Reed just got more pricey.

D-train

Reed just got more pricey.

Post by D-train » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:43 pm

Maybe we can make him play all 18 games......
And on Monday came what former NFL agent Joel Corry, who now writes about league financial matters for CBSSports.com and other outlets, said is some clarity to Reed’s market value thanks to a new contract signed by Atlanta’s Grady Jarrett.

Jarrett, who been given a franchise tag by Atlanta last spring, agreed to a four-year deal worth up to $68 million ($17 million per year average) on Monday just before the deadline for teams to sign tagged players to long-term contracts.

“That helps really define the (defensive tackle) market,’’ Corry said of a contract that makes Jarrett the third-highest paid defensive tackle in the NFL behind only Aaron Donald of the Rams and Fletcher Cox of the Eagles.

ADVERTISING

Reed is represented by Young Money APAA Sports, headed up by Lil Wayne. And Corry said if he were Reed’s agents, the deal Jarrett received would be the starting point.

“I would be using that as ‘this is where the market is. This is his benchmark. This is the comp we should be talking about,’’’ Corry said.

It was a deal Reed noticed as well, tweeting shortly after it was announced “S/o to ‪@GradyJarrett big time my guy.’’

Corry, though, says it might not even be that simple, noting that Chris Jones is also still hoping to get a new deal from the Kansas City Chiefs.

Corry says he doesn’t think Jones will sign for less than $20 million a year, and that he doesn’t think the Chiefs will want to pay it. But if Jones were to get a new contract at that number, then Reed’s agents would likely to point to that deal, as well.

“He is not Chris Jones,’’ Corry said of Reed. “But (if he were Reed’s agent) I would be factoring that into the equation, as well.’’
dt

ThePro

Re: Reed just got more pricey.

Post by ThePro » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:55 pm

Well if they didn't pay Clark they ain't paying Reed.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:48 am

ThePro wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:55 pm
why, because an inside pass rusher is easier to find than an edge???? might be even odds he walks, but lets see how much BWags sets them back before closing the door on Reed. In particular if his sack totals drop back to single digits this year, maybe his market drops a bit as well. not that i'm rooting for that.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:01 am

57reasons wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:48 am
ThePro wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:55 pm
why, because an inside pass rusher is easier to find than an edge???? might be even odds he walks, but lets see how much BWags sets them back before closing the door on Reed. In particular if his sack totals drop back to single digits this year, maybe his market drops a bit as well. not that i'm rooting for that.
I think inside rusher is harder to find but precedence has been set. They'll trade Reed for picks if he is commanding a 20 mil salary.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:12 pm

If we can get close to what we got for Clark. All good.
dt

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:40 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:12 pm
If we can get close to what we got for Clark. All good.
No not all good. You are losing good Defensive linemen that Hawks drafted in their prime. Team hasn't really shown it has replaced Clark's production. It could be disastrous this year.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:54 pm

Here is a decent D line preview. I am hopeful Ansah is healthy.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/672953/se ... sive-line/
dt

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:19 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:54 pm

Even if he is healthy..He is tremendously overrated. Unless Green steps up and Collier is a player. Both scenarios are realistic. I fear that the Clark trade will haunt this team like the Unger trade did. They need to keep the D linemen they draft. That simple.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:47 pm

ThePro wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:19 pm
D-train wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:54 pm

Even if he is healthy..He is tremendously overrated. Unless Green steps up and Collier is a player. Both scenarios are realistic. I fear that the Clark trade will haunt this team like the Unger trade did. They need to keep the D linemen they draft. That simple.
Sure but if we didn't trade him DK is probably not a Hawk.
dt

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:24 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:47 pm

Sure but if we didn't trade him DK is probably not a Hawk.
That is an unknown too. If Hawks end up acquiring a star wideout for Clark then trade makes sense. But to tempt fate again especially if Reed has another season like 18would be foolish IMO.