Trade down
55%

Total votes: 20

Seattle or Bust

Re: Our first round pick poll

Post by Seattle or Bust » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:44 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:28 pm
Maybe NFL teams should hire fans to pick the QBs and they wouldn't have so many busts. There sure have been a lot lately.

Rosen
Daniel Jones
Trey Lance
Bryce Young
Josh Fields
Manziel
Trubisky
Darnold
Zach Wilson
If the draft has taught us anything recently... it's draft the guy with elite physical traits or elite arm who needs some refining.

Mahomes, Allen, Love, Lamar, Herbert, Watson, Stroud...

Do not draft safe. Ya, you might still miss... but follow the trend.

Jones was tailor made to be a bust... mediocre arm, limited athleticism. Young was too small and arm too weak. Fields is not an adept thrower. Manziel was too small and a imature. Trubisky... same as Jones. Darnold was just overrated, never that good. Wilson the same as Manziel.

Only guy who fits the description of the QB's listed above was Lance. Perhaps drafting out of division 2 isn't the move.

Only guy who fits the traditional, old school QB mold who has been successful of late is Burrow.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:58 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:44 pm
D-train wrote:
Maybe NFL teams should hire fans to pick the QBs and they wouldn't have so many busts. There sure have been a lot lately.

Rosen
Daniel Jones
Trey Lance
Bryce Young
Josh Fields
Manziel
Trubisky
Darnold
Zach Wilson
If the draft has taught us anything recently... it's draft the guy with elite physical traits or elite arm who needs some refining.

Jones was tailor made to be a bust... mediocre arm, limited athleticism. Young was too small and arm too weak. Fields is not an adept thrower. Manziel was too small and a imature. Trubisky... same as Jones. Darnold was just overrated, never that good. Wilson the same as Manziel.

Only guy who fits the description of the QB's listed above was Lance. Perhaps drafting out of division 2 isn't the move.

Only guy who fits the traditional, old school QB mold who has been successful of late is Burrow.
Do you think this year's big three fit the Mahomes, Allen et al mold? Thanks.
dt

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:04 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:58 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:44 pm
D-train wrote:

Rosen
Daniel Jones
Trey Lance
Bryce Young
Josh Fields
Manziel
Trubisky
Darnold
Zach Wilson

Do you think this year's big three fit the Mahomes, Allen et al mold? Thanks.
Caleb Williams for sure. Although I don't love the offense he played in at SC. Lots of improvising... little pocket play. But if the Hawks had the no. 1 pick, I'd take him. To me, he's a little more athletic Mahomes.

Drake Maye reminds me of a guy the Giants or Washington would take who will bust.

Jayden Daniels is the enigma for me. He's not quite Lamar Jackson as a runner because he's not a muscular guy who can take hits... he beats you with speed, but at the QB position I'm not sure that works in the NFL. He's got a long, sleight frame and I don't buy the reported weights he's coming in at. His arm strength is questionable... and he played in an offense that really inflated his stats. To me, he's Dennis Dixon... which isn't necessarily a great thing.

210 lbs... my ass. "Daniels was one of only two players who declined to have his height and weight measured at the NFL combine." - The Athletic.

I'm amazed there's not more talk about the Hawks taking Penix given that Ryan Grubb is the Hawks OC... I don't see why he can't be a better Tua.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:36 pm

I think Drake Maye will perform more similarly to Trevor Lawerance or Geno Smith. He will have his moments but he isn't going to be the guy most people expect him to develop into.

What I think many miss with JJ is how great his timing is when hitting WRs coming out of their break. And how good he is operating in play action. His game will play on Sundays. But he might be a little better version of Brock Purdy is all.

I've said it before and I will say it again, the 2nd best QB in college football decommitted from the draft and will play for the Miami Hurricanes this coming year. I would do everything possible to draft Cameron Ward next year.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:56 am

Cascade Kid wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:36 pm
I think Drake Maye will perform more similarly to Trevor Lawerance or Geno Smith. He will have his moments but he isn't going to be the guy most people expect him to develop into.

What I think many miss with JJ is how great his timing is when hitting WRs coming out of their break. And how good he is operating in play action. His game will play on Sundays. But he might be a little better version of Brock Purdy is all.

I've said it before and I will say it again, the 2nd best QB in college football decommitted from the draft and will play for the Miami Hurricanes this coming year. I would do everything possible to draft Cameron Ward next year.
Well when you play in a rush, rush, pass offense that never fails ofc you're gonna be good at play action. I imagine it's rather easy to pass in those situations when other teams are just flat out stacking the box or run blitzing.

McCarthy was 7 for 8 for 60 yards in their win against Penn St.

That game alone is enough for me to say no fkn thank you on drafting him. Michigan didn't trust him to throw the football in a college game... I mean c'mon, what are we doing here?

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:42 am

Pretty striking comparison:

JJ had less attempts per game than Penix had completions per game in 2023.

JJ 16-22
Penix 24-37
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:43 am

And the Huskies had a pretty damn good RB.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:10 pm

dt

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:08 am

D-train wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:42 am
Pretty striking comparison:

JJ had less attempts per game than Penix had completions per game in 2023.

JJ 16-22
Penix 24-37
There's also a striking comparison in their completion percentages.

JJ turned 21 in January. There's a lot of upside to like with him. Not so much for the 6 year Penix.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:51 pm

Where were we talking about taking a guard in the first round, and Fautanu? Bumpus thinks they should take Fautanu with the 16th pick and use him as a guard
“The Hawks will have one of the youngest offensive lines and they’re gonna draft Troy Fautanu with that No. 16 pick, for sure,” Bumpus said.