dt

ThePro

Re: Brilliant! 18 game season with 16 game per player limit

Post by ThePro » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:02 am

D-train wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:07 am
Not all are from fights.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/137 ... ory#slide1
Ok but there are no football players getting concussions or spraining ankles? And it's there fault for not wearing facemasks. What would a NFL players face look like if they did the same. Sorry but bloody faces and missing teeth from buffoonery doesn't equate to the hitting in football.

I think you are equating violence to physicality. Not the same thing . They are borderline playing too many games in the NFL now. Hockey isn't the same. Rugby is closer than Hockey.

Also they play more games and a NHL players average career is longer 5 years to 3.3 .
Last edited by ThePro on Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:27 pm

Also, the nature of hitting in football and hockey are just not the same. In football, they gain leverage by planting their feet and then driving into, or through, the opponent. They are using their body in a different way. Hockey players are basically transferring momentum that they build up from velocity on the ice and transferring it in more of a lateral motion relative to their spine rather than along the axis of their spine. The football player is hitting with much more force, as a consequence of being able to plant firmly on the ground.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:44 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:27 pm
Also, the nature of hitting in football and hockey are just not the same. In football, they gain leverage by planting their feet and then driving into, or through, the opponent. They are using their body in a different way. Hockey players are basically transferring momentum that they build up from velocity on the ice and transferring it in more of a lateral motion relative to their spine rather than along the axis of their spine. The football player is hitting with much more force, as a consequence of being able to plant firmly on the ground.
There are those type of hits in football too. Momentum built up from a sprint.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:56 pm

True, and I guess hockey players can sort of plant their blades sideways into the ice, but for the most part football contact is with greater force and the players are generally a lot bigger too.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:53 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:27 pm
Mass times velocity equals momentum. The velocity is higher in hockey and the mass is greater in football but my guess is the momentum which eventually translates to force is comprable.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:04 am

Yeah, and it's far easier to achieve and maintain velocity on the ice, while football players are planting on turf putting massive stresses on their knees and ankles as they cut. acce;erate. and make sudden stops. And a player running at full velocity that gets sent tumbling to the ground is taking a whole lot more punishment that a hockey player that absorbs a hit against a wall by some 175 lb dude. NFL players are playing at the limit of size and strength that is achievable through all the advances in nutrition and weight training. What is the average size of a hockey player? There's a reason why injuries and concussions are far more prevalent in football. Why are we even arguing about this, it's so obvious football is a far more brutal sport.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:23 am

Please respond to the differential between the sternness of the playing surface as well as the 5x greater amount of games as well as the 10x greater amount of actual physical time played
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:24 am

So maybe I should ask you why you're f****** arguing about this m***********
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:54 am

Because, it's f***ing fun as f***ing hell, maaaaaan!!!!

:lol:

I mean, does either of us really know what the f*** we're talking about here. Myself, I've been on ice stakes once in my entire life and never played a down of football.