Why Seattle is Winning the Offseason

auroraave

Why Seattle is Winning the Offseason

Post by auroraave » Wed May 08, 2019 5:42 pm

First post.

I would like to officially protest the lack of a horse forum - and I'm holding DT personally responsible. I am also thanking him for minimizing my temptation at posting equine-related shenanigans. Maoling - you can jump in anytime - just don't block anyone along the guardrail coming out of turn three... :P

Dear NFL: Seattle is totally winning the offseason, so prepare yourself for the magic to come.

Russell Wilson. Despite the media desperately trying to stir up controversy (RW to the Giants? Please), Seattle and RW came to an absolutely brilliant agreement. RW gets his worth, gets to be the highest paid player, knowing full well that will be eclipsed. For now, he gets to check that off his bucket list – and good for him. He’s earned it. For Seattle, they keep the franchise intact, keep Wilson happy, but don’t cripple the cap or completely reset the market. It is such a fair deal all the way around. I’d fully admit to giggling like a school girl about this deal, but I fear you’d think less of me… as if that’s possible. Zing!

Dealing Frank Clark. Look, I liked the dude, a lot, he was a force and made plenty of highlight reels. Now, here comes the big "but" (cue: I like big butts and I cannot lie), but I like him at a price – and going over $20 million was overpaying, in my opinion. He’s a genuine talent, but he is not dominating game changer that warrants that kind of cap hit for Seattle, who has a different agenda than Kansas City. KC got their man but gave up plenty. It’s understandable because they’re in win-now mode – exploiting their window of opportunity while Mahomes is on the rookie deal – so they can afford it. It makes sense for them. It made sense for Seattle who turned him into draft capitol they desperately needed – and into six players after all the trading was over. Hope he does well, loved his game, but he is not a big loss, he is a loss Seattle turned into an advantage by getting younger and cheaper and hungrier. This was a trade that was solid win/win for both teams.

The Present and... the future. Under Carroll and JC, Seattle Seahawk football is at their best when the team is young and hungry - and I mean absolutely starving, and with a chip on their proverbial shoulders. Pete Carroll’s teams are not superstar driven, they hungry and need to be fed. Yes, they have had stars, like the LOB, but they overachieved to become stars, they didn’t start that way – with the possible exception of Earl. Now we have Bobby and RW – and some hungry guys around them. This roster turnover and the talent acquisition of the last couple of seasons make this the most exciting group since 2012 – and they have a veteran QB – it’s really pretty amazing. Almost no one else has this enviable situation. And they still have cap room to acquire more help up front (Dear Santa, please bring us Ansah). This team is on target for that Seahawk attitude of compete and be hungry.

They got a friggin' kicker! Seattle takes the place-kicking game seriously by bringing back Jets' free agent kicker, Jason Myers, whom they astonishingly cut to to keep Janikowski. Head scratcher, I know. Pairing Myers with Michael Dickson gives Seattle their most formidable kicking duo since Hauschka and the Ginga Ninja, Jon Ryan. Myers gets to live the NFL dream by, not only playing for the amazing Seahawks, but also by NOT playing for the Jets. Hey now! Don’t forget to tip your waitress, folks! Relief is knowing there will be no more horrible visions of Sea Bass waddling around out there.

How about that draft? From four picks to 11. JC crushing it. On the Dan Patrick show, Phil Simms was talking about the draft, said he thought Seattle had the best haul of anyone. In a CBS Sports ‘Most Underrated Players’ article published pre-draft, Washington’s Ben Birr-Kirvin and Wake Forest guard Phil Haynes. LJ Collier should ease the loss of Clark, although they're not interchangeable. Thanks for extending your contract, RW, now meet your new toys; DK Metcalf... and Gary Jennings... and John Ursua... and Travis Homer. Yeah, let's beef up that stud linebacking core with tacking machines Burr-Kirvin and Utah's Cody Barton. Need some secondary help? How about heavy-hitting safety Marquise Blair? They grabbed another guy from Oregon, but to hell with the Ducks in general, so I'm ignoring him.

Let's assume they’ll sign more free agents, mostly just because I said so, and they want to make me look good. Ziggy Ansah would make me look (and feel) really, really good. So, c'mon guys, let's get on that.

I don't think this is quite a Super Bowl team, but JS and PC are putting together a roster that is reminding me of 2012 - a lot of young hungry talent - and this time they have the unbelievable luxury of having an MVP caliber QB who should keep us in every game, until the defense grows into it's potential. Let's see what this team morphs into. It's a pretty exciting time.

Every day I thank sweet Jesus that I am not a Cardinals fan. Do you?

Image result for sad cardinals fans

These feel like smart, but not flashy, moves. Moves designed to build on a ten-win playoff team, by adding depth, speed, new toys for an MVP caliber quarterback, improved special teams quality, depth, and a brighter future.

So, yeah. The Seahawks are totally winning the off season. Go Hawks!

Oh, here's a message to the rest of the NFL... hold my f'n beer!

If you want the full article with hilarious pictures...

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/5/7/185 ... -offseason

D-train

Re: Why Seattle is Winning the Offseason

Post by D-train » Wed May 08, 2019 5:53 pm

Welcome to the new spam less troll free forum! Go Hawks! In lieu of a horse forum I will buy you an inflatable horse for your birthday. :D
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 08, 2019 6:18 pm

Ian Rapoport

Verified account

@RapSheet
Follow Follow @RapSheet
More
Sources: The #Seahawks have emerged as the front-runner to sign star FA DE Ziggy Ansah. They visited with him in late April and need a big-time pass-rusher after dealing Frank Clark. The contract has not been finalized yet. He also visited with the #Bills, who remain interested.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed May 08, 2019 6:19 pm

auroraave wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:42 pm
First post.

I would like to officially protest the lack of a horse forum - and I'm holding DT personally responsible. I am also thanking him for minimizing my temptation at posting equine-related shenanigans. Maoling - you can jump in anytime - just don't block anyone along the guardrail coming out of turn three... :P
Glad you made the move over....hope you can learn to live without the horse forum!

auroraave wrote:
Dear NFL: Seattle is totally winning the offseason, so prepare yourself for the magic to come.

Russell Wilson. Despite the media desperately trying to stir up controversy (RW to the Giants? Please), Seattle and RW came to an absolutely brilliant agreement. RW gets his worth, gets to be the highest paid player, knowing full well that will be eclipsed. For now, he gets to check that off his bucket list – and good for him. He’s earned it. For Seattle, they keep the franchise intact, keep Wilson happy, but don’t cripple the cap or completely reset the market. It is such a fair deal all the way around. I’d fully admit to giggling like a school girl about this deal, but I fear you’d think less of me… as if that’s possible. Zing!
I agree. Though I was one that fully bought into the Ciarra being Yoko Ono story, I am thrilled with the deal. The only thing I was really against was the escalation clause...and that may have never even been a real issue.
auroraave wrote:
Dealing Frank Clark. Look, I liked the dude, a lot, he was a force and made plenty of highlight reels. Now, here comes the big "but" (cue: I like big butts and I cannot lie), but I like him at a price – and going over $20 million was overpaying, in my opinion. He’s a genuine talent, but he is not dominating game changer that warrants that kind of cap hit for Seattle, who has a different agenda than Kansas City. KC got their man but gave up plenty. It’s understandable because they’re in win-now mode – exploiting their window of opportunity while Mahomes is on the rookie deal – so they can afford it. It makes sense for them. It made sense for Seattle who turned him into draft capitol they desperately needed – and into six players after all the trading was over. Hope he does well, loved his game, but he is not a big loss, he is a loss Seattle turned into an advantage by getting younger and cheaper and hungrier. This was a trade that was solid win/win for both teams.
Yeah, Like Pete said the other day. Would be great to have Frank but the market dictated otherwise.
auroraave wrote:
The Present and... the future. Under Carroll and JC, Seattle Seahawk football is at their best when the team is young and hungry - and I mean absolutely starving, and with a chip on their proverbial shoulders. Pete Carroll’s teams are not superstar driven, they hungry and need to be fed. Yes, they have had stars, like the LOB, but they overachieved to become stars, they didn’t start that way – with the possible exception of Earl. Now we have Bobby and RW – and some hungry guys around them. This roster turnover and the talent acquisition of the last couple of seasons make this the most exciting group since 2012 – and they have a veteran QB – it’s really pretty amazing. Almost no one else has this enviable situation. And they still have cap room to acquire more help up front (Dear Santa, please bring us Ansah). This team is on target for that Seahawk attitude of compete and be hungry.
Much like I was looking forward to what last year's team would do in this situation, I am very excited about the second year of this "re-build".
auroraave wrote:
They got a friggin' kicker! Seattle takes the place-kicking game seriously by bringing back Jets' free agent kicker, Jason Myers, whom they astonishingly cut to to keep Janikowski. Head scratcher, I know. Pairing Myers with Michael Dickson gives Seattle their most formidable kicking duo since Hauschka and the Ginga Ninja, Jon Ryan. Myers gets to live the NFL dream by, not only playing for the amazing Seahawks, but also by NOT playing for the Jets. Hey now! Don’t forget to tip your waitress, folks! Relief is knowing there will be no more horrible visions of Sea Bass waddling around out there.
I wish they had kept Myers last year, but Seabass made some big kicks for us....the kickoff issue was strange, and some of the misses baffling.
auroraave wrote:
How about that draft? From four picks to 11. JC crushing it. On the Dan Patrick show, Phil Simms was talking about the draft, said he thought Seattle had the best haul of anyone. In a CBS Sports ‘Most Underrated Players’ article published pre-draft, Washington’s Ben Birr-Kirvin and Wake Forest guard Phil Haynes. LJ Collier should ease the loss of Clark, although they're not interchangeable. Thanks for extending your contract, RW, now meet your new toys; DK Metcalf... and Gary Jennings... and John Ursua... and Travis Homer. Yeah, let's beef up that stud linebacking core with tacking machines Burr-Kirvin and Utah's Cody Barton. Need some secondary help? How about heavy-hitting safety Marquise Blair? They grabbed another guy from Oregon, but to hell with the Ducks in general, so I'm ignoring him.
Screw Oregon! LOL, but I was happy after this draft. I didn't like the #1 pick, but they seemed to have a plan.
auroraave wrote:
I don't think this is quite a Super Bowl team, but JS and PC are putting together a roster that is reminding me of 2012 - a lot of young hungry talent - and this time they have the unbelievable luxury of having an MVP caliber QB who should keep us in every game, until the defense grows into it's potential. Let's see what this team morphs into. It's a pretty exciting time.
I think they are closer to a Super Bowl team than many think, and closer than even last year when they were a play or two from the second round.
auroraave wrote:
Every day I thank sweet Jesus that I am not a Cardinals fan. Do you?
Yes, but I sure do wish we got to root against that A Hole Rosen for another year or two.
auroraave wrote:
Image result for sad cardinals fans

These feel like smart, but not flashy, moves. Moves designed to build on a ten-win playoff team, by adding depth, speed, new toys for an MVP caliber quarterback, improved special teams quality, depth, and a brighter future.

So, yeah. The Seahawks are totally winning the off season. Go Hawks!

Oh, here's a message to the rest of the NFL... hold my f'n beer!

If you want the full article with hilarious pictures...

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/5/7/185 ... -offseason
Any link making fun of the Cardinals is a good link.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Wed May 08, 2019 6:37 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:53 pm
Welcome to the new spam less troll free forum! Go Hawks! In lieu of a horse forum I will buy you an inflatable horse for your birthday. :D
And you guys can be the back end of my horse costume for Halloween. I'll just have to remember not to drink any protein shakes beforehand.

And definitely a big "what if" is what if we'd signed Myers instead.

Oso Dorado

Post by Oso Dorado » Wed May 08, 2019 7:54 pm

Generally I agree with the analysis....the media has underrated our offseason. The idea that we need to sign Crabtree is an example of that. Ziggy Ansah, yes, but after that we're pretty set.

That "Oregon guy". I think he'll have a lot more fans once he starts making plays....and I think he will make plays. He has a nose for the ball.

Kick Rosen while you may. I think he'll be a good NFL QB. He needed seasoning, and still does, but I've watched him in college, and think he's pretty good. Not good enough to save the train wreck that was the Cards last year, but I think he works it out. Not as good as Goff's second year, but noticeably better.

Ah, the horse forum. I may have an idea about that.

Lamda

Post by Lamda » Wed May 08, 2019 9:26 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:18 pm
Ian Rapoport

Verified account

@RapSheet
Follow Follow @RapSheet
More
Sources: The #Seahawks have emerged as the front-runner to sign star FA DE Ziggy Ansah. They visited with him in late April and need a big-time pass-rusher after dealing Frank Clark. The contract has not been finalized yet. He also visited with the #Bills, who remain interested.
I had a feeling we told him we'll sign you after the 'losing a draft pick' period...expect him to sign soon.

maoling

Post by maoling » Wed May 08, 2019 9:48 pm

You crack me up, aurora. Great write-up. Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Oso Dorado

Post by Oso Dorado » Thu May 09, 2019 3:02 am

I just saw in the NFL network that we signed Ziggy
It is all good
Watch out NFL

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 09, 2019 3:07 am

dt