The problem with Geno

AZOldDawg

The problem with Geno

Post by AZOldDawg » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:54 am

I see two issues with Geno that are probably not resolvable. First he simply is a slow reader of defensive schemes. He just didn’t get that aptitude or instinct that the better QB’s have. It’s not his fault. It’s just what it is. Second he is a wind up passer which makes him pretty one dimensional and gives pass rushers an extra step or two. The only answer is a great O Line that gives him plenty of time. Not a good combination in my opinion. We will truly have to improve the QB position if we plan to swim in deep end

Michael K.

Re: The problem with Geno

Post by Michael K. » Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:29 pm

AZOldDawg wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:54 am
I see two issues with Geno that are probably not resolvable. First he simply is a slow reader of defensive schemes. He just didn’t get that aptitude or instinct that the better QB’s have. It’s not his fault. It’s just what it is. Second he is a wind up passer which makes him pretty one dimensional and gives pass rushers an extra step or two. The only answer is a great O Line that gives him plenty of time. Not a good combination in my opinion. We will truly have to improve the QB position if we plan to swim in deep end
Might be something to the reading defenses issue. I just read a fantasy column that says to start Geno this week because the Skins play man defense at the 8th highest rate in the league. Says Geno's passer rating is 33rd in the NFL against Zone Defense and 4th against man to man!

trharder

Post by trharder » Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:57 pm

I agree with his inability to quickly access the situation and react. I don't think a quicker throwing motion would help much.

What we are facing is reality - unfortunately. Even before the present time, people on here were saying they were afraid we'd
eventually be seeing "bad Geno". Credit to MK if it was him that coined that. In hindsight, the Seahawks FO feared this too.
That's why they structured the contract the way they did where they could get out year to year. Geno himself even feared this.
That's why he accepted the contract allowing the Seahawks a contract that allowed them to get out year to year.

Fact is - it's really hard to BOTH be able to find a viable receiver to throw to quickly AND not throw five picks per game.
If you are average like Geno, the fear of the five picks makes you even worse at making a quick decision.
I feel slightly stupid condemning a man who's not able to do this while never having even a fraction of Geno's talent.

What Pete knows is 1. he's fucked. 2. if the running game ever gets going, Geno can operate at an above average level anyway.
3. if the defense ever gets really good, you can win games even if the offense is a bumble fest.

What pisses me off is - even if Pete thinks it's smart to coddle Geno - you still have to allow Lock a chance to compete.
In this last embarrassment of a game, the Ravens pulled their star QB and put in their excellent backup QB. FFS, Pete, do the
same and either Lock will suck as bad or worse than Geno, or he could do something to compete. This would have likely
quieted the "bench Geno" sayers more than encourage them and actually help Geno. But no. Lost opportunity.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:20 pm

I looked at Geno's College stats and could not believe my eyes.

Sr. year

13 Games 369 Completions 518 Attempts 71.2% 4205 Yards 8.1 Yard/Attempt 42 TDs 6 INTs 163.9 Rating

For reference

Penix last 13 games

13 Games 327 Completions 487 Attempts 67.1% 4610 Yards 9.4 Yard/Attempt 34 TDs 10 INTs 169.1 Rating

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:39 pm

The college game was a lot different back then too. Geno looked like the read deal coming out of school. I just think the game never slowed down for him. He plays like he is totally confused if the first read isn’t there. Sanchez had an interesting take on Brock and Salk. If anyone should understand a disappointing NFL career it’s Mark Sanchez. Anyway, he said the negative plays are piling up and Geno is playing scared. Also mentioned that he moves well, and if he just trusted his legs he could steal two or three first downs a game.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:45 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:20 pm

Sr. year

13 Games 369 Completions 518 Attempts 71.2% 4205 Yards 8.1 Yard/Attempt 42 TDs 6 INTs 163.9 Rating

For reference

Penix last 13 games

13 Games 327 Completions 487 Attempts 67.1% 4610 Yards 9.4 Yard/Attempt 34 TDs 10 INTs 169.1 Rating

Yeah, Penix is eerily similar in his skillset. Hope the Seahawks pass on him.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:37 pm

I have watched about 97% of both of their snaps this season and I don't see that at all. Total Apples to Orangutans comparison though given the O lines and Defenses.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:07 pm

Well, neither runs much and they both have arm talent with deep ball accuracy. We haven't really seen Penix under consistent pressure since UW can actually pass block, but he does seem to handle it better.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:21 am

D-train wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:37 pm
I have watched about 97% of both of their snaps this season and I don't see that at all. Total Apples to Orangutans comparison though given the O lines and Defenses.
If you watch any pair of QBs it will almost always appears to be apples to orangutans. It's kinda like how all snowfalls in the Seattle area look and act differently and none of the quite look the same as any of the others.

I think Geno threw a little prettier deep ball in college, but Penix can throw some beauties as well. In college Geno's feet hopped around like he consumed an 8 ball before taking the field, and on the other side Penix Jr can get a little heel clicky like he's wishing himself back home, however both throw with a nice wide base and can really load up the back hip for some great deep throws.

Both can sling a quick release, but both different natural arm slots. Penix often throws more 3/4 than back behind the ear.

Both throw with tremendous accuracy while either throwing with touch or a laser strike threading coverage.

Both can throw accurately on the run.

Both can get mobile but prefer their nice clean pockets.

I think Penix sees a bigger chunk of the field better, but I think Geno throws with better anticipation.

I'd from what I can see between these two college developed QBs it is more like comparing apples to pears. But let your eyes judge.

Geno Smith West Virgina Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RvlbNu9Kvo

Michael Penix Jr Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LYyCXRp5mo

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:29 am

D-train wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:20 pm

Sr. year

For reference

Penix last 13 games

Geno had a good college career
Geno Smith's college statistics sparkled.

He was widely considered a Heisman contender heading into his senior year because of his gaudy statistics, and he was briefly the front-runner after an eight-touchdown outburst against Baylor early in 2012.

Inconsistent play caused him to fall off as the season wore on, but he wound up with a great stat line for the season.