2024 Combine thread

D-train

Re: 2024 Combine thread

Post by D-train » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:30 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:48 pm
Pretty wild
"There were times when I'd wake up the day of the game and I'd wait until my roommate leaves, and I'd just lie on the floor, and I'd just cry to God, just praying that he'd protect me that day because I knew where my head was at at the time, and it wasn't truly fresh," Penix said, adding that there were "a lot of tears."
I guess there could be structural issues that even playing a couple of injury free seasons doesn't nesssarily allay
. Penix tore the ACL in his right knee twice during his college career, which raises some red flags about whether he’s going to stay healthy, but Penix told ESPN that he had a checkup with Dr. Neal S. ElAttrache, the renowned orthopedic surgeon, and that ElAttrache is telling NFL teams that the knee is not a concern.
With Kyle Lewis he had several setbacks and related occurrences of the same knee issues. He didn't even come remotely close to two full injury free seasons.
dt

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:15 pm

Two words: Mark Brunell.

Those of us who remember Brunell understood that he had knee problems his last two seasons as a Husky QB. He was replaced by talented Billy Joe Who during those years until Who was suspended from the team for being a dumb shit. In any case, Brunell went on to a rather good, if not great NFL career, playing for Green Bay, Jacksonville, Washington, Jets and New Orleans in a career that spanned 16 years. Football Nation ranked Brunell the twenty-ninth best quarterback of the post-merger era.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:43 pm

ddraig wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:15 pm
Two words: Mark Brunell.

Those of us who remember Brunell understood that he had knee problems his last two seasons as a Husky QB. He was replaced by talented Billy Joe Who during those years until Who was suspended from the team for being a dumb shit. In any case, Brunell went on to a rather good, if not great NFL career, playing for Green Bay, Jacksonville, Washington, Jets and New Orleans in a career that spanned 16 years. Football Nation ranked Brunell the twenty-ninth best quarterback of the post-merger era.
Great analogy and Brunell was injured late in his college career, not in October 2.5 years before he was draft.
dt

HawkandMariner88

Post by HawkandMariner88 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:48 am

I want more data on Rattler. If we can pluck Russell out of Wisconsin the 3rd, who's to say we can't repeat that this year. Don't know alot about him, just some under the radar guys no one is looking at for whatever reason. The main thing with Rattler is what, maturity? How does he fit athletically.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:35 am

D-train wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:28 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:26 pm
I heard a lot of buzz recently about how the Huskies have been amazing at keeping him clean, but the Michigan game scared a lot of people. He was pressured and he was bad. QBs don't stay clean in the NFL like the Huskies have done for Penix the past two years. That seems like a bigger fear to me than his injuries, but the injuries compound that.

I remember hearing the doubts about Reggie Williams back in the day. When he went up against NFL CBs while in college? He got shut down. They weren't wrong. Penix was flat out bad against Michigan. Rattled. Michigan was good, but that wasn't 11 NFL starters. I'd be worried about him if we draft him. I didn't even recognize him down the stretch this year. Chalked it up to an injury after the way he played against Texas....but the NC game knocked him down several pegs, IMO. How do you handle playing against the best, since you are going to be facing the best in the NFL.
Yeah exactly my thinking. That is a legit and serious concern but people are still obsessed with the age and injury nonsense.
You do have a point - if you can crowd the pocket so he's uncomfortable by only rushing 4, then he's less accurate - who isn't? But let's not pretend that he didnt face good defenses. Besides shredding the vaunted Texas front 7 that manhandled Bama, he flabbergasted a dominating Oregon team 3 times in 13 months, a squad that boasted good corners, safeties, and two 2nd round DEs in Dorlus and Burch. And their interior guys were good enough that the best DL from UW who transferred there two years ago (Taimani) was only a rotational sub in Eugene. Add to that Utah, Arizona, and the Beavers. You could argue that last one held him in check, but that was largely due to multiple drops in a horrific rainstorm.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:03 am

HawkandMariner88 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:48 am
I want more data on Rattler. If we can pluck Russell out of Wisconsin the 3rd, who's to say we can't repeat that this year. Don't know alot about him, just some under the radar guys no one is looking at for whatever reason. The main thing with Rattler is what, maturity? How does he fit athletically.
Sounds like another Drew Lock
"I actually like Rattler a lot and think he did a good job for South Carolina with little around him (with the exception of WR Xavier Legette)," said Wilson. "I'd take him in Round 3, but he may end up as a Day 3 guy. Really good arm, good athlete, but can force too many throws when trying to make plays late and oftentimes they result in turnovers."

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:51 am

I find it hilarious how JS and MM are both doing lingual gymnastics and contortion to just avoid committing to Geno being the starter. LOL
dt

douche

Post by douche » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:13 pm

The Brunell comment intrigued me. So I did a little digging.

Billy Joe Hobert was drafted sixty picks ahead of Brunell. He was the 3rd quarterback selected in the 1993 draft, behind Bledsoe and Rick Mirer. He essentially went nowhere and did nothing. As did Mirer.

Point being, Brunell was drafted behind Mirer and Hobert, yet ended up with a far more prolific career (3X Pro Bowler, he even won a SB with the Saints). One more example of why the QB thing is such a crapshoot, and why Schneider never expresses much interest in a first round QB. Too much risk, too little reward, in my opinion.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:35 pm

If I remember correctly, 1993 was the same year that the 49ers let Joe Montana go. I noticed that Brunell had a similar type of game as Montana and wanted the Hawks to sign Montana and then draft Brunell so Joe could teach him for a couple of years.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:43 pm

57reasons wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:35 am
D-train wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:28 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:26 pm
I heard a lot of buzz recently about how the Huskies have been amazing at keeping him clean, but the Michigan game scared a lot of people. He was pressured and he was bad. QBs don't stay clean in the NFL like the Huskies have done for Penix the past two years. That seems like a bigger fear to me than his injuries, but the injuries compound that.

I remember hearing the doubts about Reggie Williams back in the day. When he went up against NFL CBs while in college? He got shut down. They weren't wrong. Penix was flat out bad against Michigan. Rattled. Michigan was good, but that wasn't 11 NFL starters. I'd be worried about him if we draft him. I didn't even recognize him down the stretch this year. Chalked it up to an injury after the way he played against Texas....but the NC game knocked him down several pegs, IMO. How do you handle playing against the best, since you are going to be facing the best in the NFL.
Yeah exactly my thinking. That is a legit and serious concern but people are still obsessed with the age and injury nonsense.
You do have a point - if you can crowd the pocket so he's uncomfortable by only rushing 4, then he's less accurate - who isn't? But let's not pretend that he didnt face good defenses. Besides shredding the vaunted Texas front 7 that manhandled Bama, he flabbergasted a dominating Oregon team 3 times in 13 months, a squad that boasted good corners, safeties, and two 2nd round DEs in Dorlus and Burch. And their interior guys were good enough that the best DL from UW who transferred there two years ago (Taimani) was only a rotational sub in Eugene. Add to that Utah, Arizona, and the Beavers. You could argue that last one held him in check, but that was largely due to multiple drops in a horrific rainstorm.
Yeah he actually took a lot of pressure in the Texas game and was flawless. I remember commenting on it at the time.