Geno's Future

trharder

Geno's Future

Post by trharder » Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:13 pm

Matt Calkins -
"Sunday afternoon in Tennessee, the Seahawks quarterback proved how much better his team is with him behind center. In that 20-17 win over the Titans, Smith cemented his status as one of the more clutch signal callers in the league. "

That sentence is literally near the top of his ST article. I mean, I'm under no delusion that Lock is better, but WTF.
Any comparison between Geno and Lock ignores the real problem - Neither is better than a decent backup.
I refuse to pay one penny to the seattle times to bust the paywall. Anyone want to copy paste the rest of the article?

D-train

Re: Geno's Future

Post by D-train » Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:21 pm

fyi when I post stuff from the Times it takes about a minute to do it because I go through and delete all the adds and links to other articles so it is an easier cleaner read for you guys. Merry Christmas.

Here is the difference. This is how it would look if I didn't do it every time.
By Matt Calkins
Seattle Times columnist
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — On third-and-six, the doubters’ mouths slowly began to close. On third-and-14, their upper and lower lips were a millimeter apart. And on third-and-goal from the 5, they were sealed shut.

Any questions about Geno Smith’s top-dog status? Put those to rest for good.

Sunday afternoon in Tennessee, the Seahawks quarterback proved how much better his team is with him behind center. In that 20-17 win over the Titans, Smith cemented his status as one of the more clutch signal callers in the league.

POSTGAME COVERAGE SEAHAWKS 20, TITANS 17
Seattle Seahawks tight end Colby Parkinson, right, is congratulated by teammates after scoring during the second half of an NFL football game against the Tennessee Titans on Sunday, Dec. 24, 2023, in Nashville, Tenn. (AP Photo/George Walker IV) TNJC133 TNJC133
Seahawks score go-ahead TD late for second straight week, keep playoff hopes alive
Reporter Bob Condotta grades the Seahawks’ win at the Titans in Week 16
Three things we learned from another frenetic finish in Seahawks’ win over Titans

More

Need a big play in quarter No. 4? Turn to No. 7. Geno’s four game-winning drives this season are tied for the most in the NFL.

It might have been tempting to think that Drew Lock should be Seattle’s QB of choice given his two-game performance in Smith’s absence. It wasn’t just that he engineered his own game-winning possession six days earlier vs. Philadelphia, but that he put up more-than-sufficient numbers against the Eagles and 49ers.

Plus, there was a reasonable concern that rust might come into play for Smith as he stepped back on the field after his groin injury. Not to mention the fact that, frankly, he hasn’t replicated the Pro Bowl season he produced in 2022.

ADVERTISING
Skip Ad

Skip Ad

Skip Ad

But when it matters — and in Sunday’s case, “matters” meant that the season was on the line — Geno has been reliable if not unflappable. Put the ball in his hands in the biggest moments, and he’ll put points on the board.

“You have to be around him to appreciate the competitive mentality he has. He’s in such a good place,” Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said of Smith. “He believes so strongly that it’s going to happen and it’s gonna get done, and his guys are going to come through for him. And that belief transfers, it translates to other guys, and they feel it.”

Not going to lie, that belief wasn’t so strong for the person penning this column after Smith’s first half Sunday. After Geno threw for just 69 yards in those first two quarters — which featured a couple of conspicuous misfires — I took to X to ask if Lock should start the second half with the Seahawks down 10-3. Nearly 60% of the respondents said yes, and given how a loss could have cost Seattle a chance at the playoffs, it seemed like a fair question.

Up Next - Peter Schrager awards Seahawks HC Pete Carroll as coach of the week

Ad 1 of 1 (0:13)
Next
Stay

Auto (225p)
225p
360p
Subtitles Off
Subtitles EN
English
It wasn’t.

Smith took the Seahawks to the Titans’ 9 on the first possession of the third quarter before Jason Myers drilled a field goal. One possession later, Smith led a 96-yard touchdown drive — Seattle’s longest of the season.

Oh, and good luck predicting who Smith was going to throw to. Three different Seahawks receivers — Tyler Lockett, Jaxon Smith-Njigba and DK Metcalf — had at least four catches and 56 receiving yards. But it was Smith’s final toss — a 5-yard TD pass to tight end Colby Parkinson — that put Seattle in a position to control its playoff narrative.

The setup: After the Titans (5-10) took a four-point lead on a 75-yard touchdown drive, the Seahawks offense took the field with 3:21 to play. Two plays later, Seattle (8-7) faced a third-and-six, but moved the chains after Smith hooked up with Lockett on a 7-yard completion.

ADVERTISING
Skip Ad

Skip Ad

Skip Ad

Two plays later, another third down. But this one required 14 yards for a first. No problem.

Smith hit Smith-Njigba in stride for an 18-yard gain.

This was the most commanding the Seahawks had looked all afternoon. And after two more completions — one to Lockett and another to Smith-Njigba — Geno chucked one to Metcalf, who drew a pass-interference flag that moved the ball to Tennessee’s 5.

Two plays later — with 57 seconds left — Smith connected with Parkinson in the end zone and potentially saved Seattle’s season. Two more wins, and the Seahawks are a lock for the playoffs.

Your dose of local sports news. Delivered Monday through Friday.

What can you say about your mentality in these clutch situations? Smith was asked.

“It’s the preparation,” said Smith, who finished the day 25 of 36 for 227 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions. “Coach prepares us for these opportunities, for these moments in the VMAC. Every single day we go over two-minute, a bunch of different situations and scenarios. It helps when you get out there on the field, you’re used to it. You know what to do.”

That was Smith being humble. Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner characterized Smith’s late-game composure more directly.

“It’s just amazing to watch,” Wagner said. “The biggest thing with Geno is just his poise, his poise when the pocket collapses to not panic, get the ball out, put it in playmakers’ hands and make plays.”

He makes plays all right. Maybe not always when the Seahawks want him to. But when they need him to? There are few better in the NFL.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:23 pm

This is how it looks after I clean it up.
By Matt Calkins
Seattle Times columnist
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — On third-and-six, the doubters’ mouths slowly began to close. On third-and-14, their upper and lower lips were a millimeter apart. And on third-and-goal from the 5, they were sealed shut.

Any questions about Geno Smith’s top-dog status? Put those to rest for good.

Sunday afternoon in Tennessee, the Seahawks quarterback proved how much better his team is with him behind center. In that 20-17 win over the Titans, Smith cemented his status as one of the more clutch signal callers in the league.

Need a big play in quarter No. 4? Turn to No. 7. Geno’s four game-winning drives this season are tied for the most in the NFL.

It might have been tempting to think that Drew Lock should be Seattle’s QB of choice given his two-game performance in Smith’s absence. It wasn’t just that he engineered his own game-winning possession six days earlier vs. Philadelphia, but that he put up more-than-sufficient numbers against the Eagles and 49ers.

Plus, there was a reasonable concern that rust might come into play for Smith as he stepped back on the field after his groin injury. Not to mention the fact that, frankly, he hasn’t replicated the Pro Bowl season he produced in 2022.

But when it matters — and in Sunday’s case, “matters” meant that the season was on the line — Geno has been reliable if not unflappable. Put the ball in his hands in the biggest moments, and he’ll put points on the board.

“You have to be around him to appreciate the competitive mentality he has. He’s in such a good place,” Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said of Smith. “He believes so strongly that it’s going to happen and it’s gonna get done, and his guys are going to come through for him. And that belief transfers, it translates to other guys, and they feel it.”

Not going to lie, that belief wasn’t so strong for the person penning this column after Smith’s first half Sunday. After Geno threw for just 69 yards in those first two quarters — which featured a couple of conspicuous misfires — I took to X to ask if Lock should start the second half with the Seahawks down 10-3. Nearly 60% of the respondents said yes, and given how a loss could have cost Seattle a chance at the playoffs, it seemed like a fair question.

Smith took the Seahawks to the Titans’ 9 on the first possession of the third quarter before Jason Myers drilled a field goal. One possession later, Smith led a 96-yard touchdown drive — Seattle’s longest of the season.

Oh, and good luck predicting who Smith was going to throw to. Three different Seahawks receivers — Tyler Lockett, Jaxon Smith-Njigba and DK Metcalf — had at least four catches and 56 receiving yards. But it was Smith’s final toss — a 5-yard TD pass to tight end Colby Parkinson — that put Seattle in a position to control its playoff narrative.

The setup: After the Titans (5-10) took a four-point lead on a 75-yard touchdown drive, the Seahawks offense took the field with 3:21 to play. Two plays later, Seattle (8-7) faced a third-and-six, but moved the chains after Smith hooked up with Lockett on a 7-yard completion.

Two plays later, another third down. But this one required 14 yards for a first. No problem.

Smith hit Smith-Njigba in stride for an 18-yard gain.

This was the most commanding the Seahawks had looked all afternoon. And after two more completions — one to Lockett and another to Smith-Njigba — Geno chucked one to Metcalf, who drew a pass-interference flag that moved the ball to Tennessee’s 5.

Two plays later — with 57 seconds left — Smith connected with Parkinson in the end zone and potentially saved Seattle’s season. Two more wins, and the Seahawks are a lock for the playoffs.

What can you say about your mentality in these clutch situations? Smith was asked.

“It’s the preparation,” said Smith, who finished the day 25 of 36 for 227 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions. “Coach prepares us for these opportunities, for these moments in the VMAC. Every single day we go over two-minute, a bunch of different situations and scenarios. It helps when you get out there on the field, you’re used to it. You know what to do.”

That was Smith being humble. Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner characterized Smith’s late-game composure more directly.

“It’s just amazing to watch,” Wagner said. “The biggest thing with Geno is just his poise, his poise when the pocket collapses to not panic, get the ball out, put it in playmakers’ hands and make plays.”

He makes plays all right. Maybe not always when the Seahawks want him to. But when they need him to? There are few better in the NFL.
dt

trharder

Post by trharder » Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:57 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:23 pm
thanks.
So, are we back in love with Geno? Or just woke ST writers?

seattlefan-daBronx

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:23 pm

trharder wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:57 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:23 pm
thanks.
So, are we back in love with Geno? Or just woke ST writers?
Just the writers. :D
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:45 pm

They both played against the 49ers this year. Tell me which one is CLEARLY better?

22 of 31 269 yards 2 TDs and 2 INTs. Lost 16 - 28
18 of 27 180 yards 0 TDs and 1 INTs. Lost 13 to 31

The last game each started?

22 of 33 208 yards 1 TD and 0 INTs. Won 20 - 17
25 of 36 227 yards 2 TDs and 0 INTs. Won 20 - 17

The stats on the top of both of those are Drew Lock. I am not sure why anyone would say that the guy on the bottom is CLEARLY better.

44 of 64 477 3 TDs and 2 INTs. 1 and 1 record. The loss being to the 49ers. Beat the team that at the time was the #1 seed in the NFC
43 of 63 407 2 TDs and 1 INT. 1 and 1 record. The loss being to the 49ers. Beat the team that the week before had been eliminated from the playoffs.

CLEARLY better. SMH. Neither of them will be much of an issue to cut, and more than likely they should both be gone. My guess is one is back, and it will be Geno. That's how Pete wants it, so that is why the local press reports this way. Not facts but need to kiss the ring.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:49 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:45 pm

That's how Pete wants it, so that is why the local press reports this way. Not facts but need to kiss the ring.
True this, and i hate it with the passion of a thousand scorned lovers. this is the same reason why Mariners' spendthrift ownership will never have to change their ways, because there is simply no accountability to anyone but their privately-owned stockholders.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:19 pm

57reasons wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:49 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:45 pm

That's how Pete wants it, so that is why the local press reports this way. Not facts but need to kiss the ring.
True this, and i hate it with the passion of a thousand scorned lovers. this is the same reason why Mariners' spendthrift ownership will never have to change their ways, because there is simply no accountability to anyone but their privately-owned stockholders.
I've been saying that for years. Hell, I don't remember all that much hate spewed towards Clay Bennett and that dickhead Starbucks prick for costing us the Sonics. The local media could make a War Criminal feel at ease.

Lamda

Post by Lamda » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:14 pm

trharder wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:13 pm
Matt Calkins -
"Sunday afternoon in Tennessee, the Seahawks quarterback proved how much better his team is with him behind center. In that 20-17 win over the Titans, Smith cemented his status as one of the more clutch signal callers in the league. "

That sentence is literally near the top of his ST article. I mean, I'm under no delusion that Lock is better, but WTF.
Any comparison between Geno and Lock ignores the real problem - Neither is better than a decent backup.
This is what a lot of us have been saying for a while - its blatantly obvious that Geno is not the QB to lead us to the SB - he's an average QB that plays an average game - as you say - he's a competent backup. He's been given the reigns this long because Pete is in the last few years of his coaching career and he was hoping for some sort of cinderella story where nice QB with a good story wins it all. Nothing against Geno - he is a good guy with a good story but he's just not an elite level QB that will win the SB. They keep trying to draft defense to recreate the Legion to make it easier for them to do it but its like all our defensive schemes under Pete have been seen already and don't fool anybody so we haven't had a shutdown D since Sherm left. Time for Pete and Geno to go and get some new blood in.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:19 pm

If there was parlay on Geno being a starter and RW being a back up the last weekend of 2023 and you made the bet right right before the big trade you probably could have made about a Billion dollars on a $20 bet.
dt