Is this the year RW wins MVP?

auroraave

Is this the year RW wins MVP?

Post by auroraave » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:43 pm

This offense, on paper, looks stacked - even with the unproven young 'uns. He's got the contract, he is the guy, and he is going to have to drag this team to whatever heights it's going to attain - because that defense is no longer the franchise backbone, sans the wicked linebacking corp - which is the best in the league. After all the shit he took for the SB pick - all the bad blood it created from that generational defense (deserved or not) - everything just feels like it's lining up for him and this team to explode offensively.

The dude in in his prime - it's all on him now - is this his MVP year?

Or does Dickson win it? :P

D-train

Re: Is this the year RW wins MVP?

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:02 pm

They may throw more this year but probably still close to a 50/50 split. The obsession with total passing yards will likely keep him out of the running once again.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:31 pm

how about PC winning a COTY...

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:46 pm

auroraave wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:43 pm
This offense, on paper, looks stacked - even with the unproven young 'uns.
I like what we have, and where we are going, but in comparison to the weapons a lot of the other MVP candidates have I just don't see Russ being able to put up the eye popping numbers. Not the same amount of weapons around him and not the same number of opportunities.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:13 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:46 pm
auroraave wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:43 pm
This offense, on paper, looks stacked - even with the unproven young 'uns.
I like what we have, and where we are going, but in comparison to the weapons a lot of the other MVP candidates have I just don't see Russ being able to put up the eye popping numbers. Not the same amount of weapons around him and not the same number of opportunities.
I would counter that notion with we are a run-oriented offense - and that backfield is the deepest in the league. Carson, Penny, (McKissick and Procise in theory) and Travis Homer who is an absolute beast. There is major speed at WR - and size, too. Then at TE - Dissly was tearing it up before his injury. I think it is an underrated TE group - and the WR corp has a very high ceiling and two big playmakers (DK has to prove himself). Oh, and a loaded, veteran, NASTY o-line. Oh, then you have Penny and Homer out of the backfield - both with excellent hands and speed - and have to be accounted for. So many options here. It's all in theory - but with the competitiveness this team thrives on - it's looking like 2012 to me - except it's the offense, not the defense, that'll be doing damage - and for once - the defense will be rested cause they ain't on the field all day! That should benefit them, too.

RW doesn't need to throw 40 times - the play action should wreak havoc on defenses - and if they bring back the read-option in doses - good grief. How do you counter that many weapons and options? There is huge potential here.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:18 pm

To have a more pass oriented offense or for Wilson to win an MVP. He has to have someone to throw to. He has that now.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:43 pm

auroraave wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:13 pm

RW doesn't need to throw 40 times - the play action should wreak havoc on defenses - and if they bring back the read-option in doses - good grief. How do you counter that many weapons and options? There is huge potential here.
Not saying he doesn't. But I imagine some of the guys playing in more up tempo pass happy offenses are going to put up video game type numbers.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:00 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:43 pm
auroraave wrote:

Not saying he doesn't. But I imagine some of the guys playing in more up tempo pass happy offenses are going to put up video game type numbers.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but if Seattle makes the playoffs on the back of RW and the offense really shines - i don't know that they have to have the gaudy stats. He was a candidate before and didn't have gaudy stats. Each situation is different. he'll have to have a special season, for sure, but I don't at all believe he needs to throw for 5000 yards or have 50 td's. RW checks a lot of boxes out of the gate - he's been successful, he's won a ring, he's always in the playoffs, he's the face of he franchise, he's never in trouble. He's a candidate out of the gate, IMO. They have to finish strong though. It won't be won before December - and that's a bonus considering how often this offense has gotten out of the gate slowly. But - that was because of horrific o-line play - now they have a strong unit that can ground and pound until the aerial attack gels with the new toys.

Who knows - but it's going to be interesting, for sure.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:02 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:43 pm
auroraave wrote:

So there's no run first video games? :)
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:04 pm

I was pretty happy Edgar got in the HOF but for the most part I really don't care much about individual awards and honors.
dt