They'll probably have to again. Wasn't that what motivated the QB trade, trying to free up cap space from Goff's contract. And KC hasn't had to pay Mahomes yet. His cap hit goes from 5 mil to 25 mil in 2021 and increases every year through 2027 when it will reach an incredible 60 mil.
Yep

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:56 am

SeattleAddict wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:08 pm
Sibelius nailed this. Mahomes signed a contract that essentially gave the Chiefs this year for free so he'd have the best possible team around him. They were essentially in the position we were when RW was on his rookie deal. In a few years, they'll be in our situation, with Mahomes not quite as mobile, and costing half their cap. As for the Rams, I'm not sure who you think they are signing. Jalen Ramsey was the only big signing they've had in recent years. Whitworth signed a pretty cheap deal, and Aaron Donald and Goff were the only other big contracts they had. Of course, Aaron Donald seems like 3 guys on the field so that's a bargain.
Rams have 140 million tied up into 6 players and dead cap. That leaves about 40 million for 47 players to fill out their roster.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:48 am

the Rams have had some good drafts haven't they, even after trading their number one picks...as i understood it, the formula was trade them for vets, hit on lower picks

Hasslecracked

Post by Hasslecracked » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:45 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:08 pm
Goff, Gurley, Woods, Kupp, Cooks, Donald, and Ramsey have all signed big deals with them in the last 4 years.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:10 pm

Hasslecracked wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:45 pm

Goff, Gurley, Woods, Kupp, Cooks, Donald, and Ramsey have all signed big deals with them in the last 4 years.
And the Seahawks have signed RW, BW, Dunlap, Brown, KJ, Lockett and Reed to contracts over $10m during that time, plus Clowney, Olsen and even Baldwin until he retired were all in the 7 to 9 million range.