Kick Geno to the curb???

gil

Re: Kick Geno to the curb???

Post by gil » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:52 pm

I'm on the side of cutting Geno at whatever time makes the most financial sense to the team.

Am I correct in noting that 7 of the 8 teams playing this weekend are starting a QB who was a first rounds choice. 49ers the exception.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:04 pm

gil wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:52 pm
I'm on the side of cutting Geno at whatever time makes the most financial sense to the team.

Am I correct in noting that 7 of the 8 teams playing this weekend are starting a QB who was a first rounds choice. 49ers the exception.
Bills: Allen 7th
Chiefs: Mahomes 10th
Lions: Goff 1st
TB: Mayfield 1st
Packers: Love 26th
Texans: Stroud 3rd
Ravens: Jackson 32rd
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:05 pm

What is the lowdown on Drake Maye? I know we can't get any of the top three but I know nothing about him. Is there a current comp for him? Geno Smith? LOL
dt

trharder

Post by trharder » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:45 am

My take:
I don't know how a person can watch Lamar, Josh Allen and Mahomes and think we have anything but
half a QB with Geno.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:19 pm

JJ McCarthy?!?!?!
dt

douche

Post by douche » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:33 pm

trharder wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:45 am
My take:
I don't know how a person can watch Lamar, Josh Allen and Mahomes and think we have anything but
half a QB with Geno.
Agreed, but how many Lamar Jacksons are actually out there? And what are the odds of finding one? I know I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know, but the QBs that you mentioned are not a dime a dozen. Far from it.

It's always amazed me to think that out of 32 starting QBs in this league, half of them aren't any good. And out of the remaining 16, perhaps 8 are okay, 4 are quite good and 4 are elite.

The QB business is a tricky one.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:15 pm

douche wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:33 pm
trharder wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:45 am
My take:
half a QB with Geno.
Agreed, but how many Lamar Jacksons are actually out there? And what are the odds of finding one? I know I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know, but the QBs that you mentioned are not a dime a dozen. Far from it.

It's always amazed me to think that out of 32 starting QBs in this league, half of them aren't any good. And out of the remaining 16, perhaps 8 are okay, 4 are quite good and 4 are elite.

The QB business is a tricky one.
What amazes me is recency bias. Lamar had one playoff win coming into this season! Josh Allen can't beat KC. Acting like those are the only three options is crazy. Purdy has as many Championship game wins as either Lamar or Allen! The problem is, if you are going to pay the guy, he better be the guy. Russ wasn't. Geno's contract didn't restrict us from signing anyone else. Not only did Russ go for as much money as he possibly could, he then bitched about the way the rest of the money was spent. Let's hold off and see how things work out for KC, but a lot of these guys that got paid had a short window to win, and then the cap issues happened. Pat has no weapons. The Bengals went from everyone's favorite to a team that was eliminated early. And no, that wasn't after Joe Cool's injury. They were pretty shitty most of the year.

Our problem has been that we haven't really had the ability to get a QB. Not that we haven't tried. I would have loved it if we did all we could to move up for Stroud once the Panthers made assess of themselves and drafted Young. But I don't know that it was an option with the capital we had. Otherwise? The mistake was not drafting Lamar. That is a hindsight call, because I am not sure anyone would have been thrilled with us taking Lamar when we had Russ. I HATED that we drafted Penny, but not necessarily because we passed on Lamar. I was usually more focused on Nick Chubb and Shaq Leanard...Fred Warner. But none of those guys played positions of need. Sure, I don't like drafting for need...and the guys taken after Penny besides them are rather blah.

In hindsight? The QB problem is solved in 2018 if they draft Lamar. BUT, I don't know many people that felt like the next franchise QB was an issue for us then. And who knows, we might have tried everything possible to move up for CJ.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:48 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:05 pm
What is the lowdown on Drake Maye? I know we can't get any of the top three but I know nothing about him. Is there a current comp for him? Geno Smith? LOL
Maye is one of those top 3 - maybe even first.

I'd love any of the top 3 QBs in Caleb, Drake and JD, so was most disappointed to see Kiper's release his first mock with them going 1-2-3 overall.

douche

Post by douche » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:33 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:15 pm
What amazes me is recency bias. Lamar had one playoff win coming into this season! Josh Allen can't beat KC. Acting like those are the only three options is crazy. Purdy has as many Championship game wins as either Lamar or Allen!
Agreed. But one has to consider the team. SF is stacked. BUF is pretty solid as is BAL now. The problem with QBs is that they are assigned a lot of responsibility when it comes to wins or losses (and they should be). But it doesn't always tell the entire story.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:59 am

douche wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:33 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:15 pm
What amazes me is recency bias. Lamar had one playoff win coming into this season! Josh Allen can't beat KC. Acting like those are the only three options is crazy. Purdy has as many Championship game wins as either Lamar or Allen!
Agreed. But one has to consider the team. SF is stacked. BUF is pretty solid as is BAL now. The problem with QBs is that they are assigned a lot of responsibility when it comes to wins or losses (and they should be). But it doesn't always tell the entire story.
We have two young high draft picks at OT
We have two very talented RBs
We have three extremely talented WRs
We have a stable of TEs that this FO went after

We also have one of the most unimaginative offenses I've ever watched. ZERO clue how to use the skills of the two RBs we used second round picks on, then complains that they play a style that he doesn't want. Hey grampa, you fucking drafted them!?

We have a very talented CB group.
I think Love is an above average Safety
Wagner is an All Pro and Brooks is a fucking LB that we had to use a first round pick on
We traded for one of the best Interior D Lineman in the game, traded for one they loved last year and added back J Reed this year.

Acting like there is zero talent on this team is justifying Pete Carroll's excuse making bullshit. Why did Adams not work out? Why did Diggs seem to regress? Why did Woolen regress? Why did Brooks never amount to anything close to a first round pick? Why is it a revolving fucking door at Edge?

Lamar wasn't taking this team to the Super Bowl, but it's not because there wasn't talent. It's because the scheme is horseshit. Part of me hopes Pete does get another Head Coaching job so I can hear all the excuses all over again when he takes over the Chargers job and they still suck. The dude needs to step back, the game has passed him by. You don't play two deep bail coverage, hoping the QB will make a mistake. Watching our corners turn and run is an embarrassment, and listening to him last year blame the corners was even more embarrassing. Watching us "disguise" a blitz is a joke. We have had two very good drafts in a row because we finally stopped reaching, and Pete blames young guys for why we lose. I forget, who had the youngest and most talented team in the league in 2013 and 2014? Oh wait, we did. Man, too bad we weren't a little more veteran in those years!