Kick Geno to the curb???

Donn Beach

Re: Kick Geno to the curb???

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:03 am

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:36 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:26 am
Sure, if it doesn't fit the narrative then it's got to be he's lying.

If JS was being treated like that, being overruled, not allowed to build his roster the way he wanted why did he bother hanging around? He would have been a a popular candidate for an opening where he could build his roster as he pleased. But no, he spends 13 years being told what to do by PC

Basically it comes down to trust, John was in charge of personal and Pete trusted his judgment
That's why they work so good together is because Pete may have the final say, but at the end of the day, he's going to trust John and know that [Schneider has] obviously ... done the legwork on guys when it comes to the draft and free agency," said Dan Morgan, who was Seattle's pro personnel director before becoming the Bills' director of player personnel in 2018. "It's just kind of throwing the egos to the side and trusting who you work with."
Ever listen to the news conferences? John was enthusiastic with the choices as Pete. Jamal Adams, he doesn't like the narrative
Yeah, I'm getting a little tired of the (narrative). The trade portion, too," Schneider said on Seattle Sports. "Because, you know, it was a COVID year, we were picking 20-whatever and in order to go from wherever we were at 20 to get up to pick a guy like Jamal who was picked in the top five, you gotta give up another first-round pick the next year. He came in here, our coaches did a great job with him. He had 9.5 sacks, goes to the Pro Bowl, completely disruptive. Comes back the next year, he's having a good season, gets hurt. Then he gets hurt again - a really, really bad injury. I feel bad for him.

"Now, are there things that we would've liked to have handled differently with him? Yes. Are there things I'm sure he would've liked to have handled differently? Absolutely. But, yeah, that narrative is not cool."
One got promoted and the other fired. But, you do you Donn.
Yeah, one of them had their defense continually collapse
Last edited by Donn Beach on Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:24 am

D-train wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:56 am
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:43 am
The thing is, Adams wasn't really all that good that first season here, despite the 9.5 sacks and he had character/personality issues. If JS was in favor of paying him like he was one of the great safeties in NFL history that doesn't bode well for the future.
Hopefully they have come to their senses with idiotic trades just like they have with drafting.
JS speaking to learning from his mistakes with the draft.
“Yeah… I think I talked about it before – the lessons you learn along the way,” he said, when I asked if 2022 felt like 2010 through 2012 all over again. “I’m Catholic, so I beat myself up a little bit. The mistakes I’ve made, and why. Comparing players, and purely drafting for need. Some of the background information we had on players from a confidence standpoint or a swagger standpoint weren’t necessarily able to compete with the Richard Shermans and the Kam Chancellors and the Bobby Wagners and the K.J.s [Wright]. Earl Thomas, you know what I mean? We knew we had to do a little better job in that regard [like] in 2010, ’11, ’12, picking players and building this thing. Not to sound weird or anything, but we were a damn good football team for a number of years. I heard [former NFL quarterback] Brady Quinn talking the other day where we had like 23 guys not make our team that went and played for other teams.”

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:55 am

D-train wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:30 pm
MM on Sam

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/se ... competitor
Well that's a little more straight forward
"We'll see what Ryan [Grubb] thinks and what's the right split. Geno is going to go into camp, he's the starter, really excited about that. But obviously Sam needs a lot of reps as well... We'll figure out the right mix.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:34 am

Occured to me that people are hung up on pete having final say on roster decisions. That's something he insisted on to return to the NFL, that he had that protection. He didn't want to be GM, he didn't want to spend his time building rosters. But he also didn't want players forced on him. He wanted control over the roster in that regard. But that didn't mean he was forcing players on JS. That's the narrative I don't buy

The one player I understand Pete really did want was Lynch. He apparently nagged JS to keep calling until he finally got a trade done. The player for JS was RW. JS sold Pete on the idea of RW being a NFL QB and using the draft pick on him even though they had just signed a QB to be the starter

It was their roster and they went about agreeing to the players to put on it. I don't see why that seems so Far-fetched. You bury egos, you respect each other's opinions, trust their abilities. You build a roster you both agree on

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:53 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:24 am
D-train wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:56 am
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:43 am
The thing is, Adams wasn't really all that good that first season here, despite the 9.5 sacks and he had character/personality issues. If JS was in favor of paying him like he was one of the great safeties in NFL history that doesn't bode well for the future.
Hopefully they have come to their senses with idiotic trades just like they have with drafting.
JS speaking to learning from his mistakes with the draft.
“Yeah… I think I talked about it before – the lessons you learn along the way,” he said, when I asked if 2022 felt like 2010 through 2012 all over again. “I’m Catholic, so I beat myself up a little bit. The mistakes I’ve made, and why. Comparing players, and purely drafting for need. Some of the background information we had on players from a confidence standpoint or a swagger standpoint weren’t necessarily able to compete with the Richard Shermans and the Kam Chancellors and the Bobby Wagners and the K.J.s [Wright]. Earl Thomas, you know what I mean? We knew we had to do a little better job in that regard [like] in 2010, ’11, ’12, picking players and building this thing. Not to sound weird or anything, but we were a damn good football team for a number of years. I heard [former NFL quarterback] Brady Quinn talking the other day where we had like 23 guys not make our team that went and played for other teams.”
Started with humility and end with a humble brag.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:26 am

It's an interesting comment, typical JS as apposed to typical Dipoto.
Comparing players, and purely drafting for need.
That's interesting, he really did have a draft for need approach, it's what gets you a CJ Collier. It wasn't so much trying to be smarter than everyone else. It was ignoring everyone else

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:57 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:26 am
That's interesting, he really did have a draft for need approach, it's what gets you a CJ Collier. It wasn't so much trying to be smarter than everyone else. It was ignoring everyone else
It makes more sense in the NFL than MLB but still dumb unless you do it in the latter rounds. Have to give JD credit for drafting the three HS hitters in the first round when the need was pitching. Hopefully it pans out. Emerson seems like a lock. Sweetest LH swing I have seen since Griffey.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:14 pm

dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:19 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:57 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:26 am
It makes more sense in the NFL than MLB but still dumb unless you do it in the latter rounds. Have to give JD credit for drafting the three HS hitters in the first round when the need was pitching. Hopefully it pans out. Emerson seems like a lock. Sweetest LH swing I have seen since Griffey.
Drafting guys like LJ Collier is THE REASON you don't draft for need. Germain Ifedi? Donn can bang the drum all he wants about why Pete is out. Not sure who he thinks he is arguing about with the defense stinking. That has been a topic of discussion around here for years. But the defense stunk last year and the year before. Pete's gone because he wasn't going to change anything. Literarily blamed youth for losing last year but spoke for a couple of years about needing to get younger!

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:49 pm

Not arguing with anybody, just stating my opinion. The defense wouldn't have had to have been stellar, just decent. That gets him to the playoffs and he's not fired. It wasn't that his defenses weren't very good, they were terrible, awful, approaching the worst in the league. The offense wasn't great but they weren't terrible. How he allowed the defense to get so bad seems remarkable to me. The defensive guru that can't field a defense.