Official NFL Mock Draft Simulator Thread - Post Your Mock Drafts!

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: Official NFL Mock Draft Simulator Thread - Post Your Mock Drafts!

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:08 pm

After all the free agent activity i would rank their needs by position as follows...

1. inside LB
2. nose tackle
3. guard
4. safety
5. tackle
6. cornerback
7. center
8. tight end

You might disagree on NT, but to me Reed is not an adequate 3-4 NT. Unless they are going back to a primarily 4-3 front with Reed and Williams in the middle, they need to get a bigger body in there.
Typical 3–4 nose tackles are "big wide bodies who can hold the point of attack and force double teams by the guard and center".[3] They are usually the heaviest players on the roster, with weights ranging from 320 to 350 pounds (145 to 159 kg). A specific height is critical, as they are supposed to get "under" the offensive line; ideal 3–4 nose tackles are no taller than 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m).[3] Recent examples of such nose tackles include Gilbert Brown, Jamal Williams, Vince Wilfork, and Damon Harrison. Rather uncommon are taller nose tackles, such as Bobby Brown III who is 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m), and Ted Washington and Ma'ake Kemoeatu, each of whom was 6 ft 5 in (1.96 m) tall and has won Super Bowl rings. Current notable examples of nose tackles include Dexter Lawrence and Vita Vea.

In some 4–3 defenses, the nose tackle is one of two defensive tackles. Some teams, especially in the NFL, have a nose tackle in the 4–3 defense, which lines up against the opposing center and very likely the weak-side or pulling guard. In a 4–3 defense, nose tackles are rather quick and supposed to "shoot the 'A gap' and beat the center and very likely the weak-side or pulling guard into the backfield."[3] Height is not as important, and their weight is closer to 300 pounds (136 kg).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensive_tackle

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:19 pm

It's going to be primarily 3-4 isn't it

The Ravens scheme under Mike Macdonald is primarily a two-high safety defensive scheme (frequently with a “big nickel” safety rather than a corner) playing primarily a 3-4 base and a 4-2 Nickel. Lots of zone coverage, lots of simulated pressures.

The base is just normal 3-4 stuff(or 4-3 Under depending on who their edge they have in is). There will be a two-gap guy, or whatever as needed to steal back a gap to play a two-deep safety structure. They seem to prefer to play a 3-4 against two-back looks, and to stay with Big Nickel in a 4-2 structure against two tight end personnel.

Their Nickel defense is primarily a 4-2 structure (again, Big Nickel), pretty normal stuff beyond that they seem to always have a Nose Tackle style player on the field, typically at a 2i technique on the weakside which is interesting from a run defense pass/rush standpoint.

Their alignments in pass rush situations is where things get interesting- they stick with the 4-2 structure, and are generally rushing 4, but there’s lots of very aggressive looking alignments. They’ve got no problems moving their LBs away from the gaps, mugging both of them, running overloads to one side or the other… and then bringing generally four regardless. Sometimes they get into zone blitz stuff with it, dropping out an edge, etc.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:25 pm

Seahawks checking in with Johnathan Hankins

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/se ... -sign-move

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:25 pm

So you would agree that NT is high in their list of needs?

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:04 pm

PFN_Draft_result_1710608433669.png

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:19 pm

I'm no expert, his guy doesn't list it
The Seahawks currently have holes at interior OL, tight end, linebacker, and safety. Depending on what happens with Williams, we might have to add interior DL to the list
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2024/3/10/24 ... l-analysis

Stanton doesn't seem to indicate it, again Williams seems to solve the issue
I had no problem with the decision to spend big on Leonard Williams. I think he’s a really good player — the type they’ve been trying to find for years. The deal is for three seasons and given the success Mike Macdonald had with Justin Madubuike, I’m fascinated to see what Williams can achieve under the new Head Coach.

Let’s put it this way — give me a player like Williams over the inflated prices being handed out to the guards listed above.

When you put this with the investment in Dre’Mont Jones and Jarran Reed, plus what they’ve spent on the edges in salary (Uchenna Nwosu) and second round picks (Mafe, Hall, Taylor) — this is genuine investment up front.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:03 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:19 pm
I'm no expert, his guy doesn't list it
The Seahawks currently have holes at interior OL, tight end, linebacker, and safety. Depending on what happens with Williams, we might have to add interior DL to the list
That had to have been written before they signed Pharaoh Brown and Rayshawn Jenkins.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:35 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:19 pm
Stanton doesn't seem to indicate it, again Williams seems to solve the issue
I had no problem with the decision to spend big on Leonard Williams. I think he’s a really good player — the type they’ve been trying to find for years. The deal is for three seasons and given the success Mike Macdonald had with Justin Madubuike, I’m fascinated to see what Williams can achieve under the new Head Coach.

Let’s put it this way — give me a player like Williams over the inflated prices being handed out to the guards listed above.

When you put this with the investment in Dre’Mont Jones and Jarran Reed, plus what they’ve spent on the edges in salary (Uchenna Nwosu) and second round picks (Mafe, Hall, Taylor) — this is genuine investment up front.
So Williams is slotted for NT? I thought Reed was or did they slide him over when Williams joined the team? Or did they rotate at the position? (I didn't follow things too closely over the 2nd half of the season).

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:05 am

Think Williams is seen as multi positional. It be more handing McDonald the pieces and his figuring out combinations. Seems like in terms of holes. I don't see a big concern with nose tackle among the bloggers.

Stanton's article is kinda interesting, off season so far. Seems pretty happy with it

https://seahawksdraftblog.com/everythin ... ncy-so-far

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:33 am

NT is a need. Williams is not that.

Trading back, adding a second, and adding Sweat would seem like the correct move.

Some dingus suggested we trade up to 12 to Latu and give away both our 3rd and 4th round picks... meaning that we wouldn't draft until the 4th round after our 1st pick at the 12 spot.

People do not think...