Let's Ride! Broncos' Country Amusement Thread

ddraig

Re: Let's Ride! Broncos' Country Amusement Thread

Post by ddraig » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:17 pm

The Steelers are out of the Russell Wilson Sweepstakes!

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/n ... 37715.html

douche

Post by douche » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:14 pm

This article is about as accurate as I've ever seen it put.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/a ... 57415.html

Some snippets...

"This isn't to say that Wilson was a bad quarterback. Instead, we were viewing much of his theatrics through a magical lens; a set of parameters that would be difficult to recreate elsewhere as we would soon find out. He was like Mac software being run on old Windows. He was a key to a Porsche being jammed into the ignition of a Honda Accord."

"If anything, we should all be angry at Pete Carroll, Seahawks general manager John Schneider and the troika of offensive coordinators for simply keeping the secret for so long. Wilson was a very good quarterback in a perfect situation."

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:24 pm

For the first couple of years.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:31 pm

douche wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:14 pm

Some snippets...

"This isn't to say that Wilson was a bad quarterback. Instead, we were viewing much of his theatrics through a magical lens; a set of parameters that would be difficult to recreate elsewhere as we would soon find out. He was like Mac software being run on old Windows. He was a key to a Porsche being jammed into the ignition of a Honda Accord."

"If anything, we should all be angry at Pete Carroll, Seahawks general manager John Schneider and the troika of offensive coordinators for simply keeping the secret for so long. Wilson was a very good quarterback in a perfect situation."
Maybe. I haven't read the article, and while I agree with some of what you quoted there? It wasn't any OC or Pete Carroll that dropped those dimes for deep balls. I have a hard time believing someone that is PAID TO COACH FOOTBALL couldn't watch the hundreds of hours of tape on Russ and see what he should and shouldn't and could and couldn't do. Maybe Hackett and Peyton are not all that great? Maybe Sean Payton made himself into something he isn't by riding on the back of a damn good QB? What is Payton's record without Drew Brees? Payton is a complete ass that was exposed and while Hackett seems like a pretty good guy, would he even have an NFL job if not for his relationship with Aaron Rodgers?

Russ had big time flaws, and tip of the cap to Pete for being able to recognize and work around those. But if those other guys couldn't figure it out? All we read for an entire off season was how Russ was freed and how great it would be. Then? They fired Hacket and brought in Payton and we heard the same shit. Now? Now it's all on the limitations of Russ? How convenient. Non of the limitations he has are shocking, IMO. He never seemed to read defenses all that well, exibit A being not checking out of the worst play in Seahawk history. He always struggled in the pocket and with the middle of the field short and intermediate. Both for the same reason...he was fucking short. Lately his ego got in the way, and he was so damn set on proving that he could do those things, could be Brady and Mahomes, that he went away from what worked.

Many of us were scoffed at by the Russ is the Michael Jordan of the NFL guys when we asked aloud "what happens when he can't be as mobile?". A bunch of dudes in an internet chat forum asked a question that Hacket and Payton missed? We asked about paying a guy that might be very limited as he aged, but the FO in Denver didn't? Funny how Payton seems to escape all the criticism that every other coach received when Russ couldn't get it done. I think Seattle wins two if not more Super Bowls with Brees instead of Russ. And I think Payton would have zero with Russ and not Brees. Yet it's now all about what Russ can't do? He never could do the things he can't do now, he just doesn't have the LOB to lean on. Doesn't have Beastmode to lean on. Can't go to the Read Option. Doesn't have the same talent at WR that he had. All the bitching about what Russ didn't have, and how that would improve in Denver cracks me up. Yet? All that talk went away, and now it's all about what Hackett couldn't get done and how Russ is washed.

douche

Post by douche » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:22 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:31 pm
douche wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:14 pm

Some snippets...

Maybe Sean Payton made himself into something he isn't by riding on the back of a damn good QB? What is Payton's record without Drew Brees?
Can't disagree. And good question. When I heard that DEN signed Payton for all that money, my first thought was that they just made another mistake. In a long line of mistakes since the new ownership took over.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:53 pm

douche wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:22 pm
Can't disagree. And good question. When I heard that DEN signed Payton for all that money, my first thought was that they just made another mistake. In a long line of mistakes since the new ownership took over.
Look at the list of QBs after John Elway right up to Peyton Manning? Then look at the guys after Manning? That organization has been making mistakes for some time. I wonder if they hadn't given up on Drew Lock, and just not wasted all those resources on giving up on a young guy, what would have happened? The number of young QBs they played with for a minute or two and then cast off? Shit, maybe the same can be said for Russ. I was tired of him, but mostly because I thought his pouting was not only affecting his play, but his teammates. But my GOD, he was light years better here than he was there. Maybe they need to start looking internally?

That said, the dude had his own staff last year and an office. Denver shouldn't have allowed that, but Russ is a jackass for asking for it. Who knows how much that impacted things? If his crybaby bullshit upset things here, how did his over the top I am a God attitude affect things there?

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:35 pm

If you were questioning the Payton hire before the season you're much more astute than me. I thought it seemed like a pretty good idea. I think you saw positive aspects last season. He got things rolling after that terrible start, the defense firmed up. I think Payton knows something about offense. What seems interesting now looking back, it seems pretty obvious Rus wasn't the right guy to run it. There's a disconnect I don't understand. Particularly if the rumor of Rus wanting Pete replaced by Payton. Rus must have seen himself thriving in that offense but why? And all the stuff about Payton building an offense for Rus. Seemed to me he came in and dropped the hammer on him like he did Hackett over the off season. There's quotes out there from other players on how badly Payton treated Rus, what was the point of that?

As I understand it Payton is obsessed with running his offense strictly and presisely. Rus wasn't the right guy, he's a freelancer and I'm going guess probably not too concerned with details. Brees I guess was the perfect guy for it. There's stories of Brees in meetings. Rattling off all the details and intricacies of all the different plays all from memory. Payton thought Rus would have the same sort of abilities? Remember them dumbing down the playbook mid season. Payton finally realizing Rus isn't Drew Brees? We snickered at it but was that fair to Rus? Good coaching is putting your players in position to succeed. Payton didn't seem to grasp that.

What really gets me is that crappy attitude Payton seems to possess. It's all second hand info but it seems to be. There's too much evidence of him tearing people down. Surprises me he's been so successful. But I bet it had a hand in them coming out so flat at the beginning of the season. Now I'll get my PC plug in. Isn't like night and day to Pete? You can roll your eyes at his optimism but man, he's pumping guys up, not tearing them down. He'd have them believing in themselves at the beginning of the season, not that flat crap Payton delivered fans.

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:46 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:35 pm
If you were questioning the Payton hire before the season you're much more astute than me. I thought it seemed like a pretty good idea. I think you saw positive aspects last season. He got things rolling after that terrible start, the defense firmed up. I think Payton knows something about offense. What seems interesting now looking back, it seems pretty obvious Rus wasn't the right guy to run it. There's a disconnect I don't understand. Particularly if the rumor of Rus wanting Pete replaced by Payton. Rus must have seen himself thriving in that offense but why? And all the stuff about Payton building an offense for Rus. Seemed to me he came in and dropped the hammer on him like he did Hackett over the off season. There's quotes out there from other players on how badly Payton treated Rus, what was the point of that?

As I understand it Payton is obsessed with running his offense strictly and presisely. Rus wasn't the right guy, he's a freelancer and I'm going guess probably not too concerned with details. Brees I guess was the perfect guy for it. There's stories of Brees in meetings. Rattling off all the details and intricacies of all the different plays all from memory. Payton thought Rus would have the same sort of abilities? Remember them dumbing down the playbook mid season. Payton finally realizing Rus isn't Drew Brees? We snickered at it but was that fair to Rus? Good coaching is putting your players in position to succeed. Payton didn't seem to grasp that.

What really gets me is that crappy attitude Payton seems to possess. It's all second hand info but it seems to be. There's too much evidence of him tearing people down. Surprises me he's been so successful. But I bet it had a hand in them coming out so flat at the beginning of the season. Now I'll get my PC plug in. Isn't like night and day to Pete? You can roll your eyes at his optimism but man, he's pumping guys up, not tearing them down. He'd have them believing in themselves at the beginning of the season, not that flat crap Payton delivered fans.
People forget that Payton comes from the Bill Parcells coaching tree. Back before Older Bill started to mellow, he was a hardass, which is when Payton was with him. Brees was tough enough mentally to withstand Payton early, thereby earning Payton's respect and forging lines of communication with him. Russ is not that and Payton is not Pete. Russ needs a protector and someone to blow sunshine up his ass. Payton couldn't believe what a mental midget Russ actually was.

I bet in quiet times, Payton was thinking "How the hell did we lose to this POS all those years?

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:59 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
I hate Payton. He is a lying scumbag. Bountygate was bad enough, but lying about not knowing about it? Then he comes to Denver and essentially rips the entire staff there before him!? I have never in my life watched a game about two teams I don't care about and rooted for one harder than I rooted for the Jets when they beat the Broncos. And did it with the MILF hunter at QB. Wilson was 19/26 with a pick and no TDs, and his team wone 31 to 21! Russ was 20/31 for 196 and 2 TDs and 0 Picks. But I'm sure it was his fault.
Donn Beach wrote:

Yep, destroy your players and see how well that works out for you. Can you imagine designing an offense that will only work for Drew Brees, then acting like it's not your fault?

In the four year run with Brees from 2017 to 2020? The Saints were 49 and 15. Payton has coached two seasons without Brees. 9 and 8 and 8 and 9. So, genius with a QB like Brees, mediocre without him. Sure, that is a lot of coaches, but can we stop hearing about what a mastermind he is? The Saints have been in salary cap Hell since he walked away, right? They sold their souls those four years and went 3 and 4 in the playoffs over that span, losing the Ship to the Rams (horrible PI, I know) and the Tampa Toms.

douche

Post by douche » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:04 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
If you were questioning the Payton hire before the season you're much more astute than me. I thought it seemed like a pretty good idea. I think you saw positive aspects last season. He got things rolling after that terrible start, the defense firmed up.
For me, it wasn't so much astute, it was the idea that DEN had created this ridiculous problem (Wilson trade, Hackett hiring, etc.) and then offering Payton a million dollars a game to fix it all. The idea of simply throwing more money at the problem is a classic government fix. And we know how those turn out.

I agree with you, he eventually did get things rolling but to think that an overpaid HC is going to resolve all the problems is somewhat short-sighted. Like so many teams who think they're one QB away from winning it all. So they blow the bank on one guy and... the team is still going nowhere.