Not rebuilding this year per JS

Donn Beach

Re: Not rebuilding this year per JS

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:38 pm

Yeah, he's referred to it himself, the early success, the reassessment.
"I think I talked about it before, the lessons you learn along the way," Schneider remarked. "I'm Catholic, so I beat myself up a little bit. The mistakes I've made, and why. Comparing players and purely drafting for need."
He is no Ron Wolf but the draft is a crapshoot, aren't a lot of GMs that nail it season after season

trharder

Post by trharder » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:20 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:24 pm
Well, since Carroll and Schneider saw eye to eye on every personnel decision and did nothing without coming to an agreement that it was the right move, he has to be held responsible for the high draft picks used on Eskridge, Brooks, Taylor, Collier, Blair, Penny, McDowell, and Michael. Not a great track record.
I think you're agreeing with me and not being sarcastic, but this is what I think. I hope Pete was behind most of the
bad calls, but then what sort of yes-man would that make JS? I think to some small degree, JS had to have thrown
Pete under the bus a little with Jody to stay in his position. I'm not saying I blame him if this is true.
Personally, I can't stand listening to JS, but that in no way means he's not good at his job. I'm rooting for him,
but I haven't crowned him like I see some fans doing on FB and X.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:25 am

Yep this is the year we find out if PC was JS's boat anchor or his flotation device. We shall see if he Sinks or Swims....
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:01 pm

The two things I really liked to give JS credit for was cap management and contract negotiations. Thought that was the nuts and bolts kind of stuff that made him a competent GM. Turns out he had someone else handling those things for him. And they just replaced him. It's not clear but seems he resigned

For the past 11 years, Matt Thomas was the unknown and unseen force behind the Seahawks, entrusted with managing the team’s salary cap and contract negotiations in his official title of vice president of football administration.

Thomas so preferred to be behind the scenes that he did not have a picture accompanying his bio on the team’s website and generally was not included in any listing of team personnel in media guides — though he was usually among the first John Schneider thanked when the team completed a significant signing.

Thomas departed Wednesday about as quietly as he arrived with the Seahawks, announcing he had “left the organization after 11 seasons in Seattle.”

Thomas will be replaced by Joey Laine, who will hold the same title of vice president of football administration.

Laine has almost two decades of NFL front-office experience, spending the 2023 season as the Green Bay Packers’ salary-cap analyst. He was director of football administration for the Chicago Bears from 2015-21, with a news release stating that, in that role, he worked “as the chief contract negotiator and overseeing the overall health of the club’s salary cap and strategic planning, while ensuring CBA compliance.”

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:16 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:01 pm
The two things I really liked to give JS credit for was cap management and contract negotiations. Thought that was the nuts and bolts kind of stuff that made him a competent GM. Turns out he had someone else handling those things for him. And they just replaced him. It's not clear but seems he resigned

For the past 11 years, Matt Thomas was the unknown and unseen force behind the Seahawks, entrusted with managing the team’s salary cap and contract negotiations in his official title of vice president of football administration.

Thomas so preferred to be behind the scenes that he did not have a picture accompanying his bio on the team’s website and generally was not included in any listing of team personnel in media guides — though he was usually among the first John Schneider thanked when the team completed a significant signing.

Thomas departed Wednesday about as quietly as he arrived with the Seahawks, announcing he had “left the organization after 11 seasons in Seattle.”

Thomas will be replaced by Joey Laine, who will hold the same title of vice president of football administration.

Laine has almost two decades of NFL front-office experience, spending the 2023 season as the Green Bay Packers’ salary-cap analyst. He was director of football administration for the Chicago Bears from 2015-21, with a news release stating that, in that role, he worked “as the chief contract negotiator and overseeing the overall health of the club’s salary cap and strategic planning, while ensuring CBA compliance.”
I am sure he is involved in negotiations in terms of the total value he thinks guys are worth but I knew he was not involved in cap management and contract structure which is driven by cap management.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:23 pm

Sure he manages, he also delegates. A HC is really only as good as the staff he puts together, same with a GM

trharder

Post by trharder » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:54 pm

Is JS lying or being diplomatic, or is this the straight up truth? It seem like the truth to me.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2024/4/6/241 ... hawks-news

Much has been made over the share of responsibility between Carroll and Schneider, particularly over higher profile moves such as the Jimmy Graham, Percy Harvin, and Jamal Adams acquisitions, the trading of Russell Wilson, and the draft process. Was Carroll overriding Schneider’s decisions? Were some moves ‘Pete decisions’ and other moves ‘John decisions’? We’ll probably never know the full answer, but on his weekly Seattle Sports 710 radio show, Schneider indicated that Carroll pulling rank was a rarity. When host Bob Stelton asked how much his role had changed without Carroll, who had final say over personnel decisions, Schneider insists nothing has changed.

“It’s exactly the same,” Schneider said. “Pete was amazing in terms of—he could have been that guy that put his foot down and was like, ‘Contractually, at the end of the day I have final say here.’ He rarely, rarely did in 15 years.

“He never said, ‘Hey, we’re not doing this or we’re going to do this.’ It was more along the lines of, I could tell he didn’t feel good about a trade or an acquisition or whatever. I could feel that, so why would we force that and why head down that road? But, yeah, it hasn’t changed in that regard.”

You can choose to believe Schneider is providing a diplomatic answer and that there was more dissenting than he’s letting on, or take him for his word and conclude that this was a largely harmonious, successful partnership in which Schneider has had a hand in the great, good, bad, and horrible moments the entire time. He’s not denying that there have been some overrides/rejections/reservations, but he specified that it wasn’t frequent.

Schneider also indicated that the types of players the Seahawks are looking at in the draft won’t change much with Macdonald as coach.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:02 pm

Then why was PC canned and JS promoted if they were always on the same page? Some of the D problems was scheme I am sure but if they had good football players on the roster it likely wouldn't have mattered as much.

Full story

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1774513/ ... e-carroll/
dt

trharder

Post by trharder » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:23 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:02 pm
Then why was PC canned and JS promoted if they were always on the same page? Some of the D problems was scheme I am sure but if they had good football players on the roster it likely wouldn't have mattered as much.
Full storyhttps://sports.mynorthwest.com/1774513/have-things-changed-seattle-seahawks-john-schneider-without-pete-carroll/
Because Jody was like us and knew something had to change or the Seahawks would continue to be mediocre.
Jody chose to replace the HC, who two years prior she had chosen over RW.
Pete said he fought to keep his job. I think we can assume JS did too. I think it's quite likely JS was asked "can the
team do better if you pick another HC"? JS said I think so. I think it's likely JS felt held back as the architect of the
team by the coach. Is that missing the point about JS's accountability? Probably. But I'm betting JS has about two
years on Jody's watch to have the team on a much better trajectory, or he's gone too.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:27 pm

trharder wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:23 pm
D-train wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:02 pm
Full storyhttps://sports.mynorthwest.com/1774513/have-things-changed-seattle-seahawks-john-schneider-without-pete-carroll/
Because Jody was like us and knew something had to change or the Seahawks would continue to be mediocre.
Jody chose to replace the HC, who two years prior she had chosen over RW.
Pete said he fought to keep his job. I think we can assume JS did too. I think it's quite likely JS was asked "can the
team do better if you pick another HC"? JS said I think so. I think it's likely JS felt held back as the architect of the
team by the coach. Is that missing the point about JS's accountability? Probably. But I'm betting JS has about two
years on Jody's watch to have the team on a much better trajectory, or he's gone too.
Good take.
dt