Kick Geno to the curb???

D-train

Re: Kick Geno to the curb???

Post by D-train » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:56 pm

I love the Howell trade. If we are under .500 mid season I bet he takes over...
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:10 pm

Perhaps 2026 is the target year:
dt

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:07 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:10 pm
Perhaps 2026 is the target year:
Just comparing cap space numbers in a vacuum is pretty meaningless - all you can decipher from that high figure is that the team has great flexibility for roster change. but do you have any players under contract? last i knew unused cap space doesnt block or tackle very well or score any touchdowns. About the only players you can count on being under contract for 26 (if still wanted) are the draft classes of 23, 24, 25 and 26 - 75% of whom is TBD as yet. Yes i like the '23 class from early returns, but that's only 25% of it.

This the NFL, as players call it, the "Not For Long" league. I dont think Jody, JS and MM are hyperfocused on 26 with two seasons to play before that - more likely 25 is the real target and this is the build/rebuild year.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:24 pm

Even with Geno as the starting QB next season the offense can be near the top of the league if they will fix the guard situation. The RBs could be scary with some blocking, and that would force teams to bring up their safeties more thereby opening things up for the 3 Amigos.

On the other hand, the D is going to struggle mightily unless Old MacDonald and Tyler Durden can work some magic.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:24 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:24 pm
Even with Geno as the starting QB next season the offense can be near the top of the league if they will fix the guard situation. The RBs could be scary with some blocking, and that would force teams to bring up their safeties more thereby opening things up for the 3 Amigos.

On the other hand, the D is going to struggle mightily unless Old MacDonald and Tyler Durden can work some magic.
I agree. I really think this is a step back year. Hell, they might still win in the 7 to 9 game range, but have it be the right decision as we will be much more flexible in what we can do next off season. Again, I imagine MacDonald was pretty shocked at what we had here in terms of salary allocation to certain roster positions, and what we were left with in draft capital. Not saying he took the job blindly, but my guess is he doesn't have any grand plans of making a deep playoff run this year.

I honestly think I will enjoy watching this year a ton more, and we will probably win less. It was so fucking hard to watch us do the same shit year in and year out and expect a different result, that I just couldn't stand it. I watched bits and pieces of the Steeler game. I was never more happy that I was out and about with my wife and in-laws. What I saw was dreadful. This idea that we didn't have a game plan to stop the run of THAT team? Pete's complete and total fear or being beaten with a big play only ensured that he would be beaten, just a lot more slowly. What team would actually knowingly create a defensive game plan that would purposefully allow the other team to eat up clock on repeated ten and fifteen play drives?

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:38 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:24 pm

I agree. I really think this is a step back year. Hell, they might still win in the 7 to 9 game range, but have it be the right decision as we will be much more flexible in what we can do next off season. Again, I imagine MacDonald was pretty shocked at what we had here in terms of salary allocation to certain roster positions, and what we were left with in draft capital. Not saying he took the job blindly, but my guess is he doesn't have any grand plans of making a deep playoff run this year.

I honestly think I will enjoy watching this year a ton more, and we will probably win less. It was so fucking hard to watch us do the same shit year in and year out and expect a different result, that I just couldn't stand it. I watched bits and pieces of the Steeler game. I was never more happy that I was out and about with my wife and in-laws. What I saw was dreadful. This idea that we didn't have a game plan to stop the run of THAT team? Pete's complete and total fear or being beaten with a big play only ensured that he would be beaten, just a lot more slowly. What team would actually knowingly create a defensive game plan that would purposefully allow the other team to eat up clock on repeated ten and fifteen play drives?
The bizarre thing is that his wet dream would be to have HIS offense do that yet he willfully just let opposing offenses do just that! lol
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:49 pm

For all he did well, and all he did for this organization. By the end I could barely even enjoy watching this team. His style was just not going to work anymore. It will be interesting following this, knowing that he still wants to coach. I am curious how often he will even be rumored to be in line for a job.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:29 pm

You really think McDonald didn't know who they had under contract and for how much? Pete didn't get fired because of personal decisions. They were as much JS as they were his. It was JSs team as it was Pete's. He didn't get fired for his offense. He got fired because his defense stunk. Everything thing about Pete's system was defense and it absolutely stunk. That's why they hired a guy to fix it

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:18 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:38 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:24 pm

The bizarre thing is that his wet dream would be to have HIS offense do that yet he willfully just let opposing offenses do just that! lol
He was obsessed with turnovers and "controlling the ball" so perhaps he thought that allowing opponents to put together long drives with lots of short gains gave the Seahawks a better chance to "take away the ball". Wouldn't surprise me if that was his thought process, with no consideration given to the demoralizing aspect of having your offense on the sideline most of the game.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:07 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:29 pm
You really think McDonald didn't know who they had under contract and for how much? Pete didn't get fired because of personal decisions. They were as much JS as they were his. It was JSs team as it was Pete's. He didn't get fired for his offense. He got fired because his defense stunk. Everything thing about Pete's system was defense and it absolutely stunk. That's why they hired a guy to fix it
Did you read the part where I said "not that I think he took the job blindly"? Sure he knew the roster. I scan still imagine him shaking his head when he and JS were talking about moves to make and JS informed him that his top five paid players are Safeties and WRs! Yes, I realize that is a strawman, but I do believe five of our top ten paid players are Safeties and WRs. Throw in a below average TE!?

You can believe what you want about why Pete got fired. Yep, his defense stunk. Why do you think I mentioned how ridiculous it is to have a game plan that allows the other team to slowly kill your with long drawn out drives?

And again, maybe things work differently where you ahve worked in your lifetime, but PC was JS's boss. Please stop with this bullshit that Pete didn't have final say in decision making. Pete is THE reason we paid players from the back end forward on defense. He is THE reason we played that soft ass defense that never forced a punt and thought that tackles after the sticks were a win because it was an explosive play. He is THE reason our offense was disgusting to watch...his fingerprints were all over every OC we had here. The guy, by YOUR OWN WORDS, was where the buck stopped. Take it up with Pete. Well? They did.